Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2007, 10:21 AM

12 posts, read 35,137 times

Advertisements

We have spent many months (and quite a few expensive trips) looking at and researching different cities in NC and settled on Charlotte. We are your typical Floridia family looking to get out of South Florida for a change (life long residence.) We have 2 boys, one starting 3rd. grade and the other starting kindergarten. Momma stays at home and I'll be working in South Park.

We would like to stay in zone 4,5 and 6 for schools. I would prefer to stay within 485 beltway and not pushed to Union like everyone else. Can we buy a home in these areas for $350m - $400m area ? All of the realtors we speak with say we need to look in the Weddington and Marvin area.

Growth and everything that comes with it looks really scarey "South of the Border" .e., Union County. Traffic, traffic and more traffic......

Can anyone "WHO LIVES THERE" give me some insight. We are comming to Charlotte next weekend with a checkbook in-hand and we want to make the right decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 10:46 AM

39 posts, read 179,485 times
Default We are coming to..............................

We are also from S. Florida in a similar position and with similar needs. We are actually RENTING house in Blackeney before with commit ourselves into a specific location. We are also going to eventually buy in South Charlotte, but we do not exactly where considering how many nice communities are out there. Th Union county dilemma is very valid. We went there twice last year and all I thought about was "is Providence road the only way out? I think marvin is not too far and probably a very good option. Since you are working in South park instead of Uptown, you will be OK. But by renting a house first in a nice safe neighborhood, you will get a better idea of where you want to live. We currently live in Weston, but there are many communities in Weston that we would not want to live in.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:47 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,782,677 times
Don't worry about it. Plenty out there in 4,5, and 6.

You will have a very good selection of homes in that price range and area's.

I'm a native to all 3 of those area's and work in the business.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:28 PM

673 posts, read 2,687,563 times
Default Union County opinion from former Floridian

I just moved here 5 weeks ago from Pembroke Pines. I am in Union County, and although Providence Rd. is only 1 lane south of 485, I don't think the traffic is as bad there as others make it out to be. I am not working now, but I have driven on Providence in rush hour traffic. Yes, there's traffic, but if you compare it to certain roads in FL (like Flamingo Rd. which is 4+ lanes), the traffic isn't so bad. The worst part of Providence Rd. is where it bottlenecks at 485. It is probably harder to get off of 485 at this exit, but Providence is not the only road into Union County. Depending on where you are working, you can get off at an alternate exit. Also, I have founf that drivers here are more courteous than they are in FL. They actually stop to let you out in traffic!

Old 05-11-2007, 02:54 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,162,395 times
I live in South Charlotte and the answer to your question is that there are homes in your price range inside the 485 loop. There are also several nice neighborhoods in Ballantyne that sound like they may fit your criteria. If I can help, let me know.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:56 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,052,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shancpan View Post
We have spent many months (and quite a few expensive trips) looking at and researching different cities in NC and settled on Charlotte. We are your typical Floridia family looking to get out of South Florida for a change (life long residence.) We have 2 boys, one starting 3rd. grade and the other starting kindergarten. Momma stays at home and I'll be working in South Park.

We would like to stay in zone 4,5 and 6 for schools. I would prefer to stay within 485 beltway and not pushed to Union like everyone else. Can we buy a home in these areas for $350m - $400m area ? All of the realtors we speak with say we need to look in the Weddington and Marvin area.

Growth and everything that comes with it looks really scarey "South of the Border" .e., Union County. Traffic, traffic and more traffic......

Can anyone "WHO LIVES THERE" give me some insight. We are comming to Charlotte next weekend with a checkbook in-hand and we want to make the right decision.
I will be happy to offer you my 2 cents, sending you a pm okay?

Old 05-11-2007, 04:41 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,185,335 times
You can absolutely find what you are looking for inside 485. Though Ballantyne is very nice, it is for the most part outside the 485 loop. Though there are others, One neighborhood that may work nicely for you is Beverly Crest, though lot sizes tend to be small it will be convenient to South Park as well as to uptown. Feel free to PM me, I would be happy to help.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:20 PM

113 posts, read 458,629 times
Well, if you work at South Park, why not live around South Park? The school district is the best, too...

Old 05-11-2007, 08:36 PM

221 posts, read 749,071 times
Default providence rd

There is a long term plan that is in the works to widen Providence Road from a 2 lane to a 4 lane road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte