Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:20 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,825,036 times

Advertisements

One thing I'll have that I don't see on anyone else's menu is Pineapple Au Gratin. It is so good! It's a staple now.

Pineapple Au Gratin
2 20oz cans of chunk pineapple drained
2 cups grated cheddar cheese (I like a mild cheddar as it melts better than sharp)
1 cup cugar
6 Tablespoons flour
1/2 cup butter-melted
1 Cup buttery Ritz crackers, smashed into chunks

Combine pineapple and cheese in a bowl. Combine sugar and flour together and then stir into pineapple mixture. Pour into a 2 quart casserole dish, top with smashed crackers and pour melted butter on top.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 09:30 AM

123 posts, read 328,508 times
It's not Thanksgiving without green been casserole with French's french fried onions and Campbell's cream of mushroom soup, just like the Pilgrims used to have . Oh, and something orange with marshmellows melted on top!

Old 11-22-2009, 01:06 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
We always celebrate Thanksgiving with our neighbours who are "real southern" so we love to share their traditions. I have become the vegetable bringer as everyone loves my roasted root vegetables. I take along roasted parsnips, roasted potatoes, swede (rutabaga) and carrot mash - Ani since I am Irish I would go straight to hell if I used instant or frozen potatoes! and of course some brussels sprouts. This year I am also going to try a different dessert to bring - tres leche cake. I have had it at the Mexican mall and it is delicious - so light.
Oh, you are right! You would be doomed to certain punishment if you didn't make mashed potatoes properly! LOL! I got such a chuckle when I read that!!!

Your roasted root veggies sound delightful! And very healthy, as well. Now you really can't post that without telling us your method! Do you boil stuff first and then bake or what? Do you chop things, slice them - is there a sauce?

Tres leche cake is DELICIOUS! It is fun to find out what others have and add those goodies to the table.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanigan911 View Post
We'll be having whatever's open on the road to DC
Safe travels, LANIGAN. And remember to check out truck stops! They usually have hearty Thanksgiving fare - from turkey to mashed potatoes and gravy. If you can't find places open - you can just about always count on a meal with lots of veggies at truck stops on the way up to DC (especially if traveling up 81). Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Old 11-22-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
We're starting around 2pm and having hour'dervs (sp?) first (Pepperoni/cheese platter, veggie platter, pasta station, mexican station w/homeade guacomoule, mexican bean dip)

Firsts will be some sort of macaroni (manicotti (manicotti is sounded as "man-e-got" if your italian) or lasagna (havent' decided yet)

For seconds , having a 20+lb turkey (cooked in the oven (over 10 guests)), italian style stuffing (in the bird of course), glazed spiral ham, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, sweet potato pie, candied yams.

For dessert, homeade pumpkin pie, homeade apple pie, pecan (pee-can) pie, homeade cookies for the kids, ambrosia (italian dessert), chocolate cream pie (my favorite), fruit platter, mixed nut bowl (hot chestnuts, almonds, walnuts)

lastly, coffee, and more alcohol, talking about poilitics/religion, the whole 9 w/the family.....

Then after that, prob some leftovers/watch some football/ and take a nap!

Ohhhhh . . . that sounds so good! Your appetizers sound great, too! I think we will probably have some crab dip, cheese balls, pita with spinach dip . . . not sure if I will fix bruschetta - I think I am gonna save that for Christmas.

Jack, I have been looking for a new expresso machine, but I can't find anything under $200 so far. Love having some expresso with dessert.

I used to do Ambrosia for Christmas but haven't done that in many years. Maybe I will add it this year. That - or brandied baked fruit - I love them both!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by am2 View Post
turkey, NORTHERN style stuffing, cranberries, mac n cheese, spinach, fresh bread, pumkin pie, eggnog and lots and lots of alcohol
Now, when you say "northern" style stuffing - do you fix dressing separately or stuff the turkey or what? And is it a dressing with sage? Cause most folks here in the South really like the sage type dressing, with celery, onions, etc.

Do you put walnuts in your dressing/stuffing? My family in PA does that - not sure if that is common or just something they do.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
One thing I'll have that I don't see on anyone else's menu is Pineapple Au Gratin. It is so good! It's a staple now.

Pineapple Au Gratin
2 20oz cans of chunk pineapple drained
2 cups grated cheddar cheese (I like a mild cheddar as it melts better than sharp)
1 cup cugar
6 Tablespoons flour
1/2 cup butter-melted
1 Cup buttery Ritz crackers, smashed into chunks

Combine pineapple and cheese in a bowl. Combine sugar and flour together and then stir into pineapple mixture. Pour into a 2 quart casserole dish, top with smashed crackers and pour melted butter on top.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes
Hey, Nancy!

Yes, I do make this recipe! Folks thought I was nuts when I told them about it in Kansas! But I serve this with ham at Easter. It makes a wonderful side dish with ham - YUM YUM!!! I have fixed it at Thanksgiving before, tho. I just tend to save it for Easter these days. But it is good all year round so I hope others will try it out.

For those of you who have not tried it - trust me - Nancy is right - it is truly a tasty dish!

Old 11-22-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
First - Ani - what a great blog! Just skimmed through it and will return for more reading and recipes.

It's just the two of us, but we enjoy Thanksgiving leftovers, so I'll roast a 14 pound turkey. Making a "cajun" rub for the bird, which will help spice up the gravy made from the drippings.

Saw a recipe for chipotle sweet potatoes - very easy - mash some sweet potatoes with a few of the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce - a little squeeze of lemon - a bit of butter. Sounds different, we don't like sweet potatoes with the sugary stuff. Unless they're in a pie!

Simmered the cranberry - orange relish yesterday. Over the years I've done variations, spicy cranberry chutney, the horseradish cranberry recipe from NPR, etc. But the classic is soooo good! My mom used to make 2 versions - yours (fresh) and the simmered kind (what I made). Cranberries freeze so wonderfully that I buy lots and we have cranberries all year.

What else? Going to try home made rolls - saw a recipe at King Arthur Flour - The one thing I HAVE to bake every Thanksgiving: pull-apart butter buns | King Arthur Flour - Bakers’ Banter - the smell as they bake is just incredible. Don't you love all the good smells from the holiday?

Was going to have Brussels sprouts with lemon, butter, and red grapes with a goodly dose of fresh cracked pepper, but have not been impressed with the ones I've seen. Have to get over to Farmers Market for those. If no Brussels sprouts, then quick roasted broccoli with olive oil and loads of garlic. The roasting for 7 - 10 minutes develops a caramelization and depth of flavor that is so different than blah broccoli.

Dressing - have been saving crumbs from failed bread making - not so great cornbread - ends of bread we couldn't finish. Doing the classic - onions, celery cooked in butter (real butter, yeah!), sage, thyme, salt 'n pepper, chicken stock, bread crumbs, an egg. Toss lightly, into a baking dish, into the oven. Love the crusty top and the soft middle. Maybe some pecans will find their way in there?

Pies, of course. DH would leave me if there wasn't a pumpkin pie. Found instructions for a pecan crumble to go on top of one ... so we can have a toothsome topping of pecans mixed with butter and brown sugar on top of the yummy custardy pecan filling. The other pie will have a gingersnap crumb crust and some orange zestiness. Yes, 2 pumpkin pies. DH can probably eat a whole pie over Thursday and Friday anyway. (And he never gains an ounce!)

We have some wine - a shiraz - and some seasonal lager - and our bourbon from Kentucky - and a mellow port - heehee - so we're set.

This Thanksgiving I will think of my brother, who I saw last Thanksgiving and who passed away in January. I'll remember how much he loved to cook, share food and fun, and be thankful for our time as siblings and friends. And I'll raise a glass to all of you - whether we have agreed or disagreed in this space - and be thankful for living where I can speak out!

Everyone - enjoy your holiday!!
I love your post . . . I can just see you assembling all your goodies. Your tip about the broccoli = okay - I have not tried this but I am going to now. I actually prefer eating veggies to meat any day, and really appreciate finding out what others fix for side dishes. This sounds delightful.

Oh - I LOVE the pecan topping w/ melted butter and brown sugar . . . it is one of my favorites. I put it on my sweet potato casserole and as crazy as this sounds . . . I eat the leftovers COLD like pie or custard! So good.

I think I may pour myself a little port right now. It is that kind of afternoon. My dad likes his rye whisky . . . hubby his scotch . . . and the rest of us enjoy our wine and frou frou drinks. I am keeping it simple this year and not fixing any frou frou drinks. The guys can take care of their scotch and whisky and lots of wine for everyone else.

I am going to check w/ some of the wine shops here and see if I can reserve 2 bottles of beaujolais nouveau and go pick them up. I was so disgusted that I missed out last year.

Your brother would be honored to know you will raise a toast and be thinking of him . . . I am glad you have wonderful memories to think about (and share) this Thanksgiving. I hope you and your family have a very enjoyable Thanksgiving!

Old 11-24-2009, 03:44 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
I am on my way to HT to buy oranges for Ani's cranberry orange relish and ingredients for the pineapple casserole. I am also making broccoli casserole this year - I think I will try it with spinach instead of limas and green beans. I would love a new broccoli casserole recipe!

Old 11-25-2009, 07:15 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,512 times
Cuban roast pork (lechon asado), boiled yuca with mojito, moros and Jupiña! oh, and pumpkin pie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte