Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 07:46 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,921 times

Advertisements

Personally I would rather they would make more use of sales tax than property tax, therfore the more goods and services you buy the more tax you pay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 07:56 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,427,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Personally I would rather they would make more use of sales tax than property tax, therfore the more goods and services you buy the more tax you pay

Thats what SC just did and this way eveyone pays (even torists and people passing through stopping to get gas or eat).

Old 06-07-2007, 08:03 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,921 times
I think thats fair as they use a lot of the same services, I am not saying abolish property tax, but for things like transit, roads, street lights etc I think the sales tax is great so everybody pays towards it.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:14 PM

473 posts, read 1,578,807 times
Red face Light Rail

The costs are high but if they don't do it now when they can prepare for it, we're going to being paying out the rear 5-10 years from now when we really need it and have no other options. It may not even be able to be completed 5-10 years from now. It is an investment in the city and county, and I would hate to see property owners only paying for it. I honestly don't picture them scrapping the project, they will just obtain money another way, like taxing property owners or tourists or something. I believe the taxes should be spread across the board for everyone to pay as opposed to property owners only. It will benefit all of Charlotte, not just property owners...

Old 06-10-2007, 11:04 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niknaxx View Post
It may not even be able to be completed 5-10 years from now.

I do not know where you got 5 to 10 years but you are way off the proposed completion date is 2030 .

Here a article explaining why those who are against this tax is because of the company they been using for this project has had history of ripping off goverments across the usa of money.

http://www.abqtransp.org/pb.html

In addition they are constructing the wrong corridors in priority of need and I welcome any of you go to any of the proposed rail stops and stand and look around and count amount of houses, apartments, or condos that are in view and you will see the next problem the light rail faces.

The next propsed line is suppose to be the (university) North east line and it will require alot of gaining land easements and track construction probably will be more than double the cost that has went into the south corridor line.
The reason this has high probability of being next is population density for federal funds. This area is also has more people who do not drive already and will use the line.

I personally think the north corridor line should be next due to unless you take 77 or hwy 21 residents in north have very limited choice in getting into uptown and the north corridor express buses has the most ridership already out of any other area.

I know it easy to move to an area and say hey bring us light rail but it better you understand how the city is taking the voters to the cleaners in their decisions first.
CAT'S (http://takebackcharlottemecklenburg.com/_wsn/page6.html - broken link)

Old 06-11-2007, 01:05 AM

473 posts, read 1,578,807 times
Red face Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I do not know where you got 5 to 10 years but you are way off the proposed completion date is 2030 .

Here a article explaining why those who are against this tax is because of the company they been using for this project has had history of ripping off goverments across the usa of money.

http://www.abqtransp.org/pb.html

In addition they are constructing the wrong corridors in priority of need and I welcome any of you go to any of the proposed rail stops and stand and look around and count amount of houses, apartments, or condos that are in view and you will see the next problem the light rail faces.

The next propsed line is suppose to be the (university) North east line and it will require alot of gaining land easements and track construction probably will be more than double the cost that has went into the south corridor line.
The reason this has high probability of being next is population density for federal funds. This area is also has more people who do not drive already and will use the line.

I personally think the north corridor line should be next due to unless you take 77 or hwy 21 residents in north have very limited choice in getting into uptown and the north corridor express buses has the most ridership already out of any other area.

I know it easy to move to an area and say hey bring us light rail but it better you understand how the city is taking the voters to the cleaners in their decisions first.
CAT'S (http://takebackcharlottemecklenburg.com/_wsn/page6.html - broken link)
I understand that it is going to take a huge amount of time to get this complete project up and running. I live in Huntersville and what I meant is starting the next leg in 5-10 years. We need it now and the longer they wait to start the next leg, the more it's going to cost and that just mutliplies by the other three legs that need to be completed, considering the first one is just wrapping up. The more property is going to cost and the more rights of way will cost. The rail already goes to the north and mostly "stops" would have to be built, as opposed to the rail going to the NE where all of the track needs to be laid in addition to "the stops" that need to be built, property acquisitions, etc. I completely understand the project and the longer it takes to complete, the more it's going to cost. If you think overages are bad now, they are only going to get worse. The longer it is put off, the more it is going to cost. It is needed up to the north, from what I can personally see. I-85 seems to handle the traffic better than I-77. I've driven them both in rush hour and I see I77 as being worse than either direction of I85. I also think they are betting if they went north while the NE waits for it, they will obtain funding via the college and maybe even a neighboring county considering the Track is there, but that's just speculation on my behalf.

I think it is inevitable that it's going to be built, it's just how are they going to obtain the funding. Just because of the half cent tax is possibly repealed does not necessarily stop this project. They have already discussed hitting the property owners with the taxes for it. I understand this from what I saw on the news. Just because this half cent tax is done away with does not mean this project will stop, they are just going to look at other ways to obtain funding. That hits the pockets of the homeowners, not the entire area and the not tourists. Being a homeowner in Meck. County, I can post any opinion I wish. Also, the half cent tax has not been repealed, yet, and there is a chance that it will not if supporters of the light rail vote on it. The song is not completely sung or the dance hasn't been completely danced, yet, and you bet I will be out there voting on it.

I have actually lived in NC for many years off and on, and Charlotte has always been the major player in the entire State. I have family in the Gaffney area and their major news is actually out of Charlotte, believe it or not, and the Charlotte Observer has been online for years now. I've visited here many times outside of living here. We have kept an eye on this area for a very long time and I've wanted to live on Lake Norman for the past 10 years! So if you want to assume I know nothing about the light rail and/or the area because I moved here about a year ago, that is a very poor assumption. My husband worked on this job and I am very familiar with construction overages, including "the Big Dig" and other projects in the US. I think you would be surprised how many construction jobs have overages due to poor design plans, outdated plans, unforeseen circumstances, etc. Unfortunately, it takes years for these plans to even be considered, then when funding is finally obtained and they are actually built, they are wrong or outdated in costs or unforeseen circumstances arise. Although a cost of doing business can be calculated, no one can foresee rises in steel costs and gas prices, a lack of concrete, etc. holding up construction and rising construction costs. If it could be foreseen, construction companies and our government would be in much better shape. Unfortunately, that can't be accomplished at this time because the construction's industry's crystal ball doesn't work and the government's isn't any better...

I personally believe this is an investment in the future of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. There will become a point that it will be near impossible to construct and then what happens? Then what is Charlotte going to do? I apologize, I see it as an investment. It may be an expensive investment but it is an investment. It may be a poorly executed investment but it is an investment. I see this as just being put off further and costing more money. I don't believe that this "stopthetrain.com" has accomplished anything more than making the project drag out even further and longer than it needs to. No one has to agree with me but that's my opnion. I drive these roads daily and I experience it. I am a property owner here and I have right to comment and vote on it, regardless of what anyone thinks...

Last edited by niknaxx; 06-11-2007 at 01:17 AM..

Old 06-11-2007, 06:33 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,427,768 times
The 2030 date is for the entire system.

Also, if they repeal the 1/2 cent tax, many bus services may be lost which will be a big blow to Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: