Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 06:59 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,043,276 times

Advertisements

How is the internet service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 08:42 AM

46 posts, read 126,269 times
I am using it right now. I have had the service for 2 months. It's been good so far.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:46 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,026,012 times
Used them for phone and internet for the last two years, a lot better than the service I was not getting from TWC

Old 12-07-2009, 09:45 AM

339 posts, read 715,873 times
I love it. Been using it for 3 years.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:30 PM

ok, next question: does anyone live in the University area?

Old 12-08-2009, 05:53 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,318,524 times
Windstream uses DSL technology which is nearly completely dependent on your modem's run to the local switch (distance).

Last edited by mullman; 12-08-2009 at 06:21 AM..

Old 12-08-2009, 06:33 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,214,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Windstream uses DSL technology which is nearly completely dependent on your modem's run to the local switch (distance).
This should not be a concern at all these days if you live in a former BellSouth legacy area (now AT&T) which includes most of the immediate area around UNCC. On the other hand Windstream mostly operates in the former Concord Telephone Comany territory, Cabarrus county, and in those days, they were not held in high regard from the technical plant perspective.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:36 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,556,049 times
I live in Union County and use it. Works great! I've had to call Windstream twice in say..8 months to get the modem reset. Not bad considering my service was going down about once a week w/ TWC.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
ok, mullman, my son says that DSL is not as good/fast as a cable, modem. I also do not have a land line, which I understand is no longer necessary.

The TWC service is fine. My problem is the cost and I am looking for a comparable service at a lower cost. Do you think that this would be it? I use the internet for school, so, it really cannot be sporadic.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:43 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,318,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
This should not be a concern at all these days if you live in a former BellSouth legacy area (now AT&T) which includes most of the immediate area around UNCC. On the other hand Windstream mostly operates in the former Concord Telephone Comany territory, Cabarrus county, and in those days, they were not held in high regard from the technical plant perspective.
Actually it is still ALL about the run to the local switch.

Windstream also operates in some of SE Meck Co (Matthews) & most of Union Co and the speeds range from 1.5-12+ depending on the run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
ok, mullman, my son says that DSL is not as good/fast as a cable, modem. I also do not have a land line, which I understand is no longer necessary.

The TWC service is fine. My problem is the cost and I am looking for a comparable service at a lower cost. Do you think that this would be it? I use the internet for school, so, it really cannot be sporadic.

Like real estate, it is all about location, location, location.
TWC/cable is a shared service throughout your street/neighborhood.
On average, cable will likely be faster down, based on current infrastructure & topology.

DSL is a homerun to the local switch and extremely dependent on your distance to it.
If you are very close, you can get very high speeds - I get nearly 18 down and 1.5+ up.

I was a Bellsouth 'DSL extreme' customer for years since cable in my SE Charlotte neighborhood was not very good.
My TWC service was cable only with two DVRs.

As you know I have recently switch to AT&T U-Verse, max package, whole house DVR, three boxes.
I get much better speed (down and esp up), MUCH MUCH better TV picture (HD and SD), and saved a few $$$/mo.
Their TVIP has much less compression and only sends into your home what you are tuned to - unlike cable that compresses a gazillion channels down the pipe into your home no matter what you are tuned to.
Not to mention I received a $200 check just for agreeing to try the service (NO CONTRACT).

So far about 1/2 of my street has switched and said 'good-bye' to TWC...

BUT, again, it is all about how close you are to the switch.

Last edited by mullman; 12-08-2009 at 07:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte