Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:55 PM

286 posts, read 1,045,226 times

Advertisements

Thanks for highjacking my thread guys...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 02:14 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,346 times
Silly me for being sarcastic on the interwebs and suggesting that AT&T is going to run a line through someone's window! What was I thinking?!?! We should maintain level-headedness and 100% seriousness at all times! So...let me try that again with my serious voice on: ah hem..."Please refrain from making false statements about the City allowing a contractor to install a utility service line with wreckless abandon throughout one's private, uneasemented, property."

Yes, I'd gladly offer an easement on my property to have this particular service installed. I've been waiting patiently for it to become available at my address for months now. Show me where to sign!

Let's do a quick refresher course before we go labeling me as arrogant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
...they have demolished some yards in my sons neighborhood...
Yards = private property. The context here implies that the contractor tore through an area they were not supposed to. (this is where property rights infringement is first implied)

Quote:
...the city of charlotte gets paid by at&t to use city right away...
Incorrect. The City cannot (and does not) charge for public right-of-way use. There are permit fees to work in the right-of-way (very minimal, on the scale of a few hundred/maybe a few thousand dollars), but there is no "rental" fee. As long as there's room and it does not conflict or interfere with any other utility, it's allowed. (this is where government extortion is first implied)

Quote:
...homeowners can do nothing about at&t taking their yard for boxes and digging.
As I said, work must be done within the right-of-way or a recorded easement. A lot of times folks think they own land where they do not...it's actually right-of-way to leave room for things just as this (new utilities). (this is where property rights infringement is implied a second time)

Quote:
...city makes a pretty penny on this while lowering property values of the poor homeowners that gets stuck with boxes in their yard...
I'd be willing to bet total "fees" collected by the ENTIRE city-wide installation of fiber cables for AT&T (or the owner of the lines who will then lease to AT&T) is less than $10,000. Sure, a lot of money to us, but chump change to the City...far from a "pretty penny" and is a one time fee. (this is where government extortion is implied, again) As far as property values being lowered by a utility box in the front yard, that's nonsense. If the property value is that unstable that a single, inconspicuous, small, flat box out near the road is going to rock the boat, there are other issues at play. And to stretch this to the other extreme, I know folks who'd love to be near a network switch or to simply know that UVerse is available at their prospective new house...so it would actually help the sale (sure it's a long shot statement, but we abandoned reality a while ago in this thread).

I assume you're one of the vocal folks who's had a not-so-pleasant run-in with a contractor doing some work (where they're allowed to be) in your neighborhood. If you've got legitiment complaints, this is not the forum for it. Call up the City: 311. If the contractor's doing something wrong, they'll get busted for it and made to remedy it. If it's simply distrurbed grass areas that look all orange clay with hay thrown on top of it, have some patience until the seed takes and grows back in the spring. If you think they've

To Mr. Methodman for correcting some misinformation in your thread. In case you don't know, thousands of viewers see these forums every day. Many take what they see as the spoken truth and make decisions on it. I'll be darned if I sit idly by and watch misinformation be spewed and go uncorrected.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:22 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,264 times
wow , you are really having a bad day, yawn---
lots of incorrect assumptions in your e-mail but I guess we are now in your realty.
all of our interactions with the city were very pleasant.
I am going to assume that you either work for the city
or AT&t.
have a nice evening and to redlikemethodz
you are right it was highjacking and I apologize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte