Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 02:42 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times

Advertisements

funny about this topic..My dh was saying comapred to NJ and NY traffic and him driiving in it everyday, granted he is only there about 9 days...lol...the traffic in charlotte isnt that bad...try sitting in bumper to bumper in NJ now that is traffic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 06:26 PM

435 posts, read 1,814,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHBR702 View Post
Which suburbs have the best/easiest commutes into Uptown during peak traffic hours?
The closer you can get in, the better.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:53 PM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times
Traffic is not bad at all. There are some bad drivers but traffic in itself is not bad. It used to take me 1 hour to get 25 miles, now it takes me 35-40 min to go 20 miles. Traffic may be a little heavy, but it moves.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:58 PM

12 posts, read 75,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwally View Post
I am moving to s. charlotte- Ballantyne area. Is the traffic REALLY that bad? What are the peak times/ aprox. time to get anywhere?

Side Roads like Providence?
485 N/S?
77?

How far commute to airport? In traffic? Off times?
I live in Ballantyne off Johnston. The only traffic is in the morning going to uptown. And in the afternoon coming from uptown. So if you work going towards uptown don't live in S. Charlotte cause you will face traffic. Since I don't work in that direction of uptown traffic is ok for me... I just get the usual work traffic and not the bumper to bumper like going towards uptown does.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:22 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHBR702 View Post
Which suburbs have the best/easiest commutes into Uptown during peak traffic hours?
Huntersville is about 35 minutes, just make sure you merge onto the freeway until the lane ends and and keep the flow of traffic moving. Don't stop on the freeway with your blinker on waiting for someone to let you in. The people on exit 25 don't know to to merge so just pass them. Exit 23 merges on very nicely. I don't get it.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:53 PM

32 posts, read 108,478 times
No traffic is not bad at all. I live in uptown and work near 485/77, and can do that trip in about 15 minutes. Traffic here is NOTHING compared to DC. It's not even a remotely close comparison.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:23 AM

525 posts, read 1,803,699 times
DC traffic is TERRIBLE...bumper to bumper and you just sit there.....

Old 06-09-2007, 08:34 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,053 times
With all due respect, your commute is that fast because you are driving against traffic - you're counter-commuting. That said, traffic is definitely not anything compared to DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazzo83 View Post
No traffic is not bad at all. I live in uptown and work near 485/77, and can do that trip in about 15 minutes. Traffic here is NOTHING compared to DC. It's not even a remotely close comparison.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:15 PM

473 posts, read 1,578,272 times
Red face Huntersville

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Huntersville is about 35 minutes, just make sure you merge onto the freeway until the lane ends and and keep the flow of traffic moving. Don't stop on the freeway with your blinker on waiting for someone to let you in. The people on exit 25 don't know to to merge so just pass them. Exit 23 merges on very nicely. I don't get it.
Very good estimates. I live off exit 23 and even if I want to go up to exit 25, I get off 23 and take side roads up there. It just seems to work better for me than staying on the interstate. For some reason as opposed to any other day of the week, Fridays are very bad going home, though, from Charlotte. I've also found a few side routes coming out of Charlotte that aren't bad, either. It's all relative as to what you are accustomed to. I do not personally find Charlotte traffic all that bad. It usually moves along and there are side roads that are pretty good options, at least on my end of town...

Old 06-10-2007, 05:53 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niknaxx View Post
Very good estimates. I live off exit 23 and even if I want to go up to exit 25, I get off 23 and take side roads up there. It just seems to work better for me than staying on the interstate. For some reason as opposed to any other day of the week, Fridays are very bad going home, though, from Charlotte. I've also found a few side routes coming out of Charlotte that aren't bad, either. It's all relative as to what you are accustomed to. I do not personally find Charlotte traffic all that bad. It usually moves along and there are side roads that are pretty good options, at least on my end of town...
You are exactly right. Whenever I see the sign saying an accident up ahead on the way home I have a great alternative route that I will not share
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte