Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 10:00 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,153,279 times

Advertisements

I will not mention the place but here is what happened. Last week when the ice started to affect the streets a young man I know called into the dinner he works at and asked if he could not have to come in because of the dangerious roads and was quickly told NO. He was to come in or be fired, The fellow did manage to get to work and then because business was real slow the boss said go home.The worker made nothing. I think since he was already there he should have at least been allowed to work long enough to make up for the gas he used going to work. I say this was wrong and very cheap and showed disrespect to the worker who has been very reliable for several years. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 10:03 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,637,038 times
Agreed!

Old 01-01-2010, 11:22 PM

62 posts, read 270,276 times
it is a bad way to treat your employees and their business will suffer for it, as it should because you treat your employees right, they will do the same to you.

Legally they are under no obligation.

It is employment at will, either party can end it at any time, with the exception of firing because they are a protected class (age, race, gender). As for payment of his gas, there isn't a law that speaks to that either, this happens in lower end/hourly jobs, I have seen it time and time again, the only way to avoid it is to have a good employer, inherently being on a salary tends to avoid these types of things.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:24 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,224,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan112ryan View Post
It is employment at will, either party can end it at any time, with the exception of firing because they are a protected class (age, race, gender). ...
This does not give the employer right to abuse the employee like that. I do believe that in NC if you call a worker into work, then you consummated the work contract for that day and you owe him a minimum 4 hours pay via minimum wage laws. I realize that for a restaurant worker, if they are on tips, this might not apply.

If I was this young man, I would look for work elsewhere.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:05 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,808,544 times
Seriously, what's right is right. The manager needs some training on how to work with people. Eventually this will catch up to him

Old 01-02-2010, 06:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,587,864 times
Unfortunately, many business owners are very dismissive of their workers right now. Because folks are out of work and owners get so many applications when there are not even openings - this attitude has become more prevalent. This is the way it was with many businesses back in the recessions in the early 70s and 80s. Workers were often treated like disposable commodities b/c in a way - they WERE disposable: folks were lined up to grab even crappy jobs the minute someone quit or got fired.

The young man who was treated badly needs to look for another job, which may not be easy to find in this economy. Other than that, there is not really any recourse. I would assume this business owner has only a handful of employees and doesn't really value them, since that type of work tends to draw a lot of applicants on a regular basis. At least he knows what kind of jerk he works for now and that should be of some motivation to seek out a new position, even if that takes a long time to secure.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:02 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,569,572 times
That's how it goes in restaurants. I've been a server and a bartender in the past. It's happened to me many times.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:06 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,058,615 times
Ani is exactly right. Fair? NO. But, that is the way that it is...corporate and minimal jobs alike. We are disposable, now and we ALL need to watch our backs.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:22 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,569,572 times
lol was it Big View?

Old 01-02-2010, 07:27 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,207,727 times
As a former bartender I can empathize. But I don't have a problem with the employer's actions. As a business owner you work the formula. If the employees don't like it they are free to find alternative employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte