Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 08:01 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,800,089 times

Advertisements

Ballantyne Residents Turn Out For Planning Board Meeting | Ballantyne Scoop (http://ballantynescoop.com/ballantyne-residents-turn-out-for-planning-board-meeting/ - broken link)

Has anyone heard about the plan to rezone the land at the corner of Providence Rd. West and Johnston Rd?

It is my understanding that this tract of land which has been zoned commercial for years is now being discussed to have a 110 unit apartment complex that the target rent for these units – before subsidies (?) – is 1BdRm $650/mo, 2 BdRm $700/mo, 3 BdRm $800/mo. These rates are supposed to be in line with the local apartment/condo rate levels, but this is not true. On average, I estimate each rate is ~$200 below where it needs to be. The goal is to have 30% of the residents earn an income less than $20k/year.

I'm emphatically against this and knowing how hard it is to fight city hall, what else can be done? Has anyone here had experience with something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 08:02 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
Ballantyne Residents Turn Out For Planning Board Meeting | Ballantyne Scoop (http://ballantynescoop.com/ballantyne-residents-turn-out-for-planning-board-meeting/ - broken link)

Has anyone heard about the plan to rezone the land at the corner of Providence Rd. West and Johnston Rd?

It is my understanding that this tract of land which has been zoned commercial for years is now being discussed to have a 110 unit apartment complex that the target rent for these units – before subsidies (?) – is 1BdRm $650/mo, 2 BdRm $700/mo, 3 BdRm $800/mo. These rates are supposed to be in line with the local apartment/condo rate levels, but this is not true. On average, I estimate each rate is ~$200 below where it needs to be. The goal is to have 30% of the residents earn an income less than $20k/year.

I'm emphatically against this and knowing how hard it is to fight city hall, what else can be done? Has anyone here had experience with something like this?
It is my understanding that this is our new Mayor's special project

Old 02-04-2010, 08:05 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Is it being done to increase crime in the area?

Old 02-04-2010, 08:06 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Is it being done to increase crime in the area?
No, just to redistribute the wealth

Old 02-04-2010, 08:18 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Actually, I have been doing some research on this as Mayor Foxx mentioned this idea of spreading low income housing in with more upscale housing-seems to be some movement out there conceived as a way to create "social equality" . . . seems like a way to bring crime into neighborhoods, change the demographics of schools and lower property values. I have wanted to discuss this on the forum but felt if I mentioned it, I would be targeted as being uncaring - when that is not my intent. I have very deep feelings about providing housing for the homeless as well as low income folks (many of whom are elderly). My concern is based on historical statistics - indicating that property levels DO plummet and crime DOES rise.

Now, if it were elderly housing and/or housing for the physically and/or mentally disabled, then I would feel differently.

But yes, this philosophy is evidently a big deal to Foxx. I do not know if this particular project was already on the books b/f his election or not.

Mayor Foxx referred to this desire to create such areas across the city in his first speech after his election. I believe it is called "inclusionary zoning" but I cannot remember if that is the term he used or not.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:28 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No, just to redistribute the wealth
Oh goodie, maybe we can meet up with these folks at Salara...

Old 02-04-2010, 08:44 PM

Wow - I almost wish I had not researched this. It makes me feel sick.

I had missed this.

I am just gonna give up and declare bankruptcy and go get myself on the Gubment Dole. Our city fathers are asking for vouchers (your tax money at work) to the tune of $1800.

That is more than my mortgage!

I could get a voucher if I just went bust and live as well as I do right now.

Folks - did ya know who you were voting for in this last election????

Charlotte Mayor Pushes For More Affordable Housing

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Mayor Anthony Foxx spent the past week campaigning for Charlotte's causes with federal leaders in Washington, D.C.Foxx met one-on-one with U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan to discuss ways to help Charlotte families.

The mayor said he wants to strengthen the city's Section 8 Rental Voucher program.Foxx said, "Secretary Donovan was very receptive to the information I provided him about some of the clustering of poverty we're seeing in our city.

"City councilmember and Housing and Neighborhood Development Chair James Mitchell said 75 percent of the people who receive Section 8 vouchers primarily live in three districts, including District 2 where he serves.

Mitchell said, "What we need federal legislators to do is to raise the cap so that Section 8 vouchers instead of being $800 dollars will be let's say $1,800 and then you will see more of a disbursement of the Section 8 vouchers throughout our community."

Foxx said he and the secretary also discussed the city's growing homeless population."We talked about expanding the availability of affordable housing in particular housing for homeless individuals," Foxx said.

He's focusing on McCreesh place, an apartment community and support center for formerly homeless men. Resident association president Richard Harrison said they've been waiting for months for federal dollars and clearance to expand and serve more people."This place is special. This place is addressing a need," Harrison said. "We have a wonderful track record and we'd like to continue that track record with the additional funding."

Foxx said he hopes his talk with Secretary Donovan will help to get the ball rolling. Foxx said, "That decision has been tied up for six months and the Secretary and I were able to speak very candidly about that and I think that will get wrapped up very soon."The mayor went on to say that one week of meetings in Washington, D.C., will not fix all the city's problems, but he said it's a good place to start. Foxx said now it's up to city leaders to sit down and work alongside federal leaders to get these initiatives to the finish line.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:44 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
This has FAIL written all over it.
Doesn't the city have enough problems to deal with besides pet pork projects?

Locally, and nationally, if you are not mad, then you are not paying attention.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
This has FAIL written all over it.
Doesn't the city have enough problems to deal with besides pet pork projects?

Locally, and Nationally, if you are not mad, then you are not paying attention.
Mullman: this city council has a very deliberate agenda and soaking up federal dollars - when the federal treasury well has gone dry! - is not only irresponsible, it is plain outright thievery.

But you watch . . . it's all gonna pass.

Is anyone paying attention?????

Old 02-04-2010, 08:49 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
I would say that residents should make a stink & demand that it be for low income elderly & disabled. The people who are pushing it will look bad if they say no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte