Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 11:29 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yep, those are my thoughts exactly. If the residents of that district don't quickly shift focus to elderly housing . . . they are gonna end up with a mess.

This is potentially a political hotball but if no one has a succinct statment for the media, it will end up happening just as the powers that be have already planned for it to unfold. This is not a spur of the moment proposal by the Mayor and council. This is part of a much larger plan that has been in the works for months - as is the $1800 voucher program, which should be the subject of absolute outrage.

I am doing my part. Been tweeting and writing editorials but it isn't gonna change a thing as far as subsidized housing being located on that property. This is gonna be the Mayor's first big stand to prove he is serious about inclusionary housing and you can bet the farm that he ain't backing down.

Been thru/ too many political battles in the past . . . I see the handwriting on the wall.
Yup, the handwriting is on the wall, in dayglow green. The current owner & the builder stand to make a tidy sum of money. The residents stand to lose a lot.

There is only one way to go, & it's senior citizens & disabled. They will be fine. This will concentrate them for providing services which they are eligible for. This will save public money. Some of the disabled might have children, but this would be a totally different ballgame.

The residents need to act quickly, & cohesively. They absolutely must present their case carefully & judiciously. Most importantly, they must involve the media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 11:41 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,904,111 times
Not being a resident of Charlotte, I am obviously out of touch with the whole mayoral election. How is it that this man's agenda not visible when he ran, or is it just a matter of there were more who voted for him exactly for his inclusionary policies? Why oh why does he have to choose exactly this location? To make a point?

Old 02-06-2010, 11:46 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Yup, the handwriting is on the wall, in dayglow green. The current owner & the builder stand to make a tidy sum of money. The residents stand to lose a lot.

There is only one way to go, & it's senior citizens & disabled. They will be fine. This will concentrate them for providing services which they are eligible for. This will save public money. Some of the disabled might have children, but this would be a totally different ballgame.

The residents need to act quickly, & cohesively. They absolutely must present their case carefully & judiciously . Most importantly, they must involve the media.
Well put.

I fear this is gonna end up being folks showing up for a meeting, voicing their dismay and being told - we will consider your concerns - end of that.

If there is no alternative offered, then the council will pass this without blinking - and feel very good about it, too, as it will guarantee they all get big voter turnout in their districts.

The key is the media.

If the wrong reporters w/ a bias play this one out . . . this will not only turn out to be a done-deal as the plans are proposed, the residents of Ballantyne will be portrayed as shrill, entitled NIMBY's. The fact that crowding, crime and falling property values are inherent with subsidized properties won't even be mentioned, except in a way which portrays residents as elitist. And who knows what other "cards" will be stacked in the media deck.

There will be no sympathy from city council in re: to falling property values. These folks don't care b/c that is not their community. Lowered property values in upscale areas means more buying power for folks that may have felt they couldn't afford to live in those areas. And it appears these folks believe they are entitled to accessing a lifestyle they have not earned and cannot otherwise afford (except with that $1800 voucher).

This is a deliberate attempt to change the demographics of south Charlotte, one house (and housing project) at a time.

I challenge someone to show me that this IS NOT what is transpiring.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post

The residents need to act quickly, & cohesively. They absolutely must present their case carefully & judiciously. Most importantly, they must involve the media.
I forgot to add this, & since some may have already read this, I will add a post, rather than to edit.

When contacting the media, in a matter like this, it is of upmost importance that residents not tip their hand. If you tell them what the residents are pushing for. They will promo it all day long. The media should be told one thing & one thing only, & that is that the residents want to discuss the matter & there is nothing further to say.

I am saying this as a former employee of the broadcasting industry.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:02 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Not being a resident of Charlotte, I am obviously out of touch with the whole mayoral election. How is it that this man's agenda not visible when he ran, or is it just a matter of there were more who voted for him exactly for his inclusionary policies? Why oh why does he have to choose exactly this location? To make a point?
Well, it doesn't take much imagination to figure out how DEMS won elections this last election cycle, lol. Nice coat tails.

To my knowledge, Foxx did not mention this "inclusionary housing" philosophy til his first speech after being sworn into office. Since it is not a widely understood term . . . I would suspect folks would not have noticed it even if he did allude to it as a candidate.

This location is to prove that the highest dollar area of Charlotte can be penetrated with inclusionary housing. Housing analysts across the country have stated that the problems with inclusionary housing begin with being able to purchase property at low dollar in upscale areas. That is what has kept many cities with socially leftist city leaders from having this concept being imposed - it's too expensive.

Mayor Foxx, who was just in DC rubbing shoulders with federal officials who share his "progressive" philosophy, wants to prove that it can be done, and in Charlotte. That will doubtless land him all sorts of awards and national recognition from folks who share his ideals - and that includes HUD officials - and the White House.

Just watch!

Old 02-06-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Well put.

I fear this is gonna end up being folks showing up for a meeting, voicing their dismay and being told - we will consider your concerns - end of that.

If there is no alternative offered, then the council will pass this without blinking - and feel very good about it, too, as it will guarantee they all get big voter turnout in their districts.

The key is the media.

If the wrong reporters w/ a bias play this one out . . . this will not only turn out to be a done-deal as the plans are proposed, the residents of Ballantyne will be portrayed as shrill, entitled NIMBY's. The fact that crowding, crime and falling property values are inherent with subsidized properties won't even be mentioned, except in a way which portrays residents as elitist. And who knows what other "cards" will be stacked in the media deck.

There will be no sympathy from city council in re: to falling property values. These folks don't care b/c that is not their community. Lowered property values in upscale areas means more buying power for folks that may have felt they couldn't afford to live in those areas. And it appears these folks believe they are entitled to accessing a lifestyle they have not earned and cannot otherwise afford (except with that $1800 voucher).

This is a deliberate attempt to change the demographics of south Charlotte, one house (and housing project) at a time.

I challenge someone to show me that this IS NOT what is transpiring.
Well put Ani. that's it, in a nutshell.

The residents need to say "no comment", most of the time. They may be asked loaded questions. I have known & worked with a lot of reporters over the years. 2 are in a couple of the most visible onair jobs at NBC.

Also, I do know that all of the "projects" were torn down in Philly. Don't go by me posting this, but I believe the feds in HUD had changed their policies on building "projects". The "projects" in Philly were replaced by lower-density garden apartment, not high-rise "projects". The residents have a lot of homework to do.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:41 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,056,510 times
Quote:
Wow - I almost wish I had not researched this. It makes me feel sick.

I had missed this.

I am just gonna give up and declare bankruptcy and go get myself on the Gubment Dole. Our city fathers are asking for vouchers (your tax money at work) to the tune of $1800.

That is more than my mortgage!

I could get a voucher if I just went bust and live as well as I do right now.

Folks - did ya know who you were voting for in this last election????

Charlotte Mayor Pushes For More Affordable Housing

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Mayor Anthony Foxx spent the past week campaigning for Charlotte's causes with federal leaders in Washington, D.C.Foxx met one-on-one with U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan to discuss ways to help Charlotte families.

The mayor said he wants to strengthen the city's Section 8 Rental Voucher program.Foxx said, "Secretary Donovan was very receptive to the information I provided him about some of the clustering of poverty we're seeing in our city.

"City councilmember and Housing and Neighborhood Development Chair James Mitchell said 75 percent of the people who receive Section 8 vouchers (http://www.wsoctv.com/news/22324713/detail.html# - broken link) primarily live in three districts, including District 2 where he serves.

Mitchell said, "What we need federal legislators to do is to raise the cap so that Section 8 vouchers instead of being $800 dollars will be let's say $1,800 and then you will see more of a disbursement of the Section 8 vouchers throughout our community."

There's no reason things like this need to be increased especially to the tune of 1800 bucks? Healthy able bodied people already getting free money and now they get more!! I might as well as well quit my job and start collecting free money also. What happened to learning a skill/trade and educating yourself? If any assistance is given, it should be be towards learning a skill. Money for some books and classes would be more useful. There's also tons of online learning programs that are self taught and self paced. But god forbid people actually do work and use their brains, they just want free money and a beautiful place to live without going out there and achieving it like the rest of us. This is not fair.

The only people who should get assistance are people who are elderly and disabled. They are truly in need and can't physcially (or mentally) earn a living and need assistance.

I just think doing something like this will just promote more laziness.

Anyway, I'm done ranting lol.

I wonder what the other perspective is as this thread has everyone in agreement with each other.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:40 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,711,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post

I wonder what the other perspective is as this thread has everyone in agreement with each other.

Now that's an easy one to answer. If I was going to have my dole raised from $800 to $1800 and I had a chance to live in a real nice brandy new apartment where some rich folks live, I would say nothing.

Why bother? would be my thoughts. Let them knock themselves out as this is going to go thru.

BTW--if you have a few dozen extra hours on your hands you would probably find this type of money has already been budgeted in the new budget that was proposed last week. Too late.

Hey, you could always blame it on Bush.

lol, now THAT was funny Pink Caddy.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:14 PM

240 posts, read 732,328 times
Cool drain on our schools

Our Middle and High Schools could not hold anymore kids!
They are already near bursting at the seams!!!!!

Old 02-06-2010, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,101 times
Default Be prepared

If this development becomes reality then the current residents need to be prepared for some bad things. First they will need to spend for a security system if they don't already have one (I call this the ghetto tax). Secondly they must make absolutely sure not to leave anything shiny or interesting in their parked cars or the windows will be smashed and interesting items taken (again the ghetto tax). Property values and school quality will suffer. Some folks may even get attacked so be prepared for self defense. I've seen all these things happen in my last neighborhood (lake Wylie) and my current neighborhood (South Charlotte). Basically the majority of the people coming to live in you're neighborhood will hate you and for this it will cost you dearly.
GL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte