Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 06:25 PM

73 posts, read 247,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk2313 View Post
My husband is being relocated to the Charlotte area. I need information, I have 2 small children, one will be in first grade in the fall & another will start preschool. I need to know what area I should be looking into. We currently live in Ohio & I send my children to private school only because the public schools around here are TERRIBLE. I would like a great public school, any suggestions? Also, we need to look for houses I want a safe, family community where they have kids that my kids could play with? Thanks in advance for the help.

Jessica
WELCOME AND GO BUCKEYES. YOU WILL FEEL RIGHT AT HOME IN CHARLOTTE. If you're looking for good schools, you need to try outside of Mecklenburg county, or go for private school if you are working near the city because the traffic will be an unpleasant surprise for you my friend. Write me a private message if you want more info, my wife and I are from Ohio originally. I'm from Dayton, she is from Lima and we both lived in Columbus for a long while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 07:54 PM

19 posts, read 54,431 times
Red face Schools etc

Jessica
Brace yourself. I really hope you get some good advice here. I came down for a teaching job and it has taken me two years to adjust and still some things are soooo different than I ever experienced in my life in Indiana that I am still getting used to it.
Indianapolis doesnt have all I have seen here. Many things are different and take getting used to.
Good luck
R

Old 06-01-2007, 11:58 PM

87 posts, read 329,269 times
whats different?
Did you not like it? Just curious, I'm a teacher relocating there in 2 months.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:30 AM

192 posts, read 687,569 times
Grew up in Columbus (Go Bucks!) and moved down here in '86. Moved away briefly in 2001 but moved back last November. I'm staying this time!!
I agree with the others, South Charlotte has great schools but other than that, I'd look outside Meck. Co. if possible. Union and York Counties have GREAT schools. Traffic and commute time is not too bad from Fort Mill (York Co). Commuting from Union Co depends on where you are in Union and where you are going. I loved the new neighborhoods in Union but hubby was concerned with the traffic so we chose Ft Mill.
I wouldn't concern myself with the 'type' of people you'll encounter or the attitudes. There are SO MANY transplants here from the midwest, northeast, Florida, Calif, well...just about everywhere. We've met some truly wonderful and friendly people. Some grew up here, but to tell the truth, most are from somewhere else.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:09 PM

473 posts, read 1,579,081 times
Red face Huntersville

I like Huntersville. Another poster also asked about medical, there are a lot of medical parks here and Presby Hospital. Schools are good, although some seem to have a problem with Meck. schools. There are many in this neighborhood that don't. The elem school is right behind the community. Crime is relatively non-existent. We're in a very social community with mostly 4, 5, 6 bdr homes, about $275-300k. A lot of kids playing in the neighborhood, community pool. There is your typical neighborhood shopping right outside of the community, which is currently growing. N. Lake Mall, Birkdale Village, Mooresville, and Concord Mills Mall all are close. I don't go into Charlotte for much other than work. The commute is easy. I wouldn't go much up I-77 past exit 23 because that's where the traffic jam starts. Cornelius, Davidson, and Mooresville are also nice areas but I wouldn't want the commute. We will also be getting I485 and hopefully the light rail in the future.

I don't know if I'd personally rent for a year. We move into new areas every 2-3 years and buy. If you have a good realtor, it's not a problem and they can usually find you good investments. Renting just throws your money away...

Old 06-06-2007, 02:49 PM

3 posts, read 7,364 times
$1500 to $3000 is good...my main concern is schools...I need a great elementary & preschool...my husband will be traveling between Charlotte & Raleigh so his job is not an issue. Also would like a family friendly neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte