Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 11:40 AM

20 posts, read 45,814 times

Advertisements

Which is precisely my point. I don't ascribe the actions of individuals based on their sexual orientation. The precise problem is the lumping together of people which perpetuates stereotypes. She took it upon herself to lecture me on how to behave. Not all gay people cruise in parks anymore than all straight people patronize prostitutes. I don't tolerate people that compare who I am to criminality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 01:58 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,910,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilworthy View Post
Which is precisely my point. I don't ascribe the actions of individuals based on their sexual orientation. The precise problem is the lumping together of people which perpetuates stereotypes. She took it upon herself to lecture me on how to behave. Not all gay people cruise in parks anymore than all straight people patronize prostitutes. I don't tolerate people that compare who I am to criminality.
I see her point, but I see what you are saying. She could have used examples of both homosexuals and heterosexuals in her example. Both are capable of practicing socially inappropriate behaviors in public view, just in different ways. I don't think any parent would want to walk by two adults having sex in a park whether gay or straight. But, how often does that happen? Probabably not too often. Anyway, I agree with what you say.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,834 times
I feel that gay's have a right to display there sexuality any way they want too. My only objection is when children are present. It is not widely accepted, and hard to explain to my 4 year old that is at the "why" stage. We have homosexual family members but my children are not aware of it at this time....

Old 12-09-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamathia1 View Post
I feel that gay's have a right to display there sexuality any way they want too. My only objection is when children are present. It is not widely accepted, and hard to explain to my 4 year old that is at the "why" stage. We have homosexual family members but my children are not aware of it at this time....
You just contradicted yourself. You are not displaying sexuality any way you want if you have modify your behavior for children. I think that anyone of any sexual orientation has a responsibility to respect others and not display behaviors that are offensive or embarrassing to anyone, ie. actual acts of sex. I think that is reasonable and universal. I don't like to see others having sex. If you want to see people having sex, buy a mirror. Sex should be either private or in a private club designated for such purposes.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:33 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,321,420 times
I don't think that tamathia1 contradicted herself in saying that moderating certain lifestyle behaviors in front of children. I think something of that sort would be hard to explain to younf child. That isn't the only thing that should be moderated in front of children just one that is being pointed out now. But with that said, I think Charlotte has a nice tolerance for lifestyles and ethnic groups.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:57 AM

Saying that," gays the right to display sexuality in any way they want too" but not when children are present is a contradiction. First she said there should be no boundaries, then she said there should be boundaries. Some confused people around.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:36 PM

I wouldn't say that would be a contradiction, but a statement with conditions. The same applies to heterosexual couples in public areas. But I guess we shall agree to disagree, but I do understand your point.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I wouldn't say that would be a contradiction, but a statement with conditions. The same applies to heterosexual couples in public areas. But I guess we shall agree to disagree, but I do understand your point.
I subscribe to literal translations. Have a nice day. Sex is a gift. Everyone has the right to enjoy it as long as it is legal. However, I don't want to see anyones @ss in the park while I am walking (especially a guys). Heterosexual or Homosexual, get a bloody room.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
I subscribe to literal translations. Have a nice day. Sex is a gift. Everyone has the right to enjoy it as long as it is legal. However, I don't want to see anyones @ss in the park while I am walking (especially a guys). Heterosexual or Homosexual, get a bloody room.
LOL. Wouldn't that be a sight.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:39 PM

7,080 posts, read 12,374,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHBR702 View Post
Would someone give me their honest opinion on whether an interracial couple have a hard time in Charlotte. Of course no matter where you go, there will be those people who still stare and are uncomfortable with it, but beyond that is there any reason to believe an interracial couple or their children would face real problems living within this community? I am black, my husband is white. We do not yet have children, but plan to.
I know this is old, but the OP brings up a good question. I am in an interacial relationship (black male/white felmale) and we do not notice stares because we don't watch for them LOL. We have encountered some really prejudice females (black females) that roll their eyes and suck their teeth in a rude way at the first sight of us. I am so glad that my mother was not one of these black females and she raised me not to be ignorant.

There is a strong "you white women are taking all our men" mentality with some black females in Charlotte (and all of America) that is just sickening. I could care less when I see a black female with a white guy. Heck, my own mother had white boy friends after her divorce with my dad. I will say that ANY interacial couple like me and my wife should expect some very angry and rude AA females. Not all, not most, but some. I have even heard a few black females call my wife the "c word" in public just because she is with a "brotha". My wife would strike back by saying "Yeah, I know. His name (me) is cheese. We go well together!!!"

I know I probably have opened a can of worms with my blunt comments (I tend to do that hehe!!!) but it is what it is. I could write a book about some of our (my wife and I) encounters with prejudice rude and ignorant people in metro Charlotte. 99.9999999% of them were angry bitter black females. Black males, on the other hand, tend to be more interested in getting my wife's phone number (she has been asked out in my presense by black guys).

I don't want anyone to think that ALL or MOST black women in Charlotte are like this because they are not. I am only saying that black women (from my experience) makes up the vast majority of my encounters with bigots. I am possitive there are white male, white female, black male, and any color/gender bigot in this town. For whatever reason, my wife and I attract the black female bigots only. My wife attracts the young black male playas too!!!!!! It kinda makes me mad that my wife is being stepped to the minute I go to the bathroom when we are out. That is just rude and tacky!!!

Overall, Charlotte is accepting of all cultures, people, and lifestyles, but you will see (depending on what side of town you frequent) what I have described above.

Oh well, enough of my rant!!! I am off my soap box now!!! Good bye!!!

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 12-17-2008 at 02:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte