Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 07:14 PM

16 posts, read 38,919 times

Advertisements

Relocating within the next 9 months to a year from Cape Cod. Have researched extensively lots of areas in NC. The amount of info is overwhelming! I am a nurse, 43 and single. Considering Huntersville area as it is still small town feel but within reasonable commute to Charlotte for possible work. Any other suggestions? I'm looking for lots of outdoor opportunities (Im a runner) shopping, good dining choices but not a raging night life. Any input welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 07:20 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,548,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodder21 View Post
Relocating within the next 9 months to a year from Cape Cod. Have researched extensively lots of areas in NC. The amount of info is overwhelming! I am a nurse, 43 and single. Considering Huntersville area as it is still small town feel but within reasonable commute to Charlotte for possible work. Any other suggestions? I'm looking for lots of outdoor opportunities (Im a runner) shopping, good dining choices but not a raging night life. Any input welcome.
Well you'll get an additional 3 good months of running weather- no need to wait until mid May to pull out the jogging shoes.

Where on the Cape are you from? I was down in Plymouth the other day and thought about making the mad dash to the Cape

Old 05-30-2007, 03:49 AM

Default relocating

I'm pretty much right in the middle. Barnstable. If you aren't familiar with the cape you might know Hyannis which is the next closest town. the Cape is growing by leaps and bounds and it has really lost a lot of its charm- hence my reason for moving.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:02 AM

577 posts, read 1,902,462 times
If growth is why you are leaving you need to know that you are considering a place thats growing even faster then what you are leaving. NC is in a population boom and small town feel is vanishing by the day. SC is considering filing legal action against NC for taking water from the Catawba river because there is major shortages of water supplies here( all across NC water restrictions), roads are busting at the seams. Schools are over crowded, taxes rising, crime rising, over development is occurring every where. So if it is growth you are wanting to get away from this might not be the place for you.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:39 AM

107 posts, read 121,265 times
You should look into my nieghborhood (Elizabeth, Chantilly) -- homes are bungalows, old neighborhoods with huge trees and great places to run, a park and restaurants, coffee houses. It is right under Presby Hospital and less than 2 miles from CMC. You're close to 277/I-77 and less than 2 mi from Uptown. I can send more info if you like. Good luck!

Old 05-30-2007, 07:48 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,837,161 times
Huntersville is great! Mind you I am biased to the area being here for 20 years. If you like the Huntersville area you could also look into Cornelius and Davidson.

Huntersville has the new Hospital and there is another one further up the Road in Mooresville. Are you planning on renting first or buying? Price can determine a good bit when deciding where to purchase.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:39 AM

509 posts, read 1,803,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodder21 View Post
I'm pretty much right in the middle. Barnstable. If you aren't familiar with the cape you might know Hyannis which is the next closest town. the Cape is growing by leaps and bounds and it has really lost a lot of its charm- hence my reason for moving.
Compared to the Cape, and the Barnstable area, Huntersville doesn't have much charm either! (I'm a Huntersville resident who grew up spending the summers in Cotuit in Barnstable County, and I still go back for vacation every year).

That said, Huntersville is a really nice place to live. But there are strip malls and traffic and the little downtown area is, well, little.

GT

Old 05-30-2007, 05:07 PM

i am thinking of renting first to get the lay of the land and potentially thinking about buying a townhouse. I am looking to get away from yard/house maintenence. Am planning a trip down there in August figuring if I can tolerate the heat/humidity and it looks good to me then it will be even better the rest of the year.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
If growth is why you are leaving you need to know that you are considering a place thats growing even faster then what you are leaving. NC is in a population boom and small town feel is vanishing by the day. SC is considering filing legal action against NC for taking water from the Catawba river because there is major shortages of water supplies here( all across NC water restrictions), roads are busting at the seams. Schools are over crowded, taxes rising, crime rising, over development is occurring every where. So if it is growth you are wanting to get away from this might not be the place for you.
The growth I'm talking about it the kind that has created an atmosphere where no one knows/talks to their neighbors anymore and everyone is trying to "keep up with the Jones's". Also the population is either young people raising children or retirees and being in the single, almost middle age bracket, it is hard to have much of a social life in those age groups.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlTravels View Post
Compared to the Cape, and the Barnstable area, Huntersville doesn't have much charm either! (I'm a Huntersville resident who grew up spending the summers in Cotuit in Barnstable County, and I still go back for vacation every year).

That said, Huntersville is a really nice place to live. But there are strip malls and traffic and the little downtown area is, well, little.

GT
Size wise, how does Huntersville compare with towns of the Cape like Cotuit that you may be familiar with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte