Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 07:16 AM

525 posts, read 1,803,699 times

Advertisements

I am a transplant too... But we work our tails off for what we have!! my friend came to visit and we checked out Southpark mall...we LOVED it..she was sooo happy b/c even though she lives about an hour from DC there is not ANY malls close to her and a small Belk, Target, Walmart are pretty much it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 07:46 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
I have to agree..Its nice to hear that people are happy for a change, and the bad apples that dont like it well they dont need to complain all the time...and lately it seems like everyone complains about something here about NC...

Anyway, This is our last full day in NJ, My Computer is going bye bye with the movers, as my laptop is in NC with dh.. and I wont have internet connection until Friday when I get to NC (home) so SEE YA GUYS ON FRIDAY

Old 05-30-2007, 08:00 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
The C-D site is one of the fastest growing social sites (I saw something that says it's in one of the type top 5 or top 10 social sites on the net). If you google "moving to [insert city]" a city-data link is usually in the first page of results- Charlotte specifically is like in the top 3 results on the first page. So with that a lot more people are here with a lot to say (some well meaning, others not so well meaning...). So you are noticing the growth of the member base- it's about context more than ever these days- that's the best way to navigate what seems to be waves of negative stuff.

Anyway I take it for granted that just about everyone knows this is a great place, and it doesn't need to be said (but should be every now and then)- it's just apparent. I usually smirk when I see the doom/gloom crowd post something - order my Ice Coffee at the Stonecrest Starbucks and keep on enjoy the beautiful stretch of days we are having...

Old 05-30-2007, 08:10 AM

476 posts, read 1,575,427 times
Great post - it is good to get this kind of thread out there every now and then. I look forward to our relocation even more so thanks to many of you folks.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:28 AM

577 posts, read 1,901,340 times
I think you have to understand the context of the negitive comments,To most transplants NC is better then were they came from because growth was slower in past years large state lots of land, coast mountains and all with in the economic reach of the people from nc. In the last year lack of planning and development control ect has lowered the quality of life from what it was. Education is struggling cost of living rising but salary is not. This looks great to some one moving from some where to here but if you reverse the situation it has little benefit to the people already living here. Its kinda of a take and nothing given back but traffic and crowding. But NC does have good things but also some urgent planning issues.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:43 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resident View Post
I have lived in Union County for the past 8 months..I am pleased with my decision. I enjoy the area, I like the fact that there is not a major highway outside my door or an urban area. I like the fact I can enjoy the city though in less than a 30 minute drive! I enjoy shopping nearby (yes you have to drive to it..but what a 20 min drive to 2 different malls? and a five minute drive to Matthews?), I enjoy the food and I enjoy the people. Traffic isn't as bad a most cities. It isn't utopia...I don't konw what ppl are expecting to find here, it is a city that is growing in America. Traffic and crime are going to be here. I am just tired of everyone complaining...about you name it!

::climbing off soapbox now:::
I have all the same things (except Matthews ) where we are in Franklin County. Life is good.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 3,760 times
We would like to be NC transplants. My husband has been looking for work in the motor/cycle/sports industry for 1 1/2 years now. (He has a great skill package and whoever thinks working for Indian is a great opportunity - it is - but they are extremely hard to get in to) Moving to NC with our 2 teenage daughters has become a dream for us. We dont expect anything other than to leave behind what we no longer what to live with in the hopes of a better future for our kids and ourselves.

My husband and I are both born and raised in southern ca and weve had enough. It seems the majority of the people here are consumed by greed and its hard to find a friendly soul. (Seems like the bumper sticker that says - "Those who die with the most toys wins" is the mentality here - but what do you really gain in the end other than more debt ??) My children go to school with over 3,000 other kids. Thank God they are smart or they would really be struggeling. There are drugs and guns and knives, and daycare centers on the school premesis. Not things that I want my kids influenced by. Our town is so crowded - the low home prices have brought people here who are willing to commute 3 hours 1 way to get to work. Our beaches are so polluted, they are always being shut down. I havent been to the beach in over 10 years and probably will never go back. Its sad because Ca used to be a beautiful place to live. It has become so overcrowded and polluted. Its really a shame! I could go on- but it wont help anything.

We have targeted NC because it seems there are alot of good people there along with opportunity for our girls and its beautiful!. There is no option for our girls to go to college here - in the slim chance they can get into an over crowded school - the tuitions are unbeleivable.

My husband has been to NC 3 times on business and we want to leave CA so bad for a fresh start in NC. Its been rough because we wont sell our home here and leave until we can secure a job there first. Its been a frustrating time, its a hard cross roads. Im just glad that its now summer break for us and my kids dont have to go to school here for a while.

any feedback welcome

Last edited by LeavinCalifornia; 05-30-2007 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: ad in

Old 05-30-2007, 12:00 PM

85 posts, read 362,196 times
When I read the complaints from those that only complain, I think about James Allen. James Allen died circa 1911,.....but before he left he said some very profound things that make you go....'hhmmmmm'.
"As a man thinketh in his mind, so is he".....what a jewel that was eh? Until you think about what it is he trying to say. I believe it has to do with dwelling on something until it absorbs. He also compared the mind to a garden and that the regular 'weeding' was just as important to the mind as a garden. (Lest the weeds take over).
I've been in the Charlotte area since 1998,.....three months after arriving I was involved in an accident with a distracted (Charlotte) driver that nearly killed me and has permanently handicapped my right arm and caused a lot of pain since. Not exactly the sort of greeting one might expect. I still love this area better than any other place my family has lived in the past 50 years! No utopia, but it is what I make it! Love to hear your story about your arrival and first impressions!

Old 05-30-2007, 12:10 PM

531 posts, read 2,011,192 times
I am a transplant to Union County from the Northeast. I would never move back there! I love this area. The people here are some of the nicest I ever have met. The thing we have ever done was to come to Union County!

Old 05-30-2007, 12:36 PM

26 posts, read 85,271 times
I'm from Chicago and I loved it there. We moved for work (we weren't looking to get out but the opportunity with work came along). I've been here for several weeks and love it here as well. Nothing negative to say. Don't think we'll go back if we have the chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte