Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 08:39 AM
amp

519 posts, read 1,515,276 times

Advertisements

We are also relocating from NOVA to Charlotte in the next few months. We also have 2 small children and went through basically the same search for the same reasons. We narrowed it down to South Charlotte, Union County, and Fort Mill. It is definately hard to get the same level of schooling there as compared to NOVA. We decided on South Charlotte but it was a tough decision because I think the schools in Fort Mill are considered to be better. Good Luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 08:43 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amp View Post
We are also relocating from NOVA to Charlotte in the next few months. We also have 2 small children and went through basically the same search for the same reasons. We narrowed it down to South Charlotte, Union County, and Fort Mill. It is definately hard to get the same level of schooling there as compared to NOVA. We decided on South Charlotte but it was a tough decision because I think the schools in Fort Mill are considered to be better. Good Luck!!
Schools in Fort Mill are excellent, BUT so are the schools in south Charlotte. It would be hard to say one place is better than the other

Old 06-05-2007, 11:04 AM
amp

519 posts, read 1,515,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Schools in Fort Mill are excellent, BUT so are the schools in south Charlotte. It would be hard to say one place is better than the other
Thanks! I was actually under the impression that they were good, just not quite as good at FM. Im definately glad to hear that though since that is where we will be living

Old 01-14-2012, 05:55 AM

8 posts, read 12,628 times
Default Where to live in NC?

Hi all; I'm considering moving to NC in the future. However, I can't sell until the market comes back. Meaning, if I sold now I would chance to lose $75K. Living in NJ is like a slow, painful death. I would like to take a trip down to NC and visit potential locations that would a) have good business with plenty of jobs, b) have good schools, c) homes built with quality, d) nice scenic views; sprawling hills, mountain views etc..., e) peaceful neighborhoods.Any suggestions? Give me any and all feedback-positive as well as the negative.
Thanks

Old 01-14-2012, 07:26 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,713,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas6 View Post
Hi all; I'm considering moving to NC in the future. However, I can't sell until the market comes back. Meaning, if I sold now I would chance to lose $75K. Living in NJ is like a slow, painful death. I would like to take a trip down to NC and visit potential locations that would a) have good business with plenty of jobs, b) have good schools, c) homes built with quality, d) nice scenic views; sprawling hills, mountain views etc..., e) peaceful neighborhoods.Any suggestions? Give me any and all feedback-positive as well as the negative.
Thanks
Hi Dallas,

Sadly Charlotte and Raleigh are the biggest cities in Charlotte and there are no mountains near here. Its really flat and boring actually. However, I think Charlotte is a great city. Some other negatives for NC are that we have higher unemployment than average so its harder to get a job here than most places. Also, our schools in the city are not the best. From what you describe, I am not sure NC would be the best fit for you.

If you want to get out into the mountains in NC, you would need to search near cities like Boone, NC and Asheville, NC. Both are beautiful but are a lot smaller than Charlotte.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:34 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas6 View Post
Thanks
North Jersey or South Jersey?

What type of jobs?

Kings Mountain fits everything except the jobs. However, local officials are worling on attracting jobs & it is commuteable to most of Charlotte.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:10 PM

985 posts, read 1,900,869 times
Union County has one of the #1 schools for its size in NC...Fort Mill schools are good I wouldn't say better from what I hear no experience at both just Union County

Old 01-19-2012, 11:23 AM

37 posts, read 56,422 times
I was thinking King's Mountain, too. It might not be as big right now as you'd like it to be, but it is gaining momentum, and it's eagerness makes for a business-friendly environment. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that, but that's my impression).
As far as losing 75K in your home if you sell it now, remember that when the market picks up, prices in NC will be higher, too, so as long as you're both selling and buying, it's probably a wash. And if you have good credit, the interest rates are very low now, too. We'll be selling our house in VA to move to Charlotte, and although we stand to lose about 100K on the selling end (ouch), the houses that we are looking at in Charlotte are much, much lower priced than they would have been a few years ago, so it will even out pretty well.
This would be a dreamy time to be a first time buyer!

Old 01-19-2012, 12:51 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermama View Post
I was thinking King's Mountain, too. It might not be as big right now as you'd like it to be, but it is gaining momentum, and it's eagerness makes for a business-friendly environment. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that, but that's my impression).
As far as losing 75K in your home if you sell it now, remember that when the market picks up, prices in NC will be higher, too, so as long as you're both selling and buying, it's probably a wash. And if you have good credit, the interest rates are very low now, too. We'll be selling our house in VA to move to Charlotte, and although we stand to lose about 100K on the selling end (ouch), the houses that we are looking at in Charlotte are much, much lower priced than they would have been a few years ago, so it will even out pretty well.
This would be a dreamy time to be a first time buyer!
You nailed it.

This is a growth area, but locating near one of the 3 parks would allow someone the ability to stay in a rural setting.

This is the last year of a 10 year plan. It got bombed in 2008, & they've been improvising ever since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte