Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 08:20 AM

525 posts, read 1,805,039 times

Advertisements

Upscale for groceries means to me, you can get a wide variety of different sorts of produce besides the standard fare, organic produce, ethnic foods/selections, chutneys, sauces, marinades, spices and seasonings you wouldn't always find, baking items, more varieties of flour, grains (like spelt/whole wheat pastry flour/graham flour/buckwheat flour etc), more organic items (cereal, juice, dairy and grains), better meat selection and they will cut beef and other things to order along with deli counter etc.

Just what I consider more "upscale" and I also shop once in awhile at BJs and do most of my shopping at HT, but I plan my meals around their sales which are usually very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 08:26 AM

189 posts, read 580,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resident View Post
Upscale for groceries means to me, you can get a wide variety of different sorts of produce besides the standard fare, organic produce, ethnic foods/selections, chutneys, sauces, marinades, spices and seasonings you wouldn't always find, baking items, more varieties of flour, grains (like spelt/whole wheat pastry flour/graham flour/buckwheat flour etc), more organic items (cereal, juice, dairy and grains), better meat selection and they will cut beef and other things to order along with deli counter etc.

Just what I consider more "upscale" and I also shop once in awhile at BJs and do most of my shopping at HT, but I plan my meals around their sales which are usually very good.
That makes sense. I guess that is what I am used to being in CT. We do not have as may options as there are in the Charlotte area though.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:24 AM

473 posts, read 1,579,202 times
Red face HT compares to Publix...

I think HT compares to Publix. We lived in FL for about 5 years and I religiously shopped at Publix, occasionally Walmart, now I shop at HT usually. We have a Bi-lo around the corner and a couple of Food Lion's. BL is OK but I absolutely hate FL! I also like HT's online shopping and you pick it up at the drive thru. Not all stores have it but my friend that lives in Harrisburg turned me on to it. I think she shops in Concord? I pick up my groceries at Regency Village in Huntersville. SuperTarget is OK, too, but it's in Mooresville, so is my closest SuperWalmart.

I used to shop at HT about 9 years ago in Winston-Salem. I liked the fact they had a lot of Yankee food when other stores didn't. But now BL carries it, too, at least at my neighborhood store. I'd seriously check out the grocery store situation before buying a home...

Old 06-04-2007, 05:47 AM

43 posts, read 151,054 times
I think Lowe's is the best. They are clean, curteous and prices are OK. I think alot of the food out here is overpriced. Harris Teeter is way over priced and thier selection is iffy. Lowe's is the only place that carries Boars Head cold cuts which are the only kind we buy.
Food Lion and Bi-Lo are terrible.
We also buy alot of stuff at Sam's and BJ's.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:04 PM

8 posts, read 39,644 times
I get the basic things at Aldi's on concord parkway. Its cheap, and comparitivly its just as good as Harris Tweeter, Food Lion or Bi-low. you won't find many brand names, but the food is very good quality. They don't carry too much produce so you would want to do to the bigger stores for that. and as far as Harris Tweeter being a high end chain NO!!! I come from Western NY state, and Harris Tweeter couldn't touch Giant Eagle, the middle of the road store. I think highend I look at Wegmans, but for some reason the quality is just not here like it was in ny.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:08 PM

4 posts, read 4,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtptootie View Post
I think Lowe's is the best. They are clean, curteous and prices are OK. I think alot of the food out here is overpriced. Harris Teeter is way over priced and thier selection is iffy. Lowe's is the only place that carries Boars Head cold cuts which are the only kind we buy.
Food Lion and Bi-Lo are terrible.
We also buy alot of stuff at Sam's and BJ's.
Lowes is great. I shop there when I visit friends. Clean and courteous,good prices.
I agree. Harris Teeter is horribly overpriced and projects that image because they want to attract the more well to do community members of the area. Hence the pretense. Just saying.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:12 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,270,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmaMatter View Post
Lowes is great. I shop there when I visit friends. Clean and courteous,good prices.
I agree. Harris Teeter is horribly overpriced and projects that image because they want to attract the more well to do community members of the area. Hence the pretense. Just saying.
Lowe's Foods is okay. Unfortunately, it is not up to the standard of Harris Teeter and Publix. Lowe's Foods failed in the Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, North Carolina-South Carolina metropolitan statistical area.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:45 AM

776 posts, read 1,063,874 times
I was in management at HArris Teeter when I lived there, and although the shopping experience is what we strived for, I'll admit, the high prices may not be worth it anymore. As soon as Kroger took over, Harris Teeters charm wore off quickly. We didn't even shop there because the bills would be 20% higher than Target and Tatget isn't even that cheap. This isn't a knock on Harris Teeter. The quality is good, the stores are clean, the selection is excellent, the service(should be) great, they have great return policies, and you don't have to wait in lines. But if saving money is your ultimate goal then maybe Publix or wal mart. I love Publix but it was just coming to the area when we left. You could also try The Fresh Market but otherwise I think you're stuck with Food Lion, Wal Mart, Target or Harris Teeter. Harris Teeter is a great place to shop the deals though. We used to live in Corcord before moving to Highland creek just down the road. Be sure to check out 201 Central too off prosperity church road and eastfield road.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:58 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,964,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
I was in management at HArris Teeter when I lived there, and although the shopping experience is what we strived for, I'll admit, the high prices may not be worth it anymore. As soon as Kroger took over, Harris Teeters charm wore off quickly. We didn't even shop there because the bills would be 20% higher than Target and Tatget isn't even that cheap. This isn't a knock on Harris Teeter. The quality is good, the stores are clean, the selection is excellent, the service(should be) great, they have great return policies, and you don't have to wait in lines. But if saving money is your ultimate goal then maybe Publix or wal mart. I love Publix but it was just coming to the area when we left. You could also try The Fresh Market but otherwise I think you're stuck with Food Lion, Wal Mart, Target or Harris Teeter. Harris Teeter is a great place to shop the deals though. We used to live in Corcord before moving to Highland creek just down the road. Be sure to check out 201 Central too off prosperity church road and eastfield road.
Even though this thread was resurrected from years ago.....

Publix is just as expensive as Harris Teeter. HT does have good deals and if you stick to those you won't spend as much. I'm really hoping that Wegman's will make it's way down here after Cary.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:04 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,270,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Publix is just as expensive as Harris Teeter.
Publix has been consistently cheaper than Bi-Lo and Food Lion.

Struggling chains usually increase their prices, then launch a series of lower price promotions to get customers into their stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte