Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2007, 04:21 PM

73 posts, read 247,092 times

Advertisements

Today while I was mowing the lawn I made an effort to try to get to know some of the neighborhood people walking past. Two young gentlemen (25 or so) walked passed while I was outside. I took time to shake their hand and get their name in hopes of starting to get to know some of the people that I see on a regular basis. Both conversations went something like this:

"Hello my name is *blank* I see you around the neighborhood"~me
"Yo man, my name is *blank*, sure is hot today"~passer by
"Yes it is warm, where do you live" ~me
"xyz lane, moved from somewhereville, I got a job though"

Seemed odd to me that they both bragged about getting a job. Isn't that what you are supposed to do? I just wondered if I missed out on some hip lingo.

In hopes of fitting in, I'm going to start stating things that should be obvious. Like "Hi, my name is *blank*, I wash after going to the bathroom though".......very strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 04:47 PM

525 posts, read 1,803,699 times
? Maybe they don't belong there? I don't konw..weird

Old 05-31-2007, 04:51 PM

876 posts, read 3,792,173 times
uhhhhh...ok, next topic

Old 05-31-2007, 05:07 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berewick Resident View Post
Today while I was mowing the lawn I made an effort to try to get to know some of the neighborhood people walking past. Two young gentlemen (25 or so) walked passed while I was outside. I took time to shake their hand and get their name in hopes of starting to get to know some of the people that I see on a regular basis. Both conversations went something like this:

"Hello my name is *blank* I see you around the neighborhood"~me
"Yo man, my name is *blank*, sure is hot today"~passer by
"Yes it is warm, where do you live" ~me
"xyz lane, moved from somewhereville, I got a job though"

Seemed odd to me that they both bragged about getting a job. Isn't that what you are supposed to do? I just wondered if I missed out on some hip lingo.

In hopes of fitting in, I'm going to start stating things that should be obvious. Like "Hi, my name is *blank*, I wash after going to the bathroom though".......very strange.

Did you ask them what kind of job they got? That was weird

Old 05-31-2007, 05:11 PM

73 posts, read 247,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Did you ask them what kind of job they got? That was weird
No I didn't. I guess I'm just getting old. It seemed weird to me too.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:11 PM

16 posts, read 53,670 times
I am 23 and that is still weird.....

Old 05-31-2007, 06:20 PM

87 posts, read 329,123 times
I think the poor neighbor was just trying to keep the conversation going. Most people have stated that jobs are hard to find, maybe he thought mentioning this might keep conversation moving... Had the other neighbor who brought up the same topic had been standing there, who knows you could have been talking for days.

Sooo, I don't think its wierd at all.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:37 PM

473 posts, read 1,578,272 times
Red face I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutejanelle1 View Post
I think the poor neighbor was just trying to keep the conversation going. Most people have stated that jobs are hard to find, maybe he thought mentioning this might keep conversation moving... Had the other neighbor who brought up the same topic had been standing there, who knows you could have been talking for days.

Sooo, I don't think its wierd at all.
The job hunt is difficult here and he was probably trying to change the subject or maybe he wanted to tell you all about his job or maybe he gets bonuses when he gets others to sign on or maybe he was fishing for more job leads or maybe he believes that it's hard to get a job considering where he's from. It doesn't sound like it was a smooth transition but sounds like he was trying to talk to you. I wouldn't be concerned about it, he's young still... Next time you see him, ask him how his job is going. Maybe it will give you a clue as to why he said that. At least it will give you something to talk to him about in the future.

I think he should be proud of himself because there are so many people that don't work or don't want to work. At least he's contributing to society and not draining it...

Old 06-04-2007, 08:33 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Or maybe he's talked to so many people who've moved here without finding employment first and figures he should say it before hand......

Old 06-04-2007, 08:44 AM

367 posts, read 1,028,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan-1 View Post
What strikes me the most about this posting which prattles on about the insubstantiality of a backyard conversation in Berwick, PA. is its own vapid silliness. Does this writer spend her whole time staring at the tea-leaves of tiny pointless conversational notes about which virtually nobody else has the information to comment on?
Kinda harsh don't ya think? I assure you she is not referring to Berwick PA, this is a Charlotte forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte