Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 01:07 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,052,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthon12 View Post
Lovesmountains - Thanks for the feedback

Unfortunately, I do not have the ultimate decision in this matter, that will be with my fiancee. And I know that she will want to be closer to the action. Huntersville might be a little out of the "hot bed" of charlotte for her.

I personally like Matthews, and Mint Hill doesn't seem too bad either.

Does anyone have any sugestions as to an area within a 10-20 min drive of the downtown area, around the 150-175k budget??

Thanks again for the great info!
You cannot buy within 10 mintues of uptown in your budget without getting bad schools and less desirable homes. UNLESS you want a townhome and not a house.

The Mint Hill side of Matthews would get you there in 20 minutes (non-rush hours).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 01:54 PM

55 posts, read 124,427 times
What price range do I need to be in??

Old 05-28-2010, 01:55 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,052,256 times
Quote:
What price range do I need to be in??
Minumum $250,000 - though $350,000 would be better.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:59 PM

972 posts, read 2,451,535 times
Quote:
Huntersville might be a little out of the "hot bed" of charlotte for her.
Oh, I feel old now. We thought Huntersville had too much going on for what we wanted.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:04 PM

445 posts, read 1,170,882 times
There are parts of the University area that has nice affordable neighborhoods and good schools. Mallard Creek and the new Bailey Road Middle. Friends of mine have been very pleased with Mallard Creek High school. But really, if you are in your 20s and looking at high schools in Charlotte, you are looking too far ahead. School boundaries change and the BOE is talking about looking at the whole system in the near future.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:10 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,307,262 times
I would not recommend Arrowood rd - bad high school (waddell). The area off Carmel just above (Shadowlake) and below 51 (Around Painted Tree Road) are very affordable and is a good recommendation. The former is Smithfield Elementary - don't have much info on that. Below 51 is Endhaven - my hunch is that it's superior. They feed into South Meck HS - maybe not the top school, but near the top. I know many smart families who are happy there. It is the most diverse school in CMS with a mix of incomes and races, but still has good test scores.
Having said that, I also think the townhouse in Beverly Crest is an excellent location. All the schools are excellent there, but less diverse.
If you need school maps here they are
Student Assignment Boundary Maps

Old 06-01-2010, 06:26 AM

55 posts, read 124,427 times
Everyone, thank you for the excellent advice.

Carolinajean, you have a very good point, it's silly to be thinking about schools at this point.

We've decided we want to have fun and can worry about location for schools 5-10 yrs down the line.

With that being said, what area close to downtown charlotte would anyone suggest for a young couple in the 150k price range?

I'm really not too familiar with neighborhoods in the area and would love to be able to drive around a few when we go down there in August.

Thank you again for all the comments and insight, it is very much appreciated.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:15 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,873,237 times
Quote:

Carolinajean, you have a very good point, it's silly to be thinking about schools at this point.

We've decided we want to have fun and can worry about location for schools 5-10 yrs down the line.

With that being said, what area close to downtown charlotte would anyone suggest for a young couple in the 150k price range?

I'm really not too familiar with neighborhoods in the area and would love to be able to drive around a few when we go down there in August.

Thank you again for all the comments and insight, it is very much appreciated.
Belmont in Gaston County is on the county line. By taking Wilkinson Blvd (74) to 277, you can be in Uptown in no time at all. Check there for your price range. You'll probably go to Uptown for most of your socializing, but it's not a big deal. Mt. Holly is also in the same vicinity.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:17 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,373,772 times
Quote:

Just want to slightly disagree: I think you need to consider buying in an area with a good school b/c later on if you move it will be easier to sell.

And if you have kids and don't want to sell, then you are already in a good school.

I don't think you need to worry specifically about which high school you are feeding into as long as you pick areas with good high schools.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:54 AM

604 posts, read 1,312,435 times
Sunny needs to make this topic a Sticky!!!!!

STICKY - Moving to Charlotte, need info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte