Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 02:13 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,285,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesmom View Post
I think it's because people don't understand the sport.

Most think it's just a bunch of cars turning left. They don't understand the team work and the strategy involved -

In the pits - green flag stop or wait til caution; 2 tires, 4 tires or just Sunoco Race fuel; flawless stop or mistakes; make tighter, make looser; maintain pit speed, etc....

On the track - which row for restart; clear doors before passing; pass high or low; bump or be bumped; be in position for the lucky dog; save gas; which lane is faster; 3 wide, 4 wide; keep eyes closed when crashing, etc...

Sometimes cars are inches apart traveling upwards of 200 miles an hour working the wheel the entire race. It's a tough sport and you gotta love it to do it and love it to watch it. As they say, there's nothing more addicting than speed.

Yes, there is a lot of money in NASCAR but also a lot of giving away of that money. All the drivers have foundations and charities they support.

The track owners are another story. They are going to have to reduce ticket prices to fill tracks again.
All true. Some people have no appreciation for competitive drivng, and that's perfectly acceptable. But for them to continually hammer NASCAR, while speaking from a position of ignorance, is just silly.

I have no appreciation of baseball, and don't enjoy watching it live or on TV, but I don't tell everyone else that baseball sucks and is a stupid sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
From my perspective there are alot of obvious reasons....

1. unlike baseball, football, and basketball (and hockey in the northern climates), if you're a young kid, you cannot go out and drive a car, so its very hard to 'participate' in the sport...

2. to many, its unwatchable on tv. I understand people will take issue w/that, but just look at the ratings on tv....NASCAR has very loyal fans (like hockey) though...

3. many people around the country view it as a low class "hick" sport that is popular in the backwoods....I'm not saying I feel that way, just hearing that throughout my life....

I went to a race and even tried to watch it on tv....can't do it.....again, this wasn't meant to start an argument or upset thin skinned people...just telling it from my perspective...

although the tailgating was fun....
1. But kids CAN go out and drive a go cart, like most of the NASCAR drivers did. Kids can't go out and play pro football, but they can start with peewee leagues. It's all about scale.

2. As I said above, some people just don't appreciate what it takes to race at that level. I've been told that racing can be very boring on TV and in person. My response was to ask "Have you ever watched baseball? 3+ hours of people standing around, crotch grabbing, and spitting, with about 30 seconds of actual action thrown in."

Yes, not every second of racing is exciting. Today's race at Pocono is a good example. The drivers are spread all around the track, and there's not much really happening. But show me a sport that is continuously active.

3. We're all born ignorant. Some choose to stay that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 03:12 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,638,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
All true. Some people have no appreciation for competitive drivng, and that's perfectly acceptable. But for them to continually hammer NASCAR, while speaking from a position of ignorance, is just silly.

I have no appreciation of baseball, and don't enjoy watching it live or on TV, but I don't tell everyone else that baseball sucks and is a stupid sport.

1. But kids CAN go out and drive a go cart, like most of the NASCAR drivers did. Kids can't go out and play pro football, but they can start with peewee leagues. It's all about scale.

2. As I said above, some people just don't appreciate what it takes to race at that level. I've been told that racing can be very boring on TV and in person. My response was to ask "Have you ever watched baseball? 3+ hours of people standing around, crotch grabbing, and spitting, with about 30 seconds of actual action thrown in."

Yes, not every second of racing is exciting. Today's race at Pocono is a good example. The drivers are spread all around the track, and there's not much really happening. But show me a sport that is continuously active.

Great post
This race in Pocono is boring. For those who learning it a good to learn
things like making a wedge adjustment. Why a car is running loose due to the heat. Go Denny Hamlin!

Old 06-06-2010, 03:25 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,301,887 times
Nobody has mentioned that all auto racing is a waste of fossil fuel not to mention the pollution it causes.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:31 PM

268 posts, read 950,600 times
A lot of people think they are to sophisticated to enjoy NASCAR, they assume it is just a bunch of rednecks watching a race and that's what I thought at first and i'm black but one of my white friends finally got me to go to the race at Atlanta Motor Speedway and I actually had a good time, people were cooking out and drinking and just enjoying life. so unless you've actually experienced it don't make any judgemental calls.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:44 PM

470 posts, read 1,157,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
OK, I've been quiet about this too long, but I've gotta know - why is there so much animosity and ambivalence concerning NASCAR? It's just a motor sports sanctioning body, just like IMSA and CART and F1 and IRL and NHRA ... you get the point. Every weekend around the country there's a track somewhere running NASCAR races. Don't people like go to a local track for some good, clean, fun family entertainment on those summer nights when there's not much else to do?

I know that my dad thinks that too much of watching racing results in too many wanna-be racecar drivers out on the roads.
NASCAR has never been inclusive.
If they opened the races and the driving jobs to a wider range of people then people would be attracted to the sport.
Also the obnoxious (and some racist) fans don't help things.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:22 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,764,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post

No one I know "continues" to hammer NASCAR. The OP asked why the animosity.

There's no right or wrong answer IMO....if you like it fine, if you don't that's fine too...I could care less....

Old 06-06-2010, 04:51 PM

11,839 posts, read 29,031,721 times
Quote:
I think it's because people don't understand the sport.

Most think it's just a bunch of cars turning left. They don't understand the team work and the strategy involved -
Every so often the speedway will let car clubs drive on the track. I have friends that do it religiously in their Corvettes. It isn't just a bunch of left turns as you point out. It is very easy for the eye to continuously watch the wall & for the hands to steer towards what your eyes are looking at. The high speeds don't leave any room for error either.

Quote:
In the pits - green flag stop or wait til caution; 2 tires, 4 tires or just Sunoco Race fuel; flawless stop or mistakes; make tighter, make looser; maintain pit speed, etc....
Those folks out there that think that this "ballet" doesn't take talent might be surprised to know that there's a school to learn all of this up in Mooresville.
NASCAR Technical Institute - NASCAR School | NASCAR College | NTI (http://www.uti.edu/Home/Nascar-Tech - broken link)
Jeff Hammond Home Page

Quote:
On the track - which row for restart; clear doors before passing; pass high or low; bump or be bumped; be in position for the lucky dog; save gas; which lane is faster; 3 wide, 4 wide; keep eyes closed when crashing, etc...

Sometimes cars are inches apart traveling upwards of 200 miles an hour working the wheel the entire race. It's a tough sport and you gotta love it to do it and love it to watch it. As they say, there's nothing more addicting than speed.
Well honestly for me its the wrecks. Otherwise racing is about as boring as watching golf.

Quote:
Yes, there is a lot of money in NASCAR but also a lot of giving away of that money. All the drivers have foundations and charities they support.

The track owners are another story. They are going to have to reduce ticket prices to fill tracks again.
If NASCAR wasn't a popular sport why have tracks all over the country? Some people love it others hate it, but it fills a niche. If you've never been up at the speedway for a big race its definitely something to experience even if you decide to never do it again.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,638,579 times
WOW did you just see that wreck in the Green- white checker, Joey Logano is p.o at Harvick
Congradultions Denny Hamlin! in Pennsyvania
if it a hick sport then there is Hicks up north

for those not familar with Green - White checker what is it equivalent to in other sports.

For those that think they are just going in circles same thing with track.
Go to one of the car shows at CMS and notice the embankment in curve
and especially Bristol.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:37 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,799,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
WOW did you just see that wreck in the Green- white checker, Joey Logano is p.o at Harvick
Congradultions Denny Hamlin! in Pennsyvania

for those not familar with Green - White checker what is it equivalent to in other sports.

For those that think they are just going in circles same thing with track.
Go to one of the car shows at CMS and notice the embankment in curve
and especially Bristol.
LOL, Sunny, Pocono is not too far north of Philly & Dover is not too far southeast of Philly. So, yes, there are NASCAR fans up there

Old 06-06-2010, 05:47 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,764,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

Yes there are...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte