Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:38 AM

604 posts, read 1,307,193 times

Advertisements

Anifani821, One of two things apply to your post.

Either it is the saddest post I have ever read and if you are homeless I want you to come over for steaks and beer tonight....

or

One of the funniest, sarcastic posts I have ever read.

I am hoping for the later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 04:39 AM

I am not sure the libarary is open at 3 am.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:41 AM

http://www.safelinkwireless.com/

free cell phone for low or no income folks.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:13 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,804,465 times
Look we are not trying to come across as all naysayers.....against Charlotte. But we do live here.....and we know how it is...It's tough for people that lost their jobs here...Competition is "FIERCE" in CLT for employment right now....TRUST ME...I KNOW....All though I have a job right now.....I have been looking for part-time to supplement the income........they are just as hard to come by....Have tried Walmart/Target/Kmart...anything to bring in a little extra income....Not happening... in CLT...When we tell you it's rough here........Trust and Believe...it is rough.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:13 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
So you'll believe ONE poster from this board and his/her opinions as truth, but the *MULTIPLE* other people from this board and their opinions are biased and untrue? Not sure I see the logic there....

Could it possibly be because that lone poster who DM'd you happened to tell you what you were hoping to hear? Maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneloveU View Post
FROM ONE OF YOUR FRIENDS POSTED IN MY MAIL BOX! NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED! SORRY I TRIED TO BE OPEN-MINDED!

I can appreciate your response on this. If you look through the forums, there are a good number of individuals who "hover" around any moving/jobs/economy/real-estate thread just waiting to drop a "the sky is falling in" bomb.

These self-proclaimed experts don't bother asking/listening to the specifics of ones individual situations and are a poor representation of the people who live in this area. Charlotte is going through the same recession as the rest of the country (we are certainly not the best off, but far from the worst). Jobs aren't easy to find, but that all depends what you are looking/qualified for. Beyond the jobs/economy, this is a great place to live.

Good luck

THANK YOU!

Old 06-09-2010, 06:33 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,024,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Glad to be of help. I would have been back sooner, but I couldn't find a library with internet so I could post again. Our libraries here are being closed and the ones still open have cut back on their hours. We are in a big mess with the city/county budget, so even with the job cuts, services are still being slashed and the libraries (and parks) have been affected. Thank god they are letting us have a few more months operational costs in the budget, but that really depends on revenue from sales taxes (if I understood all the discussion correctly) - so who knows what will happen in the coming months. The bottom line is - we need folks to move here and buy stuff so we get a lot of sales tax money rolling in and then the parks and libraries will stay open.

I got lucky tonite (which is why I am finally able to post). I usually bed down on the Nordstrom's side of SouthPark Mall with a few other laid off management types who sleep behind the row of Euonymous bushes (nice mulch; good breeze; very private) but this evening I was able to hook up with one of my laid-off Wachovia buds (IT project manager, wouldn't ya know!) and he is letting me borrow his laptop since we found we can steal WiFi from the apartments two blocks away.

I wanted to clarify that just b/c the majority of folks who post here are homeless and hungry, we are managing - obviously! It isn't a heartless town - it is just a town without jobs. So I don't want you to get the wrong impression. Heck, I had this really nice guy buy me a Mochaccino just this afternoon, and I don't really think he suspected I was homeless. He was just being kind.

Please don't think our whole city is in shambles. Only about 20% of folks are either unemployed or underemployed. And a lot of folks have left (gone back to the areas they lived in b/f they moved here a few years ago) so I just suspect the figures are not that high. I bet it is more like 17% of folks who are without jobs. And for folks who are homeless - let me straighten that out. Just b/c about 10,000 people are on the streets, they are NOT all uptown. Some of us have spread out to other areas like Southpark and I have heard there are even some in Ballantyne. We figure - what the heck - why not learn our way around since the Mayor is gonna make sure we get some affordable housing (translate: Section 8) in the upscale areas of the city/county - so why let a demoralizing situation with lack of job and work keep us from living in the best areas? I figure I will be in a new apartment in no time.

It's like that mystery poster who sent you the DM said. Some folks just hover around any threads that have to do with the economy or real estate, waiting to drop the doom and gloom cause the real truth is - they want all the jobs for themselves, selfish b$stards.

So don't believe the BS some of the regulars spout. Like your mystery poster said - nothing wrong with this area that some jobs and money wouldn't solve. I believe that person said: "Beyond the jobs/economy - it's a great place to live." SO TRUE! I mean, supposing you had a trust fund to hold you through, or you are living on disability or a pension. Now look at it that way. The only thing holding folks back from enjoying living here is money. And having a job is not the ONLY way to get money. It doesn't have to be that you turn to a life of crime, pimping or selling crack on the corner. If you qualify for food stamps and free healthcare, then all you have to do is worry about housing til Mayor Foxx gets the affordable housing worked out - and I can assure you, there are plenty of places to hang out if you can't get into one of the homeless shelters. It is getting kind of crowded around Nordstrom's, tho, so I would suggest you have someone with you so the two of you can rotate saving your spot. Things start getting a little frantic around sundown (for choice spots).

Anyway, just wanted to let you know - don't listen to the folks trying to dissuade you from comin' on down. It's summer! Not like you will be shivering in the cold if you have to spend a few months in your car or on a park bench. People exaggerate the downside of moving here without a job. There are a lot of resources if you can't find work.

The only thing I would do differently is stock up on toilet paper. I thought I had it all figured out when I packed up b/f the eviction, and I will say I did think of every angle as far as pre-paying my cell phone (gotta stay in touch w/ those recruiters!!!), making sure I had my camp stove, Brita water filter, Woolite (handy for hand washing undies in McDonald's restroom sinks) and six months supply of peanut butter and crackers. I just never knew what a precious commodity Charmin was til I had to deal with that cheap-arse scratchy TP in Mall restrooms. <Live and Learn, as they say!>

I expect any day now I will get a call from one of the recruiters I am working with. Things are definitely looking up. I just can't figure out why I see all these jobs advertised online and yet when I go to apply for them, I get told they are already filled (got 2000 applicants). But I know things are getting better because I heard at least 10 companies are coming here - and I added it up - and that will be more than 3500 jobs! Now you can't tell me all 80,000 people out of work here are qualified for those 3500 jobs, so I don't see how the competition could be THAT stiff. Do you????
PURE GOLD...

awesome Ani awesome

Old 06-09-2010, 07:30 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
PURE GOLD...

awesome Ani awesome
Thank you, Mikey. I just wanted to make sure the OP was not discouraged and that someone was willing to tell THE TRUTH.

BTW - so all the rest of you homeless regulars will mark your calendars . . . the next symphony concert @SouthPark will be on June 14th @8:15 pm. It's a great way to mingle with others and enjoy some fantastic FREE entertainment.

Just another example of the quality of life here! Money and jobs are really a small glitch in the BIG SCHEME of things.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:43 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Glad to be of help. I would have been back sooner, but I couldn't find a library with internet so I could post again. Our libraries here are being closed and the ones still open have cut back on their hours. We are in a big mess with the city/county budget, so even with the job cuts, services are still being slashed and the libraries (and parks) have been affected. Thank god they are letting us have a few more months operational costs in the budget, but that really depends on revenue from sales taxes (if I understood all the discussion correctly) - so who knows what will happen in the coming months. The bottom line is - we need folks to move here and buy stuff so we get a lot of sales tax money rolling in and then the parks and libraries will stay open.

I got lucky tonite (which is why I am finally able to post). I usually bed down on the Nordstrom's side of SouthPark Mall with a few other laid off management types who sleep behind the row of Euonymous bushes (nice mulch; good breeze; very private) but this evening I was able to hook up with one of my laid-off Wachovia buds (IT project manager, wouldn't ya know!) and he is letting me borrow his laptop since we found we can steal WiFi from the apartments two blocks away.

I wanted to clarify that just b/c the majority of folks who post here are homeless and hungry, we are managing - obviously! It isn't a heartless town - it is just a town without jobs. So I don't want you to get the wrong impression. Heck, I had this really nice guy buy me a Mochaccino just this afternoon, and I don't really think he suspected I was homeless. He was just being kind.

Please don't think our whole city is in shambles. Only about 20% of folks are either unemployed or underemployed. And a lot of folks have left (gone back to the areas they lived in b/f they moved here a few years ago) so I just suspect the figures are not that high. I bet it is more like 17% of folks who are without jobs. And for folks who are homeless - let me straighten that out. Just b/c about 10,000 people are on the streets, they are NOT all uptown. Some of us have spread out to other areas like Southpark and I have heard there are even some in Ballantyne. We figure - what the heck - why not learn our way around since the Mayor is gonna make sure we get some affordable housing (translate: Section 8) in the upscale areas of the city/county - so why let a demoralizing situation with lack of job and work keep us from living in the best areas? I figure I will be in a new apartment in no time.

It's like that mystery poster who sent you the DM said. Some folks just hover around any threads that have to do with the economy or real estate, waiting to drop the doom and gloom cause the real truth is - they want all the jobs for themselves, selfish b$stards.

So don't believe the BS some of the regulars spout. Like your mystery poster said - nothing wrong with this area that some jobs and money wouldn't solve. I believe that person said: "Beyond the jobs/economy - it's a great place to live." SO TRUE! I mean, supposing you had a trust fund to hold you through, or you are living on disability or a pension. Now look at it that way. The only thing holding folks back from enjoying living here is money. And having a job is not the ONLY way to get money. It doesn't have to be that you turn to a life of crime, pimping or selling crack on the corner. If you qualify for food stamps and free healthcare, then all you have to do is worry about housing til Mayor Foxx gets the affordable housing worked out - and I can assure you, there are plenty of places to hang out if you can't get into one of the homeless shelters. It is getting kind of crowded around Nordstrom's, tho, so I would suggest you have someone with you so the two of you can rotate saving your spot. Things start getting a little frantic around sundown (for choice spots).

Anyway, just wanted to let you know - don't listen to the folks trying to dissuade you from comin' on down. It's summer! Not like you will be shivering in the cold if you have to spend a few months in your car or on a park bench. People exaggerate the downside of moving here without a job. There are a lot of resources if you can't find work.

The only thing I would do differently is stock up on toilet paper. I thought I had it all figured out when I packed up b/f the eviction, and I will say I did think of every angle as far as pre-paying my cell phone (gotta stay in touch w/ those recruiters!!!), making sure I had my camp stove, Brita water filter, Woolite (handy for hand washing undies in McDonald's restroom sinks) and six months supply of peanut butter and crackers. I just never knew what a precious commodity Charmin was til I had to deal with that cheap-arse scratchy TP in Mall restrooms. <Live and Learn, as they say!>

I expect any day now I will get a call from one of the recruiters I am working with. Things are definitely looking up. I just can't figure out why I see all these jobs advertised online and yet when I go to apply for them, I get told they are already filled (got 2000 applicants). But I know things are getting better because I heard at least 10 companies are coming here - and I added it up - and that will be more than 3500 jobs! Now you can't tell me all 80,000 people out of work here are qualified for those 3500 jobs, so I don't see how the competition could be THAT stiff. Do you????
God, I love you - I am laughing so hard I can't see to type more, LOLOLOLOLOL

Old 06-09-2010, 09:57 AM

43 posts, read 95,772 times
Wow! Thank you anifani821............ Sounds pretty interesting and normal were i come from(minority americans)! You know it must be F'UP when middle class White America are suffering! all in all in some ways the Recession to ME is a GOOD THING! EVERYBODY get to SUFFER together!The Struggle congratulations! U finally get to SEE and TASTE what some people in america been dealing with ALONG TIME(years) before the Recession hit!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:08 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
God, I love you - I am laughing so hard I can't see to type more, LOLOLOLOLOL

LOVES!!! So glad to see a "regular" found a library open - and thus, could post!

Wish you had more time to post in between scavenging for lunch. I am sure you would echo my sentiments . . . Charlotte is a terrific place to live, with or without a job. I am so sick of everyone making every decision based on MONEY. Dang. There is so much more to life.

PS> Speaking of scavenging for lunch . . . I have been eating quite well lately. With all the al fresco dining going on around SouthPark, it is very simple (and economically feasible) to get a table, order coffee, and then as people vacate their tables, just wander over and pick up the leftovers. Maybe it is simply that famous Southern Hospitality . . . but I have never had anyone say a word about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte