Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:13 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,666,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneloveU View Post
Wow! Thank you anifani821............ Sounds pretty interesting and normal were i come from(minority americans)! You know it must be F'UP when middle class White America are suffering! all in all in some ways the Recession to ME is a GOOD THING! EVERYBODY get to SUFFER together!The Struggle congratulations! U finally get to SEE and TASTE what some people in america been dealing with ALONG TIME(years) before the Recession hit!
I'm sorry. Don't quite understand . . . ? Life is good. I am surrounded by friends and coworkers who are in my same situation. I "live" in the most upscale area of the city. I am not complaining. I feel very lucky to now get to use some of those tax dollars I have contributed for 40 years - and am getting very used to it. I totally understand why poverty is generational and why so many folks have decided to just live off the gubment. Why not? It's there. I want my piece 'o the pie, so to speak.

But I don't see this as a STRUGGLE. Pretty simple process . . . just lose everything (or never bother to get a job to ACQUIRE ANYTHING TO LOSE) and Uncle Sam will step in.

Like I said earlier, I am just waiting for my affordable housing.

Life is good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 10:45 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,054,437 times
Sorry - been dumpster diving for dinner since this morning. What I miss?

Old 06-09-2010, 10:46 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,939,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I'm sorry. Don't quite understand . . . ? Life is good. I am surrounded by friends and coworkers who are in my same situation. I "live" in the most upscale area of the city. I am not complaining. I feel very lucky to now get to use some of those tax dollars I have contributed for 40 years - and am getting very used to it. I totally understand why poverty is generational and why so many folks have decided to just live off the gubment. Why not? It's there. I want my piece 'o the pie, so to speak.

But I don't see this as a STRUGGLE. Pretty simple process . . . just lose everything (or never bother to get a job to ACQUIRE ANYTHING TO LOSE) and Uncle Sam will step in.

Like I said earlier, I am just waiting for my affordable housing.

Life is good!

Hey, let's make a pact - whichever one of us gets that affordable housing first lets the other bunk up with them

Old 06-09-2010, 10:47 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,939,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

Now keep up Mikey - I've only got 62 minutes of use on this library computer left for today, I can't be spending all those valuable minutes filling you in

Old 06-09-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Dude, you ain't hanging at the right spots if you been digging 'round for eats that long.

You need to work on a relocation plan. Phillips Place has some FINE leftovers . . .

Old 06-09-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hey, let's make a pact - whichever one of us gets that affordable housing first lets the other bunk up with them
Oh, I thought that was SOP. I mean, from talking with the hardcore folks around here who have been living on the dole for decades, I get the impression that all one has to do is get qualified for the housing and then it is customary to have your friends, cousins, grandkids - whatever - move in.

I am learning a LOT here on the street. I can't believe I worked my arse off to get the college degrees and bought into that whole "responsible citizen" drama . . . when I could have been getting food stamps, housing, healthcare. I didn't have but one kid thinking it was too expensive to raise children, but honey - let me tell ya! I was WRONG. The gubment will pay for your childcare and here in MECK, they even have all these headstart type programs (forget what they are called but they always have some title with the words HOPE or BRIGHT in them - so BRIGHT HOPE BEGINNINGS or whatever - something like that). So I could have had a houseful of kids. I am so pi$$ed.

I am sure I didn't get this part right, but I was told by one gal (she said she qualifies as "displaced" - whatever that means?) - she said that she gets a check monthly based on how many kids she has! Seriously! I could have had kids and gotten paid just for having them. And she said that Medicaid even paid for her OB and hospital costs.

Do you think that could possibly be true?

Old 06-09-2010, 11:25 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,457,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneloveU View Post
Wow! Thank you anifani821............ Sounds pretty interesting and normal were i come from(minority americans)! You know it must be F'UP when middle class White America are suffering! all in all in some ways the Recession to ME is a GOOD THING! EVERYBODY get to SUFFER together!The Struggle congratulations! U finally get to SEE and TASTE what some people in america been dealing with ALONG TIME(years) before the Recession hit!
This is, far and away, the most idiotic thing I've seen posted on CD in a long, LONG time.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:54 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,234,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh, I thought that was SOP. I mean, from talking with the hardcore folks around here who have been living on the dole for decades, I get the impression that all one has to do is get qualified for the housing and then it is customary to have your friends, cousins, grandkids - whatever - move in. .....
Do you think that could possibly be true?
This is old skool gubment living. There is an easier way now.

Before the train pulled out, all you had to do was sign a note on a McMansion, get a 2nd mortgage to buy the stuff for it, and get a HELOC just in case there there was a chance to squeeze any last bit of equity out of the place. Oh and don't forget the credit cards. Now you just have to say that you can't pay, stop mailing the payments and the gubment will do it for you. No street living, diving in dumpsters, and having those pesky kids in order to get that free money.

If you missed this gravy train, it's still not to late to catch the next one as the gubment threw out the middle men and is running the train itself now. Go sign up for a ticket. It's just paper and numbers in a computer. It's not real so no harm done. The "recovery" is depending on it.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:39 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,366,662 times
So, let me recap what you have been saying. What I have been doing all along was the wrong thing. Darn it, it felt right all along.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:41 PM

24 posts, read 51,252 times
Quote: Ani
I got lucky tonite (which is why I am finally able to post). I usually bed down on the Nordstrom's side of SouthPark Mall with a few other laid off management types who sleep behind the row of Euonymous bushes (nice mulch; good breeze; very private) but this evening I was able to hook up with one of my laid-off Wachovia buds (IT project manager, wouldn't ya know!) and he is letting me borrow his laptop since we found we can steal WiFi from the apartments two blocks away.

I wanted to clarify that just b/c the majority of folks who post here are homeless and hungry, we are managing - obviously! It isn't a heartless town - it is just a town without jobs. So I don't want you to get the wrong impression. Heck, I had this really nice guy buy me a Mochaccino just this afternoon, and I don't really think he suspected I was homeless. He was just being kind, etc, etc

ROTFLMAO!!!! Ani, you have such tact with your posts, love it!! Just trying to tell the truth about the situation down there, go figure. oh well guess the OP knows more than all the responses. (mabey they could let us in on the secret to get a job) All kidding aside, i have found great advice and very truthful info in this forum, and a few jabs, lol, keep it coming (for the ones who dont have all the info, hehe)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte