Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,533 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are searching for retirement location. We currently live in TX but we both grew up in the Eastern US and are looking to VA as a possibility. Specifically we are considering Charlottesville/Crozet, Fredericksburg and Lake Frederick areas. We are in our early 60s and would like an active community with amenities such as workout room, walking trails and community activities as a means of meeting people. Any suggestions from active "seniors" (don't you hate that term? ) would be most appreciated. I am a bit concerned about the winters. I was stationed in DC area and found them to be relatively mild so I am hoping this is true for the areas I mentioned. We are going to make our first exploratory trip in the spring. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 11:43 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,225,095 times
If this is in your price range, it is a nice complex in a nice location:

http://www.westminstercanterbury.org/

If you are 60 or over, you can audit classes at UVA for free. Scroll to the bottom of this webpage.

Tuition and Fees - University of Virginia - Acalog ACMS

There are other retirement communities in Charlottesville. I woud suggest that you throw Harrisonburg into your possible places.

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2015, 07:12 AM

12,043 posts, read 6,578,423 times
C'ville has an amazing senior center
Senior Center - Charlottesville, VA

And an amazing newcomers club
Activities

Crozet sounds like it meets your needs, plus Old Trail community in Crozet has the Lodge (for when decrepitude slips in lol) which is for Independent, assisted living, and Alzheimer's and very nicely done so you are still a part of the community there.
Crozet has an amazing new library and lots of hiking trails, lakes, wineries, farms, a book store, artist cooperative and three great coffee shops plus good restaurants and a golf course.
It's an easy fifteen minute drive to C'ville.

Last edited by mountainrose; 02-28-2015 at 08:08 AM..

Old 02-28-2015, 10:07 AM

124 posts, read 277,514 times
The past two winters in Northern Virginia have been anything but "relatively mild". In fact, this February may be the coldest in eighty years. Charlottesville weather is not that different. I like Charlottesville a lot, but you might find it a bit cheaper (and the temperatures a tad warmer) in, say, Williamsburg. I believe that senior citizens can audit classes at the College of William and Mary as well as take classes tailored to seniors that are offered by the Christopher Wren Association (connected with W&M).

TN Lily mentioned the Westminster Canterbury of the Blue Ridge continuing care retirement community (CCRC) in Charlottesville. I have visited that community. It is nice but quite expensive because it offers a "life care" contract which is essentially a long term care insurance policy tacked on to your housing and other expenses.

Like you, I am in my early 60s and have been exploring CCRCs in Virginia and neighboring states. If you are interested in a continuing care retirement community in this area, feel free to send me a direct message and I can give you some other suggestions.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:22 PM

70 posts, read 95,612 times
Charlottesville is great for retireds. We generally have enough snow to be pretty, maybe a couple days when the schools close due to it. (Actually the schools more often close due to ice. Or even a forecast of ice lol) Old trail Village as someone mentioned is so beautiful with the mountains right there. If you come here in the spring you will fall in love, it's the prettiest time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville