Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 11:36 AM

4 posts, read 29,733 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
My husband may have a job opportunity in Charlottesville. I thought I'd better start researching the area. We are from Plymouth, Ma and we have two young children (7 & 9). Is Charlottesville a good place to raise children? Are there other neighborhoods close by with better schools. The schools and neighborhoods are our highest priority. Would only like a 30 min. or less commute. Can anyone give me some advice? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 02:42 PM

847 posts, read 3,354,168 times
Have you looked at GreatSchools.net What kind of price range are you looking at for housing?

You might want to look at Palmyra. Lake Monticello is a nice community in Palmyra, around a lake with artificial beaches all around the neighborhood, lots of trees, fairly affordable single family houses (and some condos I think), and I know there are young families there. Haven't checked out the schools specifically, but I can't imagine any reason why they wouldn't be fine. That website will give you a rough cut of demographics and test scores at any of the public schools.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:20 AM

54 posts, read 182,762 times
Lake Monticello is nice but they have a ridiculous HOA. The rules are outrageous and so are the costs. The Charlottesville schools are very good. Education is a #1 priority here in my opinion. I live in between Charlottesville and Richmond and my commute is exactly 24 minutes to C-ville. If you are looking for a home on a lot of land your husband will have to commute but, not by much. Look at the following areas for a 30 minute max commute:

Louisa
Palmyra
Troy
Greene
Ruckersville
Gordonsville
Barboursville

The prices in these areas are A LOT cheaper then Charlottesville prices and you get A LOT more land. I hope this helps.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:01 PM

59 posts, read 228,537 times
Anyone I know who lived in Palmyra did not like it. The schools are not great compared to the systems in and around Charlotteville and the drive into town winds and turns on two lanes - and takes 40 minutes.

North of town is lots of new construction and good schools. Western Albemarle county is lovely. There are other great areas to live right in the city, too. Because Charlottesville is a university town almost every public system has a lot of professors' kids, especially the city schools (Charlottesville system) and the Western Albemarle Schools and Albemarle Schools. They also have a nice Catholic school and a few excellent private schools, as well.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:10 PM

847 posts, read 3,354,168 times
I didn't mean to say that there was anything wrong with Charlottesville or C'ville schools, I just know people at Lake Monticello and thought I'd mention it.

I agree that the HOA rules there are nitpicky and strange. House prices seemed pretty low to me, but I think they've been rising over the past year or two.

The people I know there like it, but one of the families I know there has been there since the neighborhood was founded, so I'd expect that guy to like it. The other family I know there consists of that guy's brother. So, maybe not a representative sample.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:08 PM

40 posts, read 193,746 times
Charlottesville is great. Local papers: The HooK - Charlottesville's weekly newspaper, news magazine C-VILLE Charlottesville's news & arts weekly | Charlottesville VA news music culture dining DailyProgress.com | Charlottesville Va News, Classified & Lifestyle

For children, check out: AlbemarleFamily - NEW for the week of Tuesday - Monday February 19 - February 25, 2008

I have three children and we're really enjoying the quality of life here. My wife works at the hospital and we live in the city (minutes from shopping, downtown, University of Virginia, etc.) Do you have a specific price range? Give me a few more details and I will point you in the right direction.

Pavel Moderator cut: real estate advertising not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-26-2008 at 04:16 AM..

Old 02-25-2008, 04:40 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
While Lake Monticello is nice, Fluvanna County schools don't hold a candle to Albemarle and the OP listed schools as a major criteria....

The issue would be what the OP can afford I suppose. Albemarle is more expensive with good reason.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:49 PM

3 posts, read 12,342 times
unless you want to bend over and take it while paying for private schools around charlottesville, the schools around here Suck. i graduated last year and attended a few schools. nelson county would be the county of choice, prettiest and nicest area

Old 02-27-2008, 02:44 PM

96 posts, read 385,857 times
I would definately suggest Albermarle...I think moving the Fluvanna, Nelson, Lake Montecello defeats the purpose of living near such a small (but dynamic) city like Cville...Crozet is nice, or any of the areas just outside the city..I would even bet that some of the City schools (especially primary) are probably pretty good..just take your time...

Old 02-28-2008, 06:16 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverman6602 View Post
unless you want to bend over and take it while paying for private schools around charlottesville, the schools around here Suck. i graduated last year and attended a few schools. nelson county would be the county of choice, prettiest and nicest area
You talking the city schools???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville