Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 01:55 PM

111 posts, read 561,116 times

Advertisements

Chattanooga is #41 on the list of least-safe cities in the US. I was very surprised to see this because I don't think of Chattanooga as a large city. We are thinking of moving from Vermont to Chattanooga next summer, but I was worried when I saw this ranking. Is this due to tourism? Are there areas of Chattanooga with dangerous areas of town? Do people avoid the city after dark?

Old 10-23-2007, 02:29 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,874,462 times
Lightbulb South City not your 1st choice

Mary: Many of us enjoy the rural outskirts of Chatt, and the OverSupply of Churches in the county. Yes there has been quite a bit of newspaper and TV stories about the south side of the city core after darkness. This is not the tourist section. Domestic disputes, neighbors fights, drug deals gone bad. Homeless section of town, etc etc. Even a police Sgt arrested for his 911 dispatcher wife(T.Parker) mystery disappearance.
. You might be right the statictics are adding up and some people do strange things after dark, but the neighborly church communities around Hamilton county are very active and enjoyable. Many music jam sessions thru week, community centers for pot luck parties, holiday festivals, military support. .Large sporting clubs , Pro golf tour last weekend, prior 5,000 women runners / walkers for Breast cure 5k trot in city streets. 2nd largest river rowing regatta in country coming in Nov. Our nine day/night Riverbend music festival in June.
. Area has lots to offer and still should look to relocate in suburbs, will leave a light on for ya.!

Old 10-23-2007, 02:33 PM

390 posts, read 1,701,313 times
Actually, downtown Chattanooga is very safe. They have worked hard to create a downtown where people can actually be out and about walking and enjoying the many activities. I cannot speak to the actual stats, except to say that the news has so many more positive stories here than we saw in Florida (or in other areas of the country I have lived). I mean, you hear crime reported on the news, but it is much less frequently. Someone on here said it is difficult to make assumptions based on statistics, because all cities report crime differently. If someone is arrested with multiple charges, do all cities report all of those charges? I don't know.

I feel very safe here and there are so many wonderful parks to enjoy!! We love the downtown and surrounding areas. We spent our anniversary exploring the whole area by foot, with our two-year old. It is a great city for walking or biking.

There are areas where crime is higher, and no, I would not feel comfortable being around some of them at night. I am sure there are areas I would not want to be in during the day, either, but I have not seen them yet. I am a social worker though, so I am a little bit immune to that than I used to be. I am always careful even in the best neighborhoods. I guess we have to be in this day.

Last edited by beachbyrd; 10-23-2007 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 10-23-2007, 03:39 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times
I certainly do not know this for sure, but if you're truly researching moving there, you might want to research how they report crimes. I know recently Knoxville was rated as more dangerous than LA and New York, and it was all because they report each crime committed separately which is different than many other cities.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:13 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,419,229 times
I lived in the Chattanooga area for five years and absolutely loved it. Every area in the country has safety issues in certain areas. I certainly don't have the mobility in metro Atlanta that I had in Chattanooga, but the home I grew up in is located here.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:29 AM

14 posts, read 104,447 times
To be honest with you, anyone would have to be an idiot to be walking anywhere by themselves in the dark in any city. It's common sense. You never know what could happen.
Jails are over populated.
Schools are over populated.
Chattanooga is just another city.
I've lived here all my life in Collegedale TN and it's really not that bad. You hear about crime and murder, but what about the stuff that isn't reported? I'd be more worried about the cities that didn't have high crime than the cities that do. At least we know that are guys are catching the criminals.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:05 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,653,299 times
Good points Sway. I have lived here most of my life, primarily in middle class residential areas, and have had no real worries. We have cruised downtown at night riding the shuttle and besides the bums who ask for change nothing seems to go on. Our downtown area is VERY pedestrian friendly. Not once have I hesitated to attend an event there at any time of day. However, I DO work in a very rough part of town and would not hang out there at night. Anyone with half a brain would know these spots and beware. I would have never thought that we were on a high crime/least safe list.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:09 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,315,676 times
Default Interesting

Well, maybe Chat reports "crime" the same way Kingsport does? The Tri-Cities were listed as "high crime" too and I live here and just don't see it and feel very safe, so I did a little research and came up with some interesting info, you can check it out here: //www.city-data.com/forum/kings...-stats-tn.html
Maybe Chat police and sheriffs do the same? Does anyone know anyone in that profession who they could ask?

Old 02-25-2009, 11:11 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary77 View Post
Chattanooga is #41 on the list of least-safe cities in the US. I was very surprised to see this because I don't think of Chattanooga as a large city. We are thinking of moving from Vermont to Chattanooga next summer, but I was worried when I saw this ranking. Is this due to tourism? Are there areas of Chattanooga with dangerous areas of town? Do people avoid the city after dark?
That means there are 40 cities much worse.

How many cities the size of Chattanooga are there, to begin with?

Old 02-26-2009, 07:02 AM

243 posts, read 692,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbc423 View Post
ive lived in chattanooga all my life and i have visited cities all over and there arent too many places ive been that are as ghetto or as dangerous as chattanooga tennessee the north side of the city is the less dangerous part like hixson or red bank and if your movin here just stay out of avondale eastdale bushtown alton park hell even highland park dont go on the west side or the west side of north chatt don't go to east lake there are a lot of white people in east lake but its still ghetto don't move to the east side of brainerd road try to not drive down wilcox or tunnel blvd. but hixson red bank signal mtn. east ridge harrison soddy daisy ooltelwah collegedale middle valley you should be alright there but you never know here chattanooga is a lot like memphis except it used to be dirtier (hard to believe) it used to be the dirtiest city in america and it is way more dangerous than knoxville or nashville some list rank chatt as no. 40 most dangerous but others say it as high as 18th most dangerous city and with almost 500 thousand in the county and the city encompasses the whole county although there are areas inside the city that aren't in the city limits but i just thought i would give ya'll the real scoop

Where are you getting that Hamilton county has 500,000 people. In 2007, the county had a little over 330,000 people; the city itself had almost 170,000 of those 330,000. http://www.chattanoogachamber.com/PDF_Files/pop07.pdf You might be thinking of the MSA, which had over 500,000, but that includes: Marion, Hamilton, and Sequatchie counties in TN and Catoosa, Walker, and Dade counties in GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga