Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 12,713 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (both in our early 30's) are looking to move somewhere in the Southeast and near the mountains. Collectively, we have lived in Chicago, Montreal, Romania, Ireland, Ohio and Florida. We are currently in Chicago and love a lot of what the big city has to offer but need hills and hiking and would prefer a much smaller city that still has some big-city things to offer. We also do not like Chicago's winter one bit.

Asheville is beautiful and has a lot going on as far as music, craft beer and good, local food. But, after spending a couple of weeks here to further investigate its living potential, I realized that I would like a bit more diversity than it seems to offer. It feels very "white" (or maybe just segregated?) and either wealthy retiree or hippie trust-fund-kids and, though I would say we lean toward liberal (at least on social issues), it almost feels TOO liberal and I feel I'd have no one to argue with Everyone in between the two extremes I mentioned seems to be underemployed as they all tell me there really are not jobs here and that it doesn't appear as if this city will grow to have them. We need more diversity (socioeconomic, political, ethnic, "racial") and perhaps a bit more grit. Asheville seems so clean and Disney-like and everyone is just so damn tolerant...of everybody. It is beautiful and freaks me out at the same time. Not sure I can live here.

Chattanooga, on the other hand, seems a bit less polished, is still near the outdoor activities that we need and seems to have a brewery or two and some good restaurants (I have cooked for a living and require more than Chili's). Other than that, we know very little of it...besides that it has the best internet in the US (which would be awesome as we are used to much higher speeds in Europe).

We have done lots of different things for jobs...I have cooked, bartended, built houses out of earth, taught, worked with refugees and been a stock and commodity broker. My husband does traditional construction, builds houses out of earth, makes furniture and drives a taxi in Chicago. We also both do permaculture farming and would love to find out if there is anything like that going on around the area as we'd like to permanently get away from jobs that involve offices or require stupid uniforms. Would love to start up our own thing involving farming, food, earth houses and possibly a hostel/bed and breakfast type-thing.

Just looking for opinions of Chattanooga, from those living in Chattanooga, before we plan our visit. Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 08:44 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
It sounds like Chattanooga is a better fit. You could consider Knoxville as we are more gritty. Also Knoxville seems to have a wider range of ethnic diversity (more cultures represented), though Chatt has more african americans if that is what you seek with diversity.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:14 PM

99 posts, read 203,855 times
I think Asheville is pretty gritty. Def. wouldn't call it Disney like. They have a lot of bums downtown.

Nooga does have a gritty downtown area with a lot of prostitution and crime. There's not a lot of jobs in Nooga, it is mostly a tourist town at this point.

You could look at Greenville which is about 45 minutes south of Asheville in SC. It has a great downtown area and a better job scene than nooga and aville.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:29 AM

6 posts, read 22,725 times
Junilis,
I live 90 miles from where you currently are. I have lived in three areas surrounding the mountains of NC/TN.
here's the deal, your both young and if you plan on having children I would consider Ashville, better town to raise children in. with that being said, Ashville, is a smaller town than chatt. there is an east chatt. and chatt. east is rougher. honestly not a lot to do for a younger person, Ashville on the flip side, is smaller and more preppie. I have also resided in Knoxville,TN Bigger town/college. Lots to see and do yet, traffic is worse than the loop at certain times, from Knoxville your an hour away from all the mountains. BUT, the civil war and the old ways still exist, by that I mean women are treated like women and males are bashed, I was with an athletic club in Knoxville where the males/females couldn't use the same hot tubs etc. yet they walk outside and hike up their skirts just like the Midwestern folk do. go to church and pray and then sin baby sin. I'm sure many won't like my comments but it's the truth.
Go to Ashville and enjoy life. had my mother not been critically ill, I would have never came back here, I'd be in Ashville and am currently looking there NOW! Good luck.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:25 AM

352 posts, read 883,637 times
I don't know much about Asheville, but Chattanooga sounds like it fits you perfect. It is diverse, and there are LOTS of jobs available with your backgrounds and experience. Our downtown is not gritty, as said above. There are areas , like EVERY town you avoid, and they are pretty noticable, pretty quickly.
It's everything outdoors you would want, and if you get bored, then you are boring, LOL.
We have fantastic and lots of craft brews/beers. We have a few restaurants that brew their own. We also do have the fantastic, local owned, crafty, foodie type restaurants all over downtown.
We seem to have almost year around live music on the weekends. Either downtown or by the river. Free.
To be a "big" town, we have a community feel.
If you had the opportunity you should come visit for a while, and then ask the questions and we Chattanoogans could be more of help.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:36 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,612 times
Default Williams Island Farming

J, WELCOME. I think you would like the new opportunities here in Chatt. New ideas are
given a chance..Not sure of your farming interest, BUT here is a LINK for Williams Island
to review. Growing Local: Williams Island Farm
There are different Grant money activities also.
.Other people from big cities had a rap against Chatt for no Pro sports teams. .We are two hours
from Atlanta via Int 75 so people can always do a weekend in Atlanta for big city culture, etc.

Each year the winters are different, but usually get our one day of snow.. Mornings can be a icy
drive with temps right at 30 degrees.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:52 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,612 times
Thumbs up , CRAFT Beer Article Link

Front page of Business section today has article on CRAFT Beer Local Brewers
Craft beer demand growing: Chattanooga on radar of brewers across the country | timesfreepress.com
Again out of town readers can view the daily newspaper online at the Times Free Press.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 12,323 times
Chattanooga is diverse on the surface, but that doesn't necessarily add up to being inclusive and tolerant. Personally, when I was there, Chattanooga gave the impression of flaunting diversity, yet remain highly segregated in many ways. So don't be fooled by city or town that goes out of its way to overly shout WE'RE DIVERSE. Sounds more like trying to prove something that isn't true.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:53 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,510,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moab1 View Post
I think Asheville is pretty gritty. Def. wouldn't call it Disney like. They have a lot of bums downtown.

Nooga does have a gritty downtown area with a lot of prostitution and crime. There's not a lot of jobs in Nooga, it is mostly a tourist town at this point.

You could look at Greenville which is about 45 minutes south of Asheville in SC. It has a great downtown area and a better job scene than nooga and aville.
I disagree with the comparison to Greeneville and Asheville, which I like, but are dispersed with pockets of activity. Both are nice compact downtowns, but are not on a major river, which is an enormous asset. Just this weekend, the city will be hosting Head of the Hooch, which is an international rowing competition that lasts all weekend and brings thousands to the city. Plus, the surrounding scenery is amazing (yes, I like Asheville's too!). But take an autumn or spring drive up the Sequatchie Valley or take in the vistas of Cloudland Canyon, and you'll see what I mean. Not to mention all the Civil War history that seems so "alive" around Chattanooga. A large portion of Chickamauga Lake is in the city limits too. Plus, the Chattanooga MSA has approximately 550,000 residents, but that doesn't include Cleveland-Bradley (100,000) which is only 20 minutes north... and Dalton-Whitfield (100,000) 20 minutes south.. all which combine to form a relatively compact market area of over 750,000

And regarding jobs... The greater Chattanooga area is booming with approximately 4000 new jobs right now. That percentage growth leads the state among all the major cities. And the new VW plant is just a "small" part of the overall picture. There are factories that supply the auto, plastics, ceramics, logistics and textile industries that are expanding. Examples: Aerisyn, Amazon, General Electric, Whirlpool, T Mobil, Honigsberg-Duvell, Mars M&M, Access America, Homeserve, and Wacker. And speaking of VW, Team 3 Logistics and Woodbridge are expanding with hundreds of jobs. Plus, VW just announced a 1000 job expansion... with a real possibility of adding a new car line in the next two years (a new SUV model will be made at either Chattanooga or a plant in Mexico). Plus, there are large established F500 corps with significant presences in the area: Dow, Dupont, Olin, Rock-Tenn, BASF, ADM... and several with divisions based here: Wrigley, Sanofi, Cigna, TVA, ... not to mention the "homegrowns" Blue Cross Blue Shield, Unum, Miller Industries, Aztec, Fillauer, Miller and Martin, Luken and CBL.

And there is a rapidly growing entrepreneurial sector that has both started and moved to Chattanooga (mostly in South End/South Market) because of the city's fastest Internet in the world, with the EPB's (yay, you have to love competition) Gigabyte fiber optic infrastructure that supports all the emergency response and phone systems, along with cable TV. And Erlanger Medical Center is a teaching hospital and L1 trauma center. Plus... the Tennessee Riverpark (greenway)... ah, the Riverpark. Just Google it for a glimpse of what an asset the Riverpark is.

Then there is the hospitality industry, which has grown just this year with four Hampton Inns, and new Embassy Suites, a new Marriott downtown on the river and over 1000 new residences currently under construction downtown. There are another 500 apartments planned downtown, as well. There are two new Publix supermarkets under construction (one on the northshore) and two large hospital expansions underway (Memorial and Erlanger East). Plus, there are two fine 4-year universities in UTC (13,000 students) and Lee University (5,000). Covenant College (1000 students) is a Presbyterian affiliated college on Lookout Mountain and Southern Adventist University (3000) is located in Collegedale (10 miles north). And Chattanooga State (CC) has 12000 students and partners with many manufacturers in the area. Plus, the downtown bus/shuttle system operates without having to pay fares. Then again, compared to those other cities (and this is no small thing), Tennessee has no state income tax.

Plus, if you ever get a bit of wanderlust, I can make it to Atlanta in 1 hour and a half... and Nashville in a little over 2 hours. Air service in any of the three G'ville, A'ville and Nooga are not the greatest (actually, they can suck depending on where you need to go), but that's another good reason to be so close to Atlanta (and Nashville too if you like to fly Southwest). Plus, there are three Interstate highways that traverse the city (I-75, I-24 and I-59).

On the diversity point, I haven't noticed that Chattanooga "flaunts" diversity (although I can believe it... as that's something a lot of "progressive" cities and towns want to be known), but the current Mayor Andy Berke is quite left-center in his politics; so this might be a "push" of his. However, I can tell you with certainty that the city has a lot of diversity outreach with the inner city areas (e.g. Chattanooga Housing Authority and Urban Alliance, Families First, Benwood and Ochs Center, and the Hamilton County Department of Education) have all had tremendous success with programs for minorities. Plus, there is even an "international area" along a two mile stretch of Lee Highway (ironically) lined with Indian, Asian, and Middle Eastern restaurants and shops.

Last edited by shinestx; 10-31-2013 at 02:31 PM..

Old 11-06-2013, 08:14 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,777 times
I'm familiar with both cities. I lived in Chattanooga for 9 months of my freshman year in college, and my brother moved there last Feb. I know Asheville fairly well because my parents located to Hendersonville 20 miles away, and I spent time there every year for their last 30 years. My mother grew up in N.C.

Asheville wins on the size of mountains and maybe on the scenery for real mountain types. It is maybe half the size of Chattanooga. Asheville draws a lot of artsy types, new agers and old hippies, but Chattanooga actually has a couple of good sized art museums, one on the river, and while we're at it, the river and two large lakes are a major part of the spectacular scenery around Chattanooga. The mountains around Chattanooga are actually fingers of the Cumberland Plateau carved by the water. There is not the dominance of water around Asheville, but the Appalachian trail and Blue Ridge Parkway are nearby. Asheville is maybe 1.5 hours from Charlotte, and 3 from Atlanta. Chattanooga is 2 hours from Atlanta and 2 to Nashville. Both cities have similar sized airports but Chattanooga has a huge advantage with shuttle service every 2 hours to Nashville BNA and hourly to Atlanta ATL. Chattanooga has more tourist business by far and a much higher level entertainment and restaurant sector. And if jobs and economy are a consideration, Chattanooga would be the obvious choice. They also have a two weekend music festival there every year. I should mention the two world class attractions in Asheville, the Grove Park Inn and the Biltmore Estate, but then you have the attractions of Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga.

You might check into the medical footprint of the two cities, I don't think Asheville has anything to measure up to Erlanger med center in Chattanooga. Also there is a state U. in Chatt. there is a small college in Asheville. Finally, my brother was living in Lawrenceville, Ga, a northern Atlanta suburb, and he and his wife chose to relocate to Chattanooga, and Asheville was not on their list; Knoxville was.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga