Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2008, 03:55 PM

148 posts, read 848,250 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I posted on here probably about 6 months ago asking questions about Chattanooga after hearing awesome things about it (we had/have been considering a move to Nashville for at least 2 years) but didn't pursue it any further because we have had no luck selling or renting our house here in Phoenix. Well on a whim my husband and I have decided to take a family vacation back to Nashville to visit friends and then drive down to Chattanooga for a couple of days to check it out.

First question is where do we stay? We are very excited to take our kids to the aquarium. I know that is downtown and here in Phoenix I would never recommend anyone stay downtown but I thought I read that Chattanooga's downtown is safe. Is that true? Is there somewhere else relatively close that would be better for our family to stay? Also, we have 4 kids and would really like to stay in a hotel that has suites, nice and clean but not too expensive. Asking a lot, I know. We usually stay in a Hampton Inn and Suites but saw as far as I could tell that Chattanooga has Hampton Inns but not the ones with suites.

Secondly, what are the top neighborhoods for us to check out with only 2-3 hours time? We are a family with 4 young children and one on the way so family neighborhoods are very important. As of right now we are homeschoolers so schools don't really matter to us. My husband is an attorney so probably would have to work downtown if that is where most of the attorneys go. He is so lucky to only have a 15-20 minute commute here in the city where average commutes are 45-60 minutes and so I don't see him really wanting any commute over 30 minutes. I am a runner and would love a neighborhood with any kind of running paths, green belts if you have such things there. And of course safe!! Here in Phoenix, crime is getting out of control and I really want to live somewhere safe.

Thanks for any advice you all can offer. If there is anything else we should try to check out in Chattanooga that would make us fall in love with the city please tell us. We are only planning on staying 2 nights, 1 full day, 1 1/2 day before we have to drive back to Nashville to catch our flight. We are excited to come check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 04:59 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,684,171 times
it's safe...check out the Sheraton Read House for a wonderful stay. It may be a bit pricey, but you'll be glad you stayed. Or how about the Marriott downtown? If you're on a budget the cheapest, cleanest place to stay is the Microtel over by the airport. It's off 75 so you can easily jump on the highway and be downtown in about 15-20 minutes.

Great neighborhoods all around...check out North Chattanooga, Signal Mountain, Lookout Mountain, Hixson, Ootlewah....the list goes on and on

Old 03-26-2008, 05:27 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,612 times
Default Hixon , NOrth Chatt

W.A. : A short stay is only scratching the surface on what side of the lake / river one would pick a family neighborhood. Other out of staters have used the "EXtend - a - Stay" believe in Hixon near Lowes , Home Depot.
. This is route # 153 area north of the city and road runs East & West. Also near Mall and inside movie theaters. Short zip down to Acquarium & convention center.
Just NOrth of there on Hixon PIKE(West side of the river) is Beautiful County Park, camping ,etc fall co Fair "CHESTER FROST' Park. Beach swim, Your Running, etc, boat launch.
. Really should find the kind of church may join & closeness to interest activities.
...Bike-Path/roller blade/run on the East side of river.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:23 PM

849 posts, read 2,955,568 times
The bike path that Split shows is awesome. In October, we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn downtown and it was a great stay. The downtown is very safe, IMO.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:07 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,656,906 times
I know "we" always say North Chattanooga/North Shore but this sounds PERFECT for you and your family. So close to downtown you could walk across the river to work. Wonderful Coolidge Park for the children to play. Close to bike and walking paths that Split added pics of. Full of younger families. Nice organic grocery store close and some cafes. We also have a great elementary, middle and high school very close (Normal Park and CSAS). The only problem I can imagine is that the kids might have trouble riding their bikes when they get older on those hilly windy streets lol

Old 03-27-2008, 05:34 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,292,857 times
Those are some really pretty places that split posted the pics on! I am sure going to find out more about them after we get up there! (May 1, if the good Lord's willin and the creeks don't rise!)

Old 03-28-2008, 03:10 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,684,171 times
And please, no bike riding on Hixson Pike!

Old 04-02-2008, 03:29 PM

380 posts, read 1,178,687 times
Here's a link to Chattanooga's MLS listings, in case you want to check out home prices to eliminate neighborhoods.

MLSAreaListings.com

I tend to recommend North Chattanooga because I think it sounds right up your alley. Soddy Daisy and Signal Mountain would also suit your needs, but as you home school your kids, you might find more in common with the North Chatt mindset. It's more diverse. The best part about the area is that many streets have sidewalks, and you could run a marathon from your front door, over the river via the pedestrian bridge, up and down the path shown in Split's picture. You could run all over downtown and the North Chattanooga neighborhood.

If you want a bigger lot or are looking for a large house (2500+ square feet), then you'll get the most for your money in Soddy Daisy, plus you'll be close to the lake. Signal Mountain is gorgeous and you'd have a short drive to some great hiking trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga