Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 07:09 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,626 times

Advertisements

Well the ride down yesterday was long and tiring. We had some severe thunderstorms roll through Wisconsin on Friday night. We had about 6-8 inches of rain in a couple hours and our power was out until 12am We had to run a generator to finish packing and our neighbors basement had a foot of water in it so we had to help them pump it out. So...... we drove down on about 5 hours of sleep. Needless to say we ate and fell asleep on Saturday.

We are staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Hixson which is nice. The continental breakfast was nothing to write home about but it was not terrible. There are a few brand new hotels opening soon in the Ooltewah area. Holiday Inn Express is one and the Hampton Inn just opened.

Our initial views of Hixson are mixed. Although is seems like a nice area it does seem to be in an older part of town. There is a mall close to the hotel (Northgate Mall) and many restraunts but there is not a lot of new construction or newer subdivisions.

Today we visited Ooltewah and the Hamilton Mall area. We LOVE this area. We met with a realtor today who took us around for 5 hours. She showed us everything. Ooltewah High School looks very nice. There is a brand new middle/high school due to open this fall. There are many beautiful subdivisions in the Ooltewah area and we are amazed at how much house we can get for the money here. We have always lived in subdivisions so that is more our style. Overall there is a lot of construction going on in Ooltewah and it growing quickly. The Hamilton Mall area is about 15 minutes away and has every store or restaraunt one would need.

Tomorrow we will be visiting the riverwalk in downtown Chattanooga. We will also be meeting with Pratt Home Builders.

PS..... HOLY COW ITS HOT DOWN HERE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 09:36 PM

21 posts, read 76,746 times
Default Relocation Visit Trip Report - Thanks

Thanks so much for the report. Dying to read more as I'm considering a move to Chatt. Can't wait for your next report. I'm a single senior so my needs may be different. Thanks agin

Old 06-22-2009, 08:50 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,683,240 times
Glad to hear you're finding areas you like! Looking forward to your report of the downtown area - it's usually a clincher for those seriously looking at the Scenic City. The heat is hot, but it's this way all over the southeast right now.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:53 PM

184 posts, read 676,457 times
I'm about to melt!! This is my first summer here. Does it cool down periodically or should I expect this til late August? Ideal weather for swimming, air conditioner & the garden is loving it!

Old 06-22-2009, 01:17 PM

340 posts, read 1,512,306 times
'Tis a tad steamy, especially after the cool and rainy Spring we had. Guess that's over, but wish we'd get some rain. Not even July and the grass is considering turning brown.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:51 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,683,240 times
I manually watered last night - had to since the sprinkler system is down

Old 06-22-2009, 06:09 PM

77 posts, read 187,900 times
Default Coming down next Monday

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmarian View Post
'Tis a tad steamy, especially after the cool and rainy Spring we had. Guess that's over, but wish we'd get some rain. Not even July and the grass is considering turning brown.

I'll try to bring some rain when I come down next week...LOL! It's been like London and/or Seattle here in NY. It's the 21st day of June and we have had only 3 days WITHOUT rain!

Old 06-22-2009, 08:12 PM

179 posts, read 548,051 times
Got stuck in a huge storm in Oak Ridge...actually had to pull over, never had to do that in my life!

Old 06-23-2009, 09:34 AM

623 posts, read 1,542,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsdwmn72 View Post
I'll try to bring some rain when I come down next week...LOL! It's been like London and/or Seattle here in NY. It's the 21st day of June and we have had only 3 days WITHOUT rain!
I almost felt bad that your area's hosting of the U.S. Open was practically ruined by the rain, then I noticed that the NY area has hosted several Opens in the last 10 or so years and changed my mind.

My grass is beyond thinking about turning brown.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:18 PM

10 posts, read 39,353 times
Littleelvis - I have already made several trips down looking at Ooltewah and E. Brainard area cause we wanted the new East Hamilton Middle High School. If you need help with narrowing down the subdivisions - let me know. Actually had a house picked out, but we just decided yesterday to move to Sig. Mtn. instead.

Pearl - live in the big Ridge. We did get whomped pretty bad here Monday, but not too bad a place to stop. Will definitely miss parts of Oak Ridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga