Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 10:58 AM

90 posts, read 279,864 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the replies. Your input does help and is much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookin4mayberry View Post
If the word of gang issues and crime problems are keeping you from a move to this area...don't let it. I have been here since December of 89 and haven't looked back. It's a beautiful area, very decent cost of living, and you couldn't ask for better features from Mother Nature. There are some crime/gang issues that go on in the areas in the inner city. But, in my opinion it's punk thug kids who are looking to be big shots. Take a drive up north Hwy. 58, out to Ooltewah, ove up north 27, out in Apison..you will see beautiful places and safe places to live and raise your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 09:23 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,804,376 times
The latest Chattanooga police figures counted 1,391 gang members and 40 active gangs. That's up nearly 27 percent from last year when police documented 1,100 gang members.
Chattanooga gang report just the start; now what? | timesfreepress.com

Old 09-11-2012, 06:41 AM

600 posts, read 2,260,155 times
I moved downtown just over a year ago and have had zero problems. I walk and ride my bike all over the city at all times of the day and night. I'm not even nervous, but I am cautious, which you need to be everywhere now. Knoxville also has gang problems, as does all major cities. It's a nationwide epidemic and not just in big cities or urban areas.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:03 AM

340 posts, read 1,511,751 times
Generally I feel safe downtown, but this past Saturday evening took my wife and mom (who was visiting from out of town) down to walk over the Walnut Street Bridge shortly after dinner, about 9pm. None of us felt comfortable or particularly safe. At one point, a person walked up along side me, stood so close we were nearly holding hands and matched our pace exactly. It was extremely uncomfortable to the point of feeling threatened. We actually stopped and the person thankfully walked on. We were also asked to buy $5 CDs while ambling along, and in general I don't know that I will be back there after dark. What a shame, it is so lovely in the evening.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,611 times
I'm 16 years old and have lived in Chattanooga all my life. I must say that I love this city and even though there is crime here, it's not brutal like most people see it as; especially people from outside the city.I must say that Chattanooga has really changed over the past ten years. Not in a bad way though; the city's really looking better and better each year. If you have the money for it, there are several nice condos being built that have a beautiful view of downtown, but if not, there are MANY nice neighborhoods that would be perfect to have a family in. Let me get back to the crime. Yes there has been/is a lot of crime, but like others have said, it's only in parts that you may rarely go to. I've lived in the Hixson/ Red Bank portion and even though some peoples' first visit may make them feel a little uncomfortable; It's only because your not familiar with the area. I feel the same way when I go to places like Knoxville, Ringgold, and Atlanta. You just gotta know where to go and not to go. I mean don't get me wrong; it's not like your going to get shot in the ghetto or anything. You just gotta know what your doing and to watch your back. It's mostly gang on gang action and not on tourist, families, or other non-gang members. I think this city has a lot of potential and it seems like the cops are finally stepping up for their city.There are many great places and opportunities in this growing city. The Volkswagen and Amazon plants are great examples. Never the less, even if I ever leave Chattanooga to seek my career, I will never forget this unique city and would come back to visit several times to see the Beautiful place it really is.

OP I wish you the best of luck in finding your family home and I hope my opinions will help.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:25 PM

5 posts, read 28,026 times
Smile Sometimes, and in Certian areas

They are trying to revive the inner town areas, but it isn't happening fast enough, so avoid downtown areas for living. Hixson seems to be undergoing some changes right now, not sure what kind, but so far the area is still very stable. East Brainerd has terrible traffic at certian times (typically 3-6 pm), but it is a safer neighborhood, as well as North Chattanooga (near Normal Park). Me and my family live on the outskirts of the downtown area (a small neighborhood smashed between East Ridge and Downtown). It is safe here, but the surrounding areas are questionable. Gang violence tends to remain within the gangs themselves. They don't typically go after other, unknown people unless they are burglarizing, and even then you have to give them a reason to, like maybe drive your nice car down there, do a few wheelies, and make sure to state out loud your address and bank number. Crime is usually made up of simple assaults, which again is usually between parties that know each other on a more in depth level. So long as you stay in one of the neighborhoods that most people would say are safe, make sure you keep you do all the simple, common sense things (keep to yourself, friends, and family, lock your doors, invest in security system, you know, things you would do anywhere), Chattanooga's crime won't cross with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga