Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 05:03 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,603 times

Advertisements

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrolet-cruze-diesel.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 05:06 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
You can't polish a turd

Old 02-22-2013, 05:42 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
Who makes the engine?

If GM is manufacturing the engine, there's not much hope. They've screwed over the public too many times.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:45 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
This car is very disappointing... the gas mileage is not good at all for a diesel and the price is too high compared to other diesels on the market. I was expecting/hoping, it would get at least 50 MPG like the European model. The Diesel Jetta will kick this car's behind in sales!

Old 02-22-2013, 05:46 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Who makes the engine?

If GM is manufacturing the engine, there's not much hope. They've screwed over the public too many times.
The 2.0L diesel that will be offered in the Cruze is an engine that GM has used overseas for years. By all reports, a reliable and economical engine. How well it will perform with US emission controls is yet to be seen.

The diesel Cruze's EPA fuel economy rating on the highway is 42 mpg, about the same as the current VW Jetta models. At face value, the EPA rating would not make the Cruze diesel competitive with the ECO gas model at current fuel prices for gasoline and diesel. That said, the EPA rating system compared to real world fuel economy tends to overstate the fuel economy of gas engines and understate the fuel economy of diesels. My back of the envelope calculations at current diesel and gas prices in my area shows the Cruze diesel would have to get around 45 mpg highway to have a fuel cost per mile competitive with a 40 mpg gas model. Given the EPA underrating of diesel fuel economy, 45 mpg may be very achievable in real world driving. That doesn't pay back the initial engine cost premium of the diesel, but the diesel will have much better torque and low-speed performance than the Eco gas engine and, if what I've seen in past experience holds true for the diesel engine, it will outlast the gas engine in overall longevity.

As for the Cruze itself, for a fairly mundane econo sedan, it seems OK. A neighbor has one and is quite happy with it.

Last edited by jazzlover; 02-22-2013 at 05:57 PM..

Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 PM

27 posts, read 125,096 times
Default $27,000 Crazy Cruze.

Why anyone would spend $27,000 for a car that is about the size of a Toyota Corolla is beyond me.
42 MPG isint much more than the 38 MPG a corolla gets on the highway either.
And the Toyota will cost you $12,000 less.
As for the " Longevity " , most people will of traded in their car before they have spent even close to $12,000 worth of gasoline or diesel fuel.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:28 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Cruze is one of the nicest ecoboxes. It's boring, but comfortable, pretty quite, decent (relatively) back seat... beats the pants off the Civic or Corolla for having a pleasant interior, and it's not as pricey as the Focus, as fun as the Mazda, or as feature laden as the Elantra. Good combination of all of the above, however, while keeping the price reasonable which the Focus really struggles with. Unfortunately, unless the diesel puts out way better real world mileage numbers than the EPA ratings, there's absolutely zero point to buying it.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:33 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyhemet View Post
Why anyone would spend $27,000 for a car that is about the size of a Toyota Corolla is beyond me.
42 MPG isint much more than the 38 MPG a corolla gets on the highway either.
And the Toyota will cost you $12,000 less.
As for the " Longevity " , most people will of traded in their car before they have spent even close to $12,000 worth of gasoline or diesel fuel.
It's supposed to cost about $3,000 more than the gas version. I doubt they'll put it only on the LTZ trim, although I'm sure they'll only make it available on the upper trim levels (probably LT2... maybe, but I doubt it, the LT1). Absolutely stupid. People who buy diesels are tight wads who don't want to spend money on extraneous garbage. Same thing with VW... if they'd just put the diesel in the base models they'd sell twice as many. Then again, they seem to struggle to keep up with diesel inventory as it is, so I guess that's no incentive.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:00 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,563,140 times
For that kind of money you can get a much larger Camry hybrid that gets 41mpg combined while burning cheaper regular unleaded. Whats the point of this chevy?

Old 02-22-2013, 07:37 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
Are they out of their minds???

They've shut down the factories which produce the Malibu & LaCrosse due to abysmal sales, which is a major indictment of their company since the Malibu is a brand new model which has been totally remade, yet is getting demolished by the Sonata, Accord, Camry, Fusion, Passat & other standout family sedans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC