Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2014, 04:43 PM

3 posts, read 21,616 times

Advertisements

I am having problems stalling out due to starving for fuel after running a few hours smoothly. I have a new PMD, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, but when it stalls out, fuel is not getting to filter canister. There are no obstructions in the tank, and the PMD has been relocated. The truck will restart when it cools down - maybe 15 - 20 minutes later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 05:09 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,484,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul ritz View Post
I am having problems stalling out due to starving for fuel after running a few hours smoothly. I have a new PMD, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, but when it stalls out, fuel is not getting to filter canister. There are no obstructions in the tank, and the PMD has been relocated. The truck will restart when it cools down - maybe 15 - 20 minutes later.
I drove a 6.5 for a number of years. I would still suspect a malfunctioning PMD. Does the engine give any indication that it is starving for fuel before dying (engine missing, sputtering, etc.) or does it just suddenly die? If it is the latter, it probably is the PMD. If not, it may still have an issue with the fuel supply pump or it may have a bad fuel line allowing air to get into the system somewhere.

Though I doubt it is the problem that you are having, the injection pump can also have a problem. The injection pump on the 6.5 is pretty robust, but it does not behave well if it has been overheated. In fact, the biggest weakness of the 6.5 (other than being pretty gutless compared to current model diesels) is that the whole engine is pretty intolerant of overheating. Unfortunately, many 6.5 drivers overtaxed the engine with heavy towing, etc. which would overheat them. Once overheated, a 6.5 was often never quite the same and would have frequent problems. The 6.5 that I had lived well, but it was never used to tow anything very big, and only towed very seldom, at that.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:24 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,799,635 times
Check to see if the oil pressure sensor is good !!

Know as the (Fuel Pump Oil Pressure Switch And Sender).

Old 12-01-2014, 06:01 PM

Yes the fuel sputters and misses and just slowly comes to a stop before stalling. As any diesel does, when lacking sufficient fuel. The fuel supply pump is brand new.... I don't think its a bad fuel line because it runs fine for days sometimes. But always has the issue after the truck is warm. Each time the issue occurs, I took the top off the filter canister and noticed that there is very little or no fuel in the canister. Even if I turn the key forward and hear the pump run, very little fuel goes into the canister. When this issue does not happen, the pump fills the canister very quickly.
Having said that, all of this began three days after I completely ran the truck out of fuel.....

Old 12-01-2014, 06:02 PM

Where is the fuel pump oil pressure switch and sender located???

Old 12-01-2014, 07:20 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,484,308 times
With that description, I suspect that you have an air pocket in the fuel system somewhere between the tank and the fuel injection pump, possibly caused by running the system out of fuel or by a loose connection in the fuel system somewhere that is allowing air to get into the fuel line.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:45 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,674,572 times
My dad just replaced his third injection pump on his 96 6.5L. You may want to have someone check it to be safe. He finally fixed and sold that thing and went to an 04 Duramax. He has had tons of issues with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC