Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 6,057 times

Advertisements

After more consideration, the suburban downtown area with the most European village feeling to me is Lake Forest. Market Square, which is the center of the shopping area, was developed in 1916 and was one of the first shopping centers in the US, which I think adds to the older almost-European feel. There are great little shops and restaurants as well as a few franchises, all within an easily walkable town square. They also just put in a brand new Fresh Market right downtown. I know home prices are quite expensive in LF, but there are homes in the 400s within walking distance to the village. At that price in LF it's less house for the money than other suburbs, but it may be a trade off to get what you want in a town. A Metra stop is also right in the center of town, and of course Lake Forest beach is beautiful and even has a newer playground. The schools are great and taxes are considerably less than Deerfield and other towns for some reason. Like other posters said, America is not Europe so it's impossible to get that exact feeling, but we do have many great walkable suburbs here. I think OfftoUSA might be feeling a bit homesick, which is understandable. I am curious how they are feeling at this point; they haven't posted in a while. Maybe we scared them away with all of our advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 12:17 PM

13 posts, read 40,244 times
Wow! I lose internet access for a few days and a whole debate kicks off :-)

Folks - There are some great suggestions here and we'll take a look at all the towns you mention.
I agree there is an element of adjustment to do. We didn't really expect to find everything exactly like UK, but its not until you actually try and live a day to day life in some areas that you start to realise that actually the cute downtown area doesn't have anything you need and that to run a couple of errands you're going to spend an hour in the car (that would be a major excursion in UK!). There are still plenty of great things to enjoy though so we'll keep on soaking up the lifestyle and just figure it out piece by piece!

Old 09-10-2010, 03:52 PM

3 posts, read 6,057 times
Do as much research as you can and spend time shopping/going to restaurants in each area you are considering. In my experience there is no perfect place and you have to make the best of wherever you end up. Best of luck to you and your family!

Old 09-10-2010, 09:24 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffToUSA View Post
...but its not until you actually try and live a day to day life in some areas that you start to realise that actually the cute downtown area doesn't have anything you need and that to run a couple of errands you're going to spend an hour in the car!
Sounds about right. Pretty messed up, isn't it? But of course, living on the North Side of Chicago you'll spend that hour waiting for buses and trains.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:16 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffToUSA View Post
Wow! I lose internet access for a few days and a whole debate kicks off :-)

Folks - There are some great suggestions here and we'll take a look at all the towns you mention.
I agree there is an element of adjustment to do. We didn't really expect to find everything exactly like UK, but its not until you actually try and live a day to day life in some areas that you start to realise that actually the cute downtown area doesn't have anything you need and that to run a couple of errands you're going to spend an hour in the car (that would be a major excursion in UK!). There are still plenty of great things to enjoy though so we'll keep on soaking up the lifestyle and just figure it out piece by piece!
Good observation. One doesn't want to live right next to a shopping center, but having 90% of shopping needs within a stress-free 5-8 minute drive(even during rush hour), while being in a nice neighborhood has really added to our quality of life.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:00 PM

5 posts, read 15,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Have you considered moving into chicago itself? Like mentioned most cities, if you live right downtown will have walkable areas for most of the necessities, but i can't really think of any other cities outside of chicago itself where everything is pretty much right out the door and if it's not, easily assessable by public transportation.

I live in and love Aurora but I see all the single people and happening places are in Chicago. I'm really considering moving there. What do you think? A 28yr old single female, no kids, owner of an Errand Business. Good choice or not?

Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wehandlethat View Post
I live in and love Aurora but I see all the single people and happening places are in Chicago. I'm really considering moving there. What do you think? A 28yr old single female, no kids, owner of an Errand Business. Good choice or not?
Not to be mean, but I think you should have started a new thread.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:33 AM

146 posts, read 313,904 times
I'm European, so I know what the OP is looking for, but I don't think she'll find it anywhere in the US.

In comparison to the US, most towns and villages in Europe are small in population and land, therefore their primary commute is walking or bike riding to everything. No need for a car since everything you need ( doctor, theater, restaurants, stores, ... ) is a 20 - 40 min walk, no matter where you lived in town. Mega stores barely exist, and the citizens rely on the little mom and pop stores that have been there forever. Shopping for groceries once a week is mostly unheard off, since many love to walk daily to the market and pick up their dinner ingredients. Stopping at the coffee shops and park/playground on the way to the market is a daily thing for many. People are friendlier and love to stop and chat with the neighbors. The lifestyle is more laid back, and people are not consumed with accumulation of things.

The closest you can get to what you're looking for would be the city of Chicago, with it's own little neighborhoods: Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Edgewater, Ravenswood and Bucktown, which are most reasonable. Up until 8 years ago I lived in a condo in Ravenswood Manor, about a block away from Blagojevich's house. Parks, shops, restaurants, etc. were everywhere and easly excessible by foot. People seemed friendlier too. Than, I moved to the suburbs and what a difference. The car became my best friend.

Last edited by justnice; 09-16-2010 at 10:48 AM..

Old 09-16-2010, 11:45 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,749,627 times
This thread, along with a few other things, has prompted me to look into possibly moving back to the city. I forgot how much I loved it. Being confined to my house or places I can reach in my car has gotten old.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:04 PM

939 posts, read 2,380,826 times
I live in the ravinia neighborhood of Highland Park. It's very small, but it has most everything within walking distance (except large grocery and big box Target). Plenty of restaurants (american bistro, japanese, chinese take out, american bbq, italian) Walgreens, post office, a couple of hair salons, a convenience store, several dry cleaners, nail salon, ice cream shop and bakery. Other businesses are a violin workshop, pilates place, children's higher end clothing resale (and some new toys), and a knitting store. The grade school is a few blocks away and Ravinia Festival is also nearby (within walking distance). There is also a METRA train station. There are several parks within walking distance as well. The beach is also a short walk (ten to twenty minutes depending upon where you live). There are homes right now (not large) selling in the $400,000's.

My doctor used to be two blocks away, but the office moved to downtown Highland Park, which is less than a five minute car ride away.

People are out and about all of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs