Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:05 PM

5 posts, read 9,233 times

Advertisements

I'm really hoping a few people live in Matteson and are and are able to give me some insight on the area.

My fiance and I currently live in Bourbonnais where we both grew up. He has graduated college and now works in University Park. We're looking to buy our first house and we'd like to be closer to his job (he drives 40 minutes now which really isn't that bad). We've looked at homes in Monee and Crete but nothing interests us and Frankfort and Tinley are way out of our budget. Matteson has some beautiful foreclosed town houses that we'd really like to take advantage of. We've been to Matteson numerous times and don't mind the area but there's a huge stigma and there's a big difference between driving through/having dinner and actually living there. I also want to mention that I know it's a diverse area but I'm more concerned with the character of the people than the color of their skin.

Does anyone live in Matteson? What do you think of the area? What do you think of the school system (I know the statistics..I'm looking for more personal opinions), do you think Matteson is growing or continuing to go down the hill? etc etc.

Thank you so much!

BTW, the house we're most interested is in Old Matteson in Holden Park subdivision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 02:18 PM

829 posts, read 2,088,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowed View Post
I'm really hoping a few people live in Matteson and are and are able to give me some insight on the area.

My fiance and I currently live in Bourbonnais where we both grew up. He has graduated college and now works in University Park. We're looking to buy our first house and we'd like to be closer to his job (he drives 40 minutes now which really isn't that bad). We've looked at homes in Monee and Crete but nothing interests us and Frankfort and Tinley are way out of our budget. Matteson has some beautiful foreclosed town houses that we'd really like to take advantage of. We've been to Matteson numerous times and don't mind the area but there's a huge stigma and there's a big difference between driving through/having dinner and actually living there. I also want to mention that I know it's a diverse area but I'm more concerned with the character of the people than the color of their skin.

Does anyone live in Matteson? What do you think of the area? What do you think of the school system (I know the statistics..I'm looking for more personal opinions), do you think Matteson is growing or continuing to go down the hill? etc etc.

Thank you so much!

BTW, the house we're most interested is in Old Matteson in Holden Park subdivision.

Matteson and it's surrounding areas are way more urban in a suburban setting. The far south suburban area as a whole, is mixed income, racially diverse, and more of a mirroring demographic image of the southside of chicago as to the completely suburban setting that it used to be a couple of decades ago. Matteson is mostly soilid middle income black (77 percent) and white (21 percent). I live in neighboring olymipia fields and totally love what I find here. A completely suburban physical setting with an urban demographics. That is what matteson is and definately the direction more or less that matteson will continue to grow in. Population in matteson is up over 30 percent since 2000, so it is a fast growing area.

You mentioned frankfort and tinley park. The demographics in Frankfort and tinley park are nothing like matteson at all. A more affordable area to tinley park and frankfort with similar demographics would be oak forest or crestwood. Or homewood, I would say Homewood has a nice mix of both areas as far as demographics go. Homewood's demographically is a bit of matteson and a bit of tinley park/oak forest.

Last edited by allen2323; 02-04-2011 at 02:33 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,545 times
Me and my brothers were brought up there and still live there. If I had a choice I'd be out. On the surfice it looks okay but its becoming more trashy every year. Dont make the mistake my parents maid. Choose somewhere else to live.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:16 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jochoa View Post
Me and my brothers were brought up there and still live there. If I had a choice I'd be out. On the surfice it looks okay but its becoming more trashy every year. Dont make the mistake my parents maid. Choose somewhere else to live.
Straight out of the hard streets of Matteson, huh?

Just out of curiosity, how old are you? Did you go to Rich Central or Huth? I might know you, lol.

Regarding these comments, I've spent hours just walking around north side Park Forest and Old Matteson neighborhoods in the middle of the night with a friend of mine. And we're both white, BTW. And I'm talking just last fall before the weather got cold - not a time long ago in the past when it was apparently oh-so-much less "trashy". Nothing ever happens to us and we're not really afraid of anything.

Nearby is another subdivision called Beacon Hill. I would be afraid to walk around Beacon Hill in the middle of the night.

Last edited by urza216; 02-04-2011 at 03:33 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Straight out of the hard streets of Matteson, huh?

Nearby is another subdivision called Beacon Hill. I would be afraid to walk around Beacon Hill in the middle of the night.
Now Beacon hills in chicago heights is a fairly dicey part of town. But there are much ruffer parts of chicago heights than beacon hills east of halsted.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:44 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Matteson and it's surrounding areas are way more urban in a suburban setting. The far south suburban area as a whole, is mixed income, racially diverse, and more of a mirroring demographic image of the southside of chicago as to the completely suburban setting that it used to be a couple of decades ago. Matteson is mostly soilid middle income black (77 percent) and white (21 percent). I live in neighboring olymipia fields and totally love what I find here. A completely suburban physical setting with an urban demographics. That is what matteson is and definately the direction more or less that matteson will continue to grow in. Population in matteson is up over 30 percent since 2000, so it is a fast growing area.

You mentioned frankfort and tinley park. The demographics in Frankfort and tinley park are nothing like matteson at all. A more affordable area to tinley park and frankfort with similar demographics would be oak forest or crestwood. Or homewood, I would say Homewood has a nice mix of both areas as far as demographics go. Homewood's demographically is a bit of matteson and a bit of tinley park/oak forest.
Suburban physical setting with an urban demographic??? Your comment reminds me of an episode of the Office where Michael Scott makes reference to Stanley Hudson, the AA salesman about him being the "key to the offices "urban vibe"
Stanley: "Urban? I grew up in a small town what about me seems urban to you?"
He then goes to Phyllis and says: "And this is Phyllis kind of out Mrs. Butterworth. A less urban Aunt Jemima"

I'm not trying to sound condescending. But this whole urban = black, suburban = white, is something that became meaningless after 1980, and it was only limited to northern urban areas.

The south still has LOTs of AA in rural areas, and even northern urban AAs are generally only 2 generations removed from Mississippi.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Suburban physical setting with an urban demographic??? Your comment reminds me of an episode of the Office where Michael Scott makes reference to Stanley Hudson, the AA salesman about him being the "key to the offices "urban vibe"
Stanley: "Urban? I grew up in a small town what about me seems urban to you?"
He then goes to Phyllis and says: "And this is Phyllis kind of out Mrs. Butterworth. A less urban Aunt Jemima"

I'm not trying to sound condescending. But this whole urban = black, suburban = white, is something that became meaningless after 1980, and it was only limited to northern urban areas.

The south still has LOTs of AA in rural areas, and even northern urban AAs are generally only 2 generations removed from Mississippi.
I don't find your comment to be condescending at all. Your comment is very funny actually. I agree with you that demographically speaking, white=suburban and black=urban has been outdated since the 1980's or atleast the early 1990's. It's just flat out ignorant to still think that way in 2011. I did purposely use the words urban and suburban. Because unfortunately, this still is the mindset that alot of people still have. Some continue to act like 5 year olds when it comes to the matter of racial change in the far south suburbs. Instead of trying to look at things for how they currently are, and not how things used to be 3 decades ago. I am not saying you have to like the change, but atleast acknowledge that a demographic change has occured. IE, new residents now live there. And, how many of the newer residents who live in matteson today actually even care that Matteson was 99 percent white 3 decades ago? If you still want that old suburban matteson demographic feel then just continue driving west on lincoln hwy for another 10 minutes until you arrive in new lenox.

Last edited by allen2323; 02-05-2011 at 02:06 PM..

Old 02-05-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The people whove moved here from the city are rude, disrespectful and let there children run wild.

Urza: people don't walk the streets in the midddle of the nite in nice towns. Its punks taking over the neighborhood running the streets late into the nite is one of the reasons I said Matteson is getting more trashy. Those kids walk in the middle of the street just looking to get into something not respecting that the rest of the neighborhood is asleep. They dont care and there parents dont care. Old folks are scared of them.

I don't know if you've noticed this but there's not a whole lot to do nearby in Park Forest / Matteson late at night except hang around the house or walk around outside. Walking in the middle of the street is illegal actually and I fully understand how this can be annoying when someone takes a million years to walk back to the sidewalk. Teenagers walking in the middle of the road is a much bigger problem in Sauk Village than Matteson. And BTW, I'm in my twenties and am lucky enough to have a full time job.

Calling someone a punk is a bold move on your part. I gather from your City-Data postings that you're young and unemployed. Are you in school? Your spelling is abysmal and it's making Rich Central (the high school I'm assuming you went to) look bad.. Yes, you. Not teenagers walking in the middle of the road. Maybe it's time you stopped and realized that you're a product of your environment. If Matteson really is "trashy" well then, you know what they say: Garbage in, garbage out.

Last edited by urza216; 02-06-2011 at 12:12 AM..

Old 02-05-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
And, how many of the newer residents who live in matteson today actually even care that Matteson was 99 percent white 3 decades ago? If you still want that old suburban matteson demographic feel then just continue driving west on lincoln hwy for another 10 minutes until you arrive in new lenox.
And then if you go one town west on Lincoln Highway, you're in Joliet, a city with a population of over 100,000 people. There are plenty of black people living in Joliet. In the past 30 years, there's been a big increase in Joliet's Hispanic population but blacks and whites have been there for a very long time.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
The people whove moved here from the city are rude, disrespectful and let there children run wild.

Urza: people don't walk the streets in the midddle of the nite in nice towns. Its punks taking over the neighborhood running the streets late into the nite is one of the reasons I said Matteson is getting more trashy. Those kids walk in the middle of the street just looking to get into something not respecting that the rest of the neighborhood is asleep. They dont care and there parents dont care. Old folks are scared of them.

Excuse me , but kids walking the street in the middle of the night? This is the far southern suburbs, nothing to walk to or from that is close by in the middle of the night. Not saying younger teens like anywhere else don't walk maybe to the local walgreens, from a friends house, to and from school events in the evening. The only teens I ever see that are out in the middle of the night are driving cars, not walking. The pepes and the ihop is sometimes full with teens late friday night. None of them are walking to these places. They are all driving in there cars just like in any other suburb. It sounds to me like you have a problem with the demographics of kids themselves not what they are doing. And it's funny that you even mentioned that. Because in neighboring olympia fields I see WAY more older seniors and adult women walking around the neighborhood then I see kids on the street. Seniors walking around outnumber kids walking around by atleast 4 to 1.

Last edited by allen2323; 02-06-2011 at 09:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs