Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 07:15 PM

151 posts, read 413,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Mess View Post
Robbbins actually had an increase in white residents. Wonder what that town will be like in the future.
Uh yeah, that was almost as significant an increase as Beecher showed in black residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 08:55 PM

157 posts, read 403,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Well, it isn't white flight in homewood, flossmoor, and olympia fields. Or matteson, glenwood, and richton park for that matter. New black homebuyers in the area are just outpacing new white homebuyers. Homewood, flossmoor, and olympia fields are well beyond any kind of tipping point. That just is not going to happen because these areas are just too desirable. Flossmoor in fact, currently has more black residents than white residents and olympia fields has for the past decade. What will the ratio of white residents to black residents be in these areas say in 10 years? You would have to get information on what is the current ratio of white homebuyers to black homebuyers in the area.

The side of the picture that most on this forum seem to just brush over is that this area will continue to be highly desirable for middle class and upper income black homebuyers with or without white residents. I personally prefer to have the area with sizable populations of both black and white residents because I personally value diversity and quite frankly there isn't alot of black/white diversity in chicago's nicer suburbs.This area happens to be one of the few exceptions. Flossmoor and Olympia Fields for alot of upper income blacks is held in just as high regard and on the same level as say upper income white homebuyers highly regard hinsdale and oak brook. Very few areas have the same name affluence as flossmoor and olympia fields does among black homebuyers. Most of the new recent upscale home building in the flossmoor estates area has been black homebuyers. Although, the largest mansion built in the local area in the past year was in fact built by a white homebuyer in olympia fields. A sprawling gated prairie style mansion on western ave just past volmer rd.
If I had to venture a gues it would be that in 2020 Homewood and Flossmoor will only be about 25% white. True "equal" diversity in the south suburbs is just a flash in the pan - that one moment when the a town is 50% white and 50% black. After that the percentages will move farther and farther apart. Look at South Holland in 2000, 44% white/51% black and now in 2010, 18% white/74% black. Same trend is now happening just as fast in Lansing. There is one interesting side effect to this. Is is quite evident that in this area, most whites don't really prefer to live in towns where they are the minority. The problem for these changing towns is that while they may be maintaining the same social-economic class of residents, overall home values will deline. The homebuyers in the future of these communities will probably be something like 25% white and 75% black. Regardless of these prospective homebuyers incomes, the market for the homes has shrunk significantly since most many whites will no longer be among the market pool. While prices will level off eventually, there will be price decline beyond what the recession is creating in the meantime.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:16 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times
Quote:
Well, it isn't white flight in homewood, flossmoor, and olympia fields. Or matteson, glenwood, and richton park for that matter. New black homebuyers in the area are just outpacing new white homebuyers. Homewood, flossmoor, and olympia fields are well beyond any kind of tipping point. That just is not going to happen because these areas are just too desirable. Flossmoor in fact, currently has more black residents than white residents and olympia fields has for the past decade. What will the ratio of white residents to black residents be in these areas say in 10 years? You would have to get information on what is the current ratio of white homebuyers to black homebuyers in the area.

The side of the picture that most on this forum seem to just brush over is that this area will continue to be highly desirable for middle class and upper income black homebuyers with or without white residents. I personally prefer to have the area with sizable populations of both black and white residents because I personally value diversity and quite frankly there isn't alot of black/white diversity in chicago's nicer suburbs.This area happens to be one of the few exceptions. Flossmoor and Olympia Fields for alot of upper income blacks is held in just as high regard and on the same level as say upper income white homebuyers highly regard hinsdale and oak brook. Very few areas have the same name affluence as flossmoor and olympia fields does among black homebuyers. Most of the new recent upscale home building in the flossmoor estates area has been black homebuyers. Although, the largest mansion built in the local area in the past year was in fact built by a white homebuyer in olympia fields. A sprawling gated prairie style mansion on western ave just past volmer rd.
Flossmoor only increased by 1.7%. The reason it didn't see an overall population dip is mostly due to new black residents balanced out the obvious white decline. I'm going have to agree with Chuckity. When the Flossmoor's white population declined by twenty percentage points in 10 years, that is a sign of white flight. In Olympia Fields case, it was already majority black ten years ago. But even with OF, it went from being a community with a slight black majority to now touching 70% black. We can only hope that the white population won't dip even further than that and the area will maintain some black/white mixed presence. But if it does not, oh well. I'm at the point where achieving black/white integration is a nearly a lost cause in Chicagoland. Most importantly Flossmoor and Olympia Fields will maintain there status as upper middle class and educated communities. I'm think it will, because the blacks moving in are high earners.

On the flipside, North Chicago( Lake County) is one town that has a stablize(at least for now) white population, even with a signficant black community. The white population there only dipped from 39% to 36% white(2010). Ironically, it is the black population that saw the biggest dip(36% to 30%). NC Hispanic population went from 18% to 27% and Asians represent 3.7%. North Chicago is very unusual given that its a working class community. There arent that many(by Chicago standards) blacks in Lake County anyway, so I expect it to stable. Also its doesn't have that southside proxy that the south suburbs have.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 02-22-2011 at 10:34 PM..

Old 02-23-2011, 07:41 AM

829 posts, read 2,089,256 times
Taken directly from the census.gov website.

Olympia Fields 2009:

Median household income (in 2009 inflation-adjusted dollars): $90,298

Median family income (in 2009 inflation-adjusted dollars) $108,839

olympia field 2000:

Median household income in 1999 (dollars): $94,827

Median family income in 1999 (dollars): $100,121

flossmoor 2009:

Median household income (in 2009 inflation-adjusted dollars): $88,193

Median family income (in 2009 inflation-adjusted dollars): $107,214

Flossmoor 2000:

Median household income in 1999 (dollars): $94,222

Median family income in 1999 (dollars): $103,539

Last edited by allen2323; 02-23-2011 at 07:55 AM..

Old 02-23-2011, 08:01 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,921,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
However the south suburbs lost more white people. Homewood and Lansing went from being 76% and 82% white to 56.5% white and 52% white. Even in Flossmoor, whites make up less than half(45%) now compared to representing nearly two-thirds a decade ago. I knew it went down, but didn't expect it to go down by that much. That furthers explains why H-F high school is nearly 60% black.
It's really sad how white flight still occurs. I don't know about others, but it really hurts my feelings - like they feel I am too disgusting to live near.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Truth be told, I'm kind of shocked about the 2010 demographics in Homewood & Flossmoor as well.

It's not surprising that the towns are becoming more black & less white - it's how the south suburbs have trended for the last few decades. What IS surprising is that the speed of changing demographics hasn't really slowed in these two communities.
Exactly. I actually did not even notice how fast it was changing. Just...sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Mess View Post
Robbbins actually had an increase in white residents. Wonder what that town will be like in the future.
I hope for beautiful things in that town's future. Seriously, it's surrounded by good communities...easy to get to the city!

Old 02-23-2011, 10:55 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,438,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
It's really sad how white flight still occurs. I don't know about others, but it really hurts my feelings - like they feel I am too disgusting to live near.
You must be young - under 30 perhaps. Get a little older and you will get used to it. You will learn that in general, White people just do not like Black people.

Regardless of income, education level, socioeconomic class, it appears that most white people want nothing to do with black people.

They don't want to live with blacks, they don't want their kids to go to school with blacks, they don't socialize with blacks. A black family moves in, and like clockwork the white families move out - which makes no sense, because if they just stayed put there wouldn't be any kind of housing turnover.

It is really a shame.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Old 02-23-2011, 11:21 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,921,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
You must be young - under 30 perhaps. Get a little older and you will get used to it. You will learn that in general, White people just do not like Black people.

Regardless of income, education level, socioeconomic class, it appears that most white people want nothing to do with black people.

They don't want to live with blacks, they don't want their kids to go to school with blacks, they don't socialize with blacks. A black family moves in, and like clockwork the white families move out - which makes no sense, because if they just stayed put there wouldn't be any kind of housing turnover.

It is really a shame.

I would hate to say I am used to it...more like like I just try not to think about it and hope it goes away. I live in a great, safe community, and to see people give it up for some lily white suburb just puzzles me.

I don't understand why they just can't stay? The money they spend on a new house could be spent on updating or renovating their existing home, buying a new car, or WHATEVER.

It has nothing to do with age. It has to do with feelings. I will never get over knowing someone thinks I am less than when I am nothing other than cordial, welcoming and absolutely not a threat. I have no children, no pets right now...I mean, come on. I know the majority of my hometown is the same way, they just want to live. Why run for Orland or Tinley when you have no reason to?

Just because a black person moves in, does not mean you MUST move out if you are not black.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:02 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
I would hate to say I am used to it...more like like I just try not to think about it and hope it goes away. I live in a great, safe community, and to see people give it up for some lily white suburb just puzzles me.

I don't understand why they just can't stay? The money they spend on a new house could be spent on updating or renovating their existing home, buying a new car, or WHATEVER.

It has nothing to do with age. It has to do with feelings. I will never get over knowing someone thinks I am less than when I am nothing other than cordial, welcoming and absolutely not a threat. I have no children, no pets right now...I mean, come on. I know the majority of my hometown is the same way, they just want to live. Why run for Orland or Tinley when you have no reason to?

Just because a black person moves in, does not mean you MUST move out if you are not black.
Orland is southland capital in the retail and resturants department. So for me, that is a reason I would choose to live there. With this new project of an outlet mall maybe coming to Country Club Hills, it might put the village on the map and give people a reason to choose CCH.
Anywho,

I admit it does bother me slightly, but that is Chicago for you... the Bull Connor mentality without expressing it publically. On the surface, it looks like everyone gets along in the work environment, but at the end of the day we go back home to these monoracial neighborhoods. I for like this place to be like Northern California socially, but its the people here keeping this area back. I think black and white integration in this region is a lost cause at this point. Maybe the next generation will have a different mindset, but I doubt it. We(meaning black people) now dominate nearly an entire suburban region and what black people can do is just make the best of it. Its kind of crazy how the south suburbs(east of I-57 and over 20 suburbs) have turned majority black in only a few decades though. At least the Hispanic(primarily Mexican) population increased.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 02-24-2011 at 12:10 AM..

Old 02-24-2011, 12:18 AM

829 posts, read 2,089,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post

It is really a shame.

This is why it is so important for us to have our own nice majority black suburbs such as flossmoor, olympia fields, matteson, south holland, country club hills, richton park, etc. I am all for diversity, but it really does take two sides for diversity to work.

Last edited by allen2323; 02-24-2011 at 12:40 AM..

Old 02-24-2011, 02:56 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
People tend to flee from things they don't understand. When is the last time you had a block party with music and food and invited all the neighbtors? Maybe this is how you begin the dialogue?

Quote:
I am all for diversity, but it really does take two sides for diversity to work.

Last edited by linicx; 02-27-2011 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs