Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 01:04 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times

Advertisements

I'm on the apartment hunt again.

I apologize for this post, as I know I have seen this asked before but I can't find it at the moment.

Looking to rent a spacious, well-maintained 1 bedroom vintage apartment in Oak Park, most likely. Other then following Craigslist, where are the other places you look? Reader never has anything.

Also, for those looking to buy, what are the favorite sites people use? Just wanted to get a feeling for the current market.

thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 04:52 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
What is your budget?

Old 05-14-2011, 07:47 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
The Oak Park Regional Housing Center that specializes in helping new resiodents find a place to live has a new site. http://liveinoakpark.com/
Be sure to watch the pix and vids video . Also check out their Apartments.com on YouTube .
708-848-7150

Last edited by linicx; 05-14-2011 at 08:08 PM..

Old 05-15-2011, 12:45 AM

Be very careful with the Oak Park Housing Authority. Their major mission is to create diversity in Oak Park by putting whites in parts of Oak Park bordering Austin and blacks (not hispanics or asians) in more western parts of Oak Park.

2 years ago my mexican girlfriend and I (I am white) applied separately and were each shown listings for apartments, all east of ridgeland. We specifically told them to only show us listings west of ridgeland. I decided not to be part of their social experiment and instead found an apartment via craigs list in a safer part of Oak Park by the library (owner of this complex offered us a place in another building he personally lives in).

If you are willing to spend 1200 on a 1 bed apartment you have a number of great options available. Much less than 800 it will be tough or you will need to look over by Austin.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

My prior apt. in Chicago was $1450 in Streeterville with parking. I would like to pay less, $1100-1200 would be great. But if I found a really great apartment, I am flexible. Main goal is well-maintained vintage, easy access to 280, parking (outdoors, or covered is fantasy), spacious/big closets. AC is fantasy. I was thinking something in the Harrison st. Arts District might work. If not there, maybe on Washington or Oak Park avenue.

I remember from my childhood walking into a friend's beautiful apt. on Washington in Oak Park. Gorgeous hardwood, beautiful/interesting vintage touches, interesting room layouts, spacious. I'm sure I have a warped memory, but I am looking for something interesting in that sort of way.

I actually don't want one of the new construction condo type buildings. I think many of them look tacky, are poorly built, and not so interesting. Often the square footage actually isn't great, considering what they charge. Don't need a fancy new kitchen, gym in building etc..

I did go to the Oak Park Housing Center. Yes, of course they immediately wanted to offer me an apartment next to West Suburban Hospital near Austin. I know Oak Park well, and my parents still live there, so I knew I didn't want to live there. Of course, Humbolt I could almost hear you giggling in my ear when they offered the apartment. I will be leaving for work before dark, and returning before dark. Willing to live near Austin further South with the park as a buffer. I am pretty city savvy, but have had multiple unpleasant encounters/break-ins in my past. Would like to minimize, as I am living alone.

I did see some apartments in Harrison st. with Oak Park Housing center. What I realized is that the vintage one bedrooms can be found easily below my budget, but too small or just really poorly maintained. All the wood painted over sloppily, just so the landlord can advertise it as freshly painted, but looks bad. It's actually hard to find vintage apartments in my price range. One bedrooms are cheaper, but I really don't want a 2 bedroom.

I actually may not be able to find what I would like. It may not exist?

Old 05-15-2011, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the links linicx. Unfortunately, they don't list the apartments for you to peruse. I watched the video. The agent certainly didn't show me any apartments looking like those in the video! Sure, I'll take the one with the 2 toned paint and built ins...., although I still prefer exposed wood.

Maybe the type of apartment I'm looking for isn't found for rentals, maybe because tenants don't keep good enough care of them? Maybe it's only vintage apartments redone to sell as condos....

Humbolt, you don't perchance live in that interesting building just north of the library with all the gargoyles? They had ONE listing on craigslist about 1 year ago and it looked great, but I wasn't moving at the time. It only lasted one day...

Would still appreciate hearing about any other websites/resources people used for apt/condo searching.

Last edited by sfcambridge; 05-15-2011 at 11:29 AM..

Old 05-15-2011, 12:53 PM

You should look on Oak Park avenue just north of ernest hemingway museum. Lots of vintage nice sized units. There is permit parking on the street or you can get a spot in the city garage two blocks south. There are vintage units just north of the library as well.

For 1200 you should have no problem finding a really nice vintage unit in a great area.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:32 PM

That is an interesting area. I will keep it in mind. But it is rare to see 1 bedrooms in those listed on Craig's list. 2 bedrooms more often (one on Craig's list right now). So I wonder whether apartments are being posted in other places since I just don't see them pop up. Maybe I need to see a realtor? But that seemed so outdated to me.

I forgot to mention that parking is essential. I typed wrong before, but I leave and return from work most days in the dark. And I can't trust on street parking when my work hours are so bad. That could be limiting too.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:49 AM

214 posts, read 546,167 times
Try the Oak Leaf Newspaper, which is owned by pioneer press. they have a lot of classified listings.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:06 PM

14 posts, read 23,428 times
Default Best neighborhoods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Be very careful with the Oak Park Housing Authority. Their major mission is to create diversity in Oak Park by putting whites in parts of Oak Park bordering Austin and blacks (not hispanics or asians) in more western parts of Oak Park.

2 years ago my mexican girlfriend and I (I am white) applied separately and were each shown listings for apartments, all east of ridgeland. We specifically told them to only show us listings west of ridgeland. I decided not to be part of their social experiment and instead found an apartment via craigs list in a safer part of Oak Park by the library (owner of this complex offered us a place in another building he personally lives in).

If you are willing to spend 1200 on a 1 bed apartment you have a number of great options available. Much less than 800 it will be tough or you will need to look over by Austin.
Humboldt1, what is the difference (in terms of culture, safety, economics, etc.) between east of Ridgeland and west of Ridgeland? We'll initially rent a place when we move there in August, and I have no idea about the bests neighborhoods in Oak Park. I've only visited there for one day. I've heard people say not to move close to Austin St., but that's all I know. I'm an artsy, well-educated person, and I'd like to find a neighborhood where there are others that enjoy cafes, shopping, and the arts. But since I have a first-grader, I'd also like to find a neighborhood with lots of kids and a good park. Would that be asking too much to find that combination of neighborhood qualities? Where should I look for ads for those areas? That social experiment you spoke of sounds awful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: