Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:10 AM

6 posts, read 11,252 times

Advertisements

Hi, This is purely a theoretical question since I do not have a job lined up in the Chicago area but if I were to get into the area it would be in Elgin. I am thinking of this as pre planning sort of.

If I were to work in Elgin, what are some of the best family friendly suburbs in the area within a reasonable commute? I am looking for middle class, but not snobby, good schools, single family house for about 380000 to 400000 dollars but also am thinking about distance to the city since my wife would have to look for a job and I am not sure I would want her to limit her search if we live all the way west in Elgin. Good for me but may be bad for her.

I read this forum and saw Niles. Seems a little too far. Glen Ellyn maybe? Or just live all the way out in St. Charles and Geneva? The property taxes on new houses there are absurd. Im from Long Island originally and even 14000 a year makes me cringe for property taxes.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 10:19 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald8h View Post
Hi, This is purely a theoretical question since I do not have a job lined up in the Chicago area but if I were to get into the area it would be in Elgin. I am thinking of this as pre planning sort of.

If I were to work in Elgin, what are some of the best family friendly suburbs in the area within a reasonable commute? I am looking for middle class, but not snobby, good schools, single family house for about 380000 to 400000 dollars but also am thinking about distance to the city since my wife would have to look for a job and I am not sure I would want her to limit her search if we live all the way west in Elgin. Good for me but may be bad for her.

I read this forum and saw Niles. Seems a little too far. Glen Ellyn maybe? Or just live all the way out in St. Charles and Geneva? The property taxes on new houses there are absurd. Im from Long Island originally and even 14000 a year makes me cringe for property taxes.

Thanks for the help.
Live in Chicago, it's a lot more interesting.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:15 AM

6 posts, read 11,252 times
Lol, how much of a nightmare would that commute be? I did some research of family friendly middle class neigborhoods in Chicago area and found Niles, but even that commute sounds long.

The metra station in elgin would be a 20 minute bike to the place. Dont plan on biking. lol

Old 06-06-2011, 11:55 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
I think anyone that reflexively insists on only living in a part of a region that comes with a 606xx zip code is not helpful.

It would be foolish to live in Chicago and endure a horrendous commute to Elgin, confounding schools, mixed up priorites for taxes and public safety all to be closer to the power mad Mayor.

In fact, given that this is the suburban forum, a sub forum for folks who presumably understand that the region is big enough to warrant geographic specificity, it is good to the see the OP already knows that being way out in the Fox Valley or using a close-in alternative like Niles probably is not going to give a two income family a lot of options.

My suggestion would be look at someplace like Barrington. While the majority of newer homes in that area are quite large and over the price point the OP has in mind, there are many homes that are bit older and a good value. Looking around in other 'burbs that would offer a nice combination of access to expressways and other option I would have towns like Ek Grove Village, Schaumburg, Palatine and Arlignton Heights in mind. The "theoretical" nature of the inquiry really means that a true "ranking" is a little hard, but maybe if you had more info about what kind of skills your spouse has the odds of being close to those opportunities might be useful -- lots of pharma companies in Lake Co or instance. There are many good sized hospitals through out the region, folks with skills in such areas can often find a nice work situation close by. Region has LOTS of retail banking, though most of the higher-up jobs are concentrated in the Loop -- most towns with Metra service would be good choice for that. Similarly legal firms are densely packed near public transit. Lots of marketing firms too.

Rather than just looking to be "midway" between Elgin and whenever spouse might find work I recommend planning full commute, as with excellent commuter rail service that can really make for pleasant commute to office tower in the Loop. Won't work as well for other employment centers in the region...

Old 06-06-2011, 11:57 AM

I think Chet has an answer for everything.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:07 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
Chet made an excellent point about various professions clustering in certain areas, there are several mortgage lenders (my occupation) in Downers Grove and Lisle. Schaumburg, AH, etc are great suggestions as they are close to expressways that go east - west and north - south. I love Geneva, but depending on what your wife does, that could really limit where she works. Roselle, Itasca and Medinah might also work.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:17 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,490 times
Hoffman Estates, Schaumburg, Palatine, Inverness, just to name a few.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:28 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I think Chet has an answer for everything.
Yes! It was a *ell of a lot more helpful than your response
Oh, and if you despise the suburbs so much, then why not just stay off the forum??

Old 06-06-2011, 01:39 PM

Just as helpful as yours it seems.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:56 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
As my Momma always said, "If you don't have anything useful or beneficial to say; don't say anything at all." I wish you would sometimes abide by that useful "old school" advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs