Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 5,052 times

Advertisements

hello, My husband has been offered a job in the Chicago area, he'll be working all over but the home office is in Hammond In. I need as nice suburb with low crime, and affordable living between Hammond and Chicago. We have two kids and I am working on a nursing degree so being near a college would be a plus. Any help would be great. I grew up in MI but never ventured into Illinois and Indiana that much. Right now I'm in Houston and it's nearly impossible to get a read on areas online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 02:50 PM

247 posts, read 688,612 times
There's not really much "between" Hammond and Chicago besides Calumet City. Some nicer areas nearby in Indiana would be Munster, Dyer, St. John...all are south of Hammond, but not too far from Chicago. They are also near Purdue University's Calumet Campus. www.purduecal.edu

Nicer areas in Illinois would be Homewood, Flossmoor, Olympia Fields...close to Prairie State College in Chicago Heights Prairie State College - student-centered instruction in adult, transfer, & workforce education, South Suburban College in South Holland South Suburban College, and Governor's State University in University Park. Governors State University

Another option would be living in Hammond itself. I know Hammond gets a bad rap, but there are some decent neighborhoods there. One of the perks of living in Hammond is that the city will pay for its residents to attend college. It's called the College Bound Scholarship program... City of Hammond - College Bound Scholarship Program | Welcome I used to teach with someone whose two sons benefited from this program, and she and her husband still live in Hammond.

Last edited by supportyourschools; 04-18-2012 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 04-18-2012, 05:59 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,064,807 times
Hammond and Chicago border one another. Although Calumet City to the west also touches Chicago. I guess you could say Whiting, Indiana is also between Hammond and Chicago.. Burnham, maybe.

Or were you actually asking about living further out?

Old 04-18-2012, 08:38 PM

161 posts, read 211,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smetcalf11 View Post
hello, My husband has been offered a job in the Chicago area, he'll be working all over but the home office is in Hammond In. I need as nice suburb with low crime, and affordable living between Hammond and Chicago. We have two kids and I am working on a nursing degree so being near a college would be a plus. Any help would be great. I grew up in MI but never ventured into Illinois and Indiana that much. Right now I'm in Houston and it's nearly impossible to get a read on areas online.
Some nice cities within a reasonable commute from Hammond are:

Munster, IN

Orland Park, IL, Tinley Park, IL, Oak Forest, IL, Palos Heights

There is Valparaiso University in Valparaiso, IN.

Supportyourschools had some good ideas.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:19 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smetcalf11 View Post
Do you know where your husband will be driving to in the Chicago area and how often?

Will he be required to be in the Hammond location everyday and go to his locations in the field?

Hammond and Chicago are in very close proximity.
Most suburbs have been covered that are nearby Hammond and near the south side of chicago. Dolton, Cal City, South Holland and on the Indiana side Whiting, IN

In between Hammond and Chicago your really getting into the actual neighborhoods of the South side.

You would probably get better answers if you could key in a few of the spots he would be required to travel for his job.

You may want to investigate a more central location.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:20 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Technically speaking there are no suburbs between Hammond and Chicago -- they border each other.

If you want nice suburbs near Hammond I recommend Munster or Dyer.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:48 PM

41 posts, read 87,412 times
West of Hammond you would probably want to stay west of Pulaski ( sometimes called Crawford that far south) unless you go farther south to Flossmoor or Homewood. But other than that there is really no suburbs because they border, as said above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs