Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 09:31 AM

624 posts, read 1,072,084 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

What can you tell me about Lake Zurich for a small (2 kids) family?

I like to have some proximity to a park. We like to travel to Chicago downtown but that is done infrequently.

We are presently in North Riverside and are considering the move for several reasons:

1. I work near Northbrook
2. Our house is presently 2BR,2BA, I'd like to have 3BR minimum.
3. It feels like the area is changing for the worse. In July of this year there was a shooting not too far from where we live. There is one family on my block that has very frequent police visits. Though I understand these issues can happen anywhere, (the shooting was gang related with thugs visiting from nearby areas), the July incident left a sour feeling about the area which is hard to shake away.

Though, frankly, since July our neighbors polled together, we are more involved with the police, etc... so I don't feel in any danger living where we live now.

However, the above information was given to provide some background info for the move.

Those of you who know both areas (Lake Zurich and North Riverside) what do you think we'll be missing if we do move to Lake Zurich?

Honestly, our only reasons for being where we are now, is that we have immigrated to Chicago in the 1990's and our etnic church has remained in Berwyn, IL since 1980s. Therefore, some in our congregation settled in the surrounding area (inlcuding us). Some of our church members moved away over the years, mostly to the western suburbs, such as Wheaton, Lombard, Elmhurst, though some as far as Naperville, Aurora and Plainfield.

Those other areas don't work for me due to my job location.

Your thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks.
PS. I need to have good schools and about 300K house for 3-4BR, 2BA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 10:13 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
What can you tell me about Lake Zurich for a small (2 kids) family?
According to Wikipedia,
Quote:
In 2006, Lake Zurich was named by Frommer's as one of the top hundred "Best Places to Raise Your Family" and by U.S. News as one of the "Top Twenty-five Affordable Places to Live in the Country".
Good schools.

Quote:
1. I work near Northbrook
2. Our house is presently 2BR,2BA, I'd like to have 3BR minimum.
3. It feels like the area is changing for the worse. In July of this year there was a shooting not too far from where we live. There is one family on my block that has very frequent police visits. Though I understand these issues can happen anywhere, (the shooting was gang related with thugs visiting from nearby areas), the July incident left a sour feeling about the area which is hard to shake away.
1. I wouldn't want to make that commute. There's no fast or easy way to get there.
2. That shouldn't be a problem.
3. AFAIK that kind of thing isn't common.

Quote:
Those of you who know both areas (Lake Zurich and North Riverside) what do you think we'll be missing if we do move to Lake Zurich?
Much farther from the city, but if you're not commuting downtown on a regular basis, it's not that big of a deal.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:19 PM

thanks for the feedback. Google map shows that the commute between Northbrook and Lake Zurich should take about 30 mins. Is this accurate? If so, that's going to make my commute home about 50% faster. I'm an early riser, so North Riverside to Northbrook takes me about 35-40 mins, but about 1 hour back due to increased traffic.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:31 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
thanks for the feedback. Google map shows that the commute between Northbrook and Lake Zurich should take about 30 mins. Is this accurate? If so, that's going to make my commute home about 50% faster. I'm an early riser, so North Riverside to Northbrook takes me about 35-40 mins, but about 1 hour back due to increased traffic.
I don't think Google maps is accurate. More like 45 minutes minimum.
The other night it took me 20 minutes to travel from Buffalo Grove Rd. to Kruger Rd on Il Rte 22. This is a 3 mile stretch!

Why Lake Zurich, why so far?
There are other good choices much closer to Northbrook and your church in Berwyn.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I don't think Google maps is accurate. More like 45 minutes minimum.
The other night it took me 20 minutes to travel from Buffalo Grove Rd. to Kruger Rd on Il Rte 22. This is a 3 mile stretch!

Why Lake Zurich, why so far?
There are other good choices much closer to Northbrook and your church in Berwyn.
What areas would you recommend?

My limit is 350K for 3BR, 2BA house. Schools need to be 9 minimum on greatschools.org

Thanks

Old 09-14-2011, 02:16 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
I don't put much stock into greatschools.org
Then again, I have the advantage of living in the N and NW burbs almost my entire life.
Mt. Prospect that attends elementary district 57 or 26, Wheeling that attends D23, Glenview(preferably Glenbrook HS instead of Maine East-although Maine East is decent), Northbrook, Northfield, Deerfield (although $350K is more difficult in Glenview, Northbrook, Northfield and Deerfield) possibly Morton Grove that goes to Parkview or Golf schools. If you are close to Euclid, Central or Palatine Rd in eastern Arlington Heights, you can be within 30 minutes of work. Elem. District 25 or 23 in AH..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs