Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 18,046 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to chicago shortly due to new job from Wisconsin. My job will be in downtown and my wife will be working in deerfield. We are thinking of buying house and our budget is 350000. Things top of our mind are safe neighbourhood, good school and good shopping places around. I have read lot of threads on forum and 2 areas i have shortlisted are area above schaumburg like huntley or algonquin....the other option is lake zurich or fox groove side....Some of you who are living in these areas can help us in furthure shortlisting to single area ...Any advice , views will be highly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 11:02 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Lake Zurich has good schools,old neighborhoods are nice around the lake,and many sub divisions,lots of shopping,and would not be too bad a commute to Deerfield.The commute downtowon would be by train I assume.FoX River Grove has a station,LZ uses Barringtons or FRG.FRG is small,older neighborhoods and new sub divisions,nice parks on the river(great sled hill),not much there for shopping but you are surrounded by it in all the nearby communities.The older part of Algonquin is nice,quaint,river front,but they filled in the hilly area surrounding it with cookie cutter tree less subdivions(again,no Metra station so your commute would be rush hour mayhem,or park and ride at a nearby town.).Lots of shopping and ok schools.I dont care for once rural Huntley IMHO.Its just one big strip mall/sub-division now,but many are moving there so something is a draw.Inexpensive housing perhaps.I would not want to commute to Deerfield from there every day.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:15 AM

92 posts, read 445,826 times
I think Algonquin would be a good area for what you are looking for (schools, etc) but I thought I'd mention the long commute. I live right on the edge of Carpentersville/Algonquin, and I used to commute to Northbrook (next to Deerfield). My commute was at least an hour (sometimes even an hour & 15 min) during the normal rush hour times. I tried all different routes, and the best I could find was one that only took an hour. Just something to consider...

Old 09-03-2007, 07:13 PM

thanks for your input...what about palatine and dundee....

Old 09-03-2007, 08:41 PM

Palatine has a nice downtown,some beautiful historic homes,nice 'hoods,very good schools,close to plenty of shopping.Also,Metra train for the downtown commute.Dundee is a charming,old river town,lovely old homes and neighborhoods,alot of growth in the form of new subdivisions and shopping outside of the immediete village.I have heard "iffy" things about the high schoo(maybe someone has a different view on this) and no train to the city.I would mapquest your wifes job location in Deerfield to these areas you are choosing if you havent already.Long,winter commutes by car in rush hour would make for one wicked woman

Old 09-04-2007, 08:54 AM

61 posts, read 301,273 times
I would be careful of schools in Palatine and especially Dundee, just from reports I have read and things I have heard they don't seem to be the best. But I don't have direct experience in those districts so check around.

You may want to check a little north of Algonquin area and take a look around Cary & Crystal Lake. But you would still have 45-1hr commute to Deerfield from Cary. But there are good schools, safe area and along the Metra rail for getting into the city.

If you need to commute downtown, try to stay near public transportation lines - any driving commutes downtown to Chicago will make you crazy in time (from the burbs). And it's just more economical - there are some nice areas in your price range along the Metra lines.

Good luck!

Old 09-04-2007, 10:50 AM

Most of the schools in Palatine are very good.There are a few pocket areas with section 8 housing and a large hispanic group,but most of the towns areas/schools are very good .We have several friends that put their kids thru the schools,including Fremd High,and give them high marks.Dundee borders Carpenterville,which has had gang disturbances,and a large illegal hispanic population recently causing a lot of noise in the local govt( this seems to happen often now adays in many of the burbs).I beleive parts of C'ville go to Dundee schools.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:03 PM

thanks for all ur views...it is lake zurich most probably for us however couple of last minute questions...
a) is cary equal to lake zurich in terms of good and safe neighbourhood...i saw prices down over there
b) how is lake in the hill ....

Old 09-05-2007, 09:39 PM

41 posts, read 409,467 times
I have friends who live in Cary. Its very safe area plus great schools. Please keep in mind that Cary is much farther to Hwys than Lake Zurich thats why prices are lower.

If you need any other details, please reach out to me directly.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:42 AM

Cary is a nice town,good schools with a metra train to the city and off of Rts 14 and 31, major thru streets.Its neighbored by Crystal Lake on one side, which has every store and chain you can imagine and Barrington on the other,an affluent burb.No crime anywhere around to speak of or be concerned about.You would, again,have to mapquest your wifes job in Deerfield to check on her commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs