Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:19 PM

59 posts, read 308,438 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody-

I'm relocating next week for an exciting job opportunity (promotion) housed in Naperville. I'll be living in Lisle. My Dad's side of the family is from the La Grange Park/Western Springs area, so I'm fairly familiar with the area, however not quite as far west as where I'll be. Are the demographs about the same? Younger? Older? White collar?

What is the fit for a 25 year old guy living in the western Chicago / DuPage county burbs? Should I plan on a lot of trips to the city?

I know where I'll be living and whatnot already, I am simply curious about the general consensus of Lisle- I know it's not a Hinsdale or Burr Ridge, but wondering what other "comparables" in the area would be.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 08:36 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
There are a lot of young folks in the Lisle Naperville area. If you read some posts on this board many will convince you that they all have gone to the city. Not true. While I think you will want to spend some time in the city, there are many fun places in downtown Naperville as well as surrounding suburbs. There are also health clubs such as Lifetime or LA Fitness where you will see people your age. Also head over to the area called Cantera, there is a movie theatre there and a ton of restaurants to go to. Buffalo wild wings is a sports bar there. You can also visit many outdoor areas for hiking and biking such as the prarie path, Blackwell, Herrick Lake or others near by and lets not forget Morton Arboreteum. Also if you drive east on Butterfield road towards Oakbrook, there are tons of restarants, bars, etc. Ogden Ave itself also has a fair share of restaurants but its not as nice.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:01 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Naperville has grown the last 30 years, to the point that I am sure you will find about anything you want. It's been a long time since I lived at Four Lakes Village in Lisle. Those were the best single time of my life. There was so much social life there in the old days that we did not need to go anywhere else. I have heard it's still somewhat like that even today.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:09 PM

59 posts, read 308,438 times
So, a little update.

3 weeks in, and I'm second-guessing myself. I think I should have moved to the city.

I'm finding that it seems hard to meet people, and there isn't really a whole lot to do around here for someone like me - I don't like the idea of "going out" in the suburbs, and I don't know how I feel about the Naperville community. It seems very "Stepford Wives"... Cold and standoffish, and most people consider me to be a yuppie...

So, I don't know what to do. It's nice that I live within a two minute walk to the BNSF Metra, however, it's still a lengthy train ride, and I'm having serious second thoughts.

Is this somewhere that 20-somethings actually come? Did I have some sort of tunnel vision when I moved here? ... Just trying to get some insight from others who may understand the area more.

I became very depressed being back here after hanging out in Lakeview all weekend...

Old 04-18-2012, 09:25 AM

438 posts, read 1,699,587 times
You should definitely move to the city first chance you get.....it's not going to get any better..honestly. Save the suburbs for if/when you have kids or are married.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Anywhere you go it takes a while to meet people and make friends. Anybody who instantly wants to be your friend probably has issues. Look for meetups for things that interest you.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:04 AM

382 posts, read 825,065 times
It takes time when you first move somewhere, but Naperville does have a lot of people in their 20's and some of the best night life in the burbs. What are your hobbies and interests? Try joining some clubs based on those. For example there are tons of adult softball leagues, running clubs, cycling clubs, etc that are a great place to meet other singles. If I were you, I'd go to www.meetup.com and do a search based on your interests.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:49 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T. View Post
I became very depressed being back here after hanging out in Lakeview all weekend...
Break your lease and move then. One area is not meant for everyone. Do you have friends in Lakeview, if so, move there.

I remember how lonely I felt when I first moved to L.A., with the millions of people and things to do...I just didn't know any of the people. I also thought everyone was fake when i first moved there, but then after a while I realized I misjudged the area and normal people live everywhere, I just needed to find them.

I remember spending a weekend with friends and coming home sad, because I wasn't happy where I lived. I ended up making new friends, though, but it took a bit of barging in to new groups of people, in a way I wasn't comfortable with prior to that.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:07 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner0325 View Post
You should definitely move to the city first chance you get.....it's not going to get any better..honestly. Save the suburbs for if/when you have kids or are married.
No, you are giving up way too early . I speak from experience , lived 14 Years in lisle, next door to Naperville, at Four Lakes Village, and I had a very active social life......being single in the right place in the burbs can be quite rewarding.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:50 PM
rfp

333 posts, read 690,380 times
Well, there is that "Hooters-type" sports bar directly across the street from the railroad station in Lisle with the very foxy waitresses. But generally Lisle is rather dullsville. Your best bet is downtown Naperville, just a few miles away.

I live in Lisle (across the street from the arboretum) because the property taxes are the lowest in the western suburbs due to the number of large corporations based there. It is also one of the few suburbs in the Chicago area without a vehicle tax for the same reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs