Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 10:22 PM

4 posts, read 17,965 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I need to make a decision soon whether or not I should commute or rent an apartment closer to where I need to be. I am currently living out in the north suburbs (Lake County) and I need to make a daily commute to Downers Grove, IL. I would need to take 294 South, and then briefly on I-88 West. Does anyone know what traffic is like during those specific routes? Are the highways clear in the mornings? How about winter? Some days I will commute starting between 6:45-7AM and other days I would commute between 7:45-8:15AM.
Can anyone give me advice on this situation?
Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 10:01 AM

110 posts, read 278,011 times
My wife commutes everyday from Hinsdale to Deerfield, which is the reverse commute from you. 88-W is not bad (especially in the morning). Your problem will come on 294 for the both the morning and evening commute. It can get backed up around the O'Hare (190) interchange. Although because you're doing a reverse commute, it's not that bad. Also, since the tolls went up in January, traffic times have decreased (although it may be just a coincidence). Depending on where you are in Lake County, you can probably expect between a 35 and 50 minute commute.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:04 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
I would not go I294. In fact I once commuted from Lake County to Downers Grove and found 53/I355 very good. Apparently you live closer to 94, but I suggest it is worth going west on Lake Cook to 53 rather than 294 to 88. 294 has a lot of airport traffic.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:53 PM

382 posts, read 825,214 times
I commute that way every single morning, but going from Downers Grove to O'Hare. It is all free and clear for me, with absolutely no traffic. I leave at 8:30 a.m. If I leave before that, there some traffic but much better than the other highways. I would stay away from 355 at all costs---it is ALWAYS backed up around Downers Grove.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:23 PM

935 posts, read 3,448,226 times
6:45am should be a breeze, but by 7:15, you are really getting into rush hour, especially on a 50 minute commute.

I drive from Wheaton (home) to Lincolnshire (work) every day on 355. I tried 294 but traffic was much worse and less dependable travel times than 355. Still, when I'm heading two and from work, I see the reverse commute not looking so hot some days. I've seen traffic very backed up in the afternoons between Dundee and Lake Cook and in the mornings around Woodfield.

Overall thought, I still think it might be better than going 294 depending on where you are situated.

Do you have an Android phone? I use free Google Navigator Live Traffic view to get my commute times and find the fastest route. You can also get a moderately accurate picture by using Google Maps live traffic history. Also, construction is still planned for 294 this summer and I believe that 355/53 is completely done for this year at least. We had a big construction mess 2 summers ago.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:16 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
The times I have driven south on 294 during morning rush from Willow it is clear and smooth unless there's an accident. Same with I-88 west from I-355. You are going opposite of the heavier traffic flow.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:32 PM

935 posts, read 3,448,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
The times I have driven south on 294 during morning rush from Willow it is clear and smooth unless there's an accident. Same with I-88 west from I-355. You are going opposite of the heavier traffic flow.
Good point. I definitely drive north in the morning and 294 is not fun at the 290 interchange and often up around i90 as well. And my GPS always tells me that there is no traffic on 294 when I start my drive--sort of like when Uncle Herb asks you to pull his finger. I haven't driven that way enough to get a good idea of the reverse commute--probably because I'm too busy swearing at the traffic on my side of the road and lamenting my unfortunate choice of route.

There are times I am driving north on 355/290 toward Schaumburg in the morning and felt badly for the folks driving south. So pehaps 294 is the better bet. Truth is, it always takes a bit of trial and error, I think, to find the best route. From the OP's starting location 294 sounds like it will be the shortest distance.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:25 AM

4 posts, read 17,965 times
Thanks for all your replies! reps
If it matters, I would be commuting from Highland Park. and so 294 South would be the closest highway for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
That's what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
6:45am should be a breeze, but by 7:15, you are really getting into rush hour, especially on a 50 minute commute.

I drive from Wheaton (home) to Lincolnshire (work) every day on 355. I tried 294 but traffic was much worse and less dependable travel times than 355. Still, when I'm heading two and from work, I see the reverse commute not looking so hot some days. I've seen traffic very backed up in the afternoons between Dundee and Lake Cook and in the mornings around Woodfield.

Overall thought, I still think it might be better than going 294 depending on where you are situated.

Do you have an Android phone? I use free Google Navigator Live Traffic view to get my commute times and find the fastest route. You can also get a moderately accurate picture by using Google Maps live traffic history. Also, construction is still planned for 294 this summer and I believe that 355/53 is completely done for this year at least. We had a big construction mess 2 summers ago.
Yeah 355 is far from where I live so I don't think I will take that route. And I have an iphone, I will be sure to check out that app thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs