Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 04:14 PM

470 posts, read 1,074,130 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at the Fox Lake area, as I think that would be an okay commute for hubby into Chicago.

What other areas should I look into? (We're in So Cal and I've never been to IL except 2 small visits to Naperville.)

We'd want to be on the water, and ideally want to spend around $300K ... but up to $400K.

We don't have 2-legged kids, so school districts aren't an issue.

We do not mind rural, although walking into a little town wouldn't be bad either.

Thanks bunches!! Jules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 05:43 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Fox Lake sounds about perfect. Reasonably priced, and is the terminal of the Milwaukee North line. Schools weak, but since you have no children, not a concern.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:00 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Fox Lake sounds about perfect. Reasonably priced, and is the terminal of the Milwaukee North line. Schools weak, but since you have no children, not a concern.
For commuting into Chicago? That'll be a long day for him.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:35 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Lake in the Hills, for instance, that borders Algonquin, is 45 miles NW of Chicago. This is at least 90 minutes in good weather. Hubby isn't going to like spending 4-5 hours on a train every day -- IF there is even a connection into the loop. Chicago is a BIG place. If he is not working downtown/Loop area the work location is another set of problems to consider.

Waterfront on Lake Michigan is not the same as the beach at Malibu or Venice on the worst day. This Great Lake does not have a 700 miles of shoreline in Cook County. And like all inland waters in Illinois when conditions are right river banks overflow and cities floods. So does Chicago.

It is one thing to have a great lake view and quite another to own it. Most people don't appreciate this statement until they've cleaned up 100 feet of shoreline after the first flood.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:42 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,420,366 times
If your husband is ok with a long train commute, that budget can certainly get you a very nice place in Fox Lake. The Chain Of Lake area is certainly quite an attraction in the summer for those into water recreation, boating, etc.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:28 AM

Thanks everybody!! We don't know yet where the downtown office will be ... we're waiting on the call that they want him to fly him in for a face-to-face.

We currently live East of LA so he is used to commuting. But, out here he has to drive everywhere ... and the idea of being able to take the train is very exciting for him. He can work while riding, versus being stuck behind the wheel of the car.

linicx ... I wasn't talking about living on Lake Michigan, but on another small body of water inland ... such as the Fox Lake area.

pvande55 ... I hope this isn't a stoopid question ... what is "the terminal of the Milwaukee North line" ... is that the train?

Thanks bunches everybody!!! Jules

Old 07-28-2012, 11:24 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,438,247 times
Get on the train at 6:30am, be downtown by 8:00am.
Coming home, be on the train about 5:30pm, be at Fox Lake by 7:00pm.
It's basically an 11 hour day. Will hubby be able to work out once he gets home? Don't want to endanger his health. What about preparing dinner? Household chores?

It's not the worst commute in the world. Although I don't know about this "he can work on the train" thing. What kind of work does he do that can be done on the train? I would be more likely to fall back asleep in the morning, maybe could do some work in the evening commute. But phone calls are tough because it's noisy. Doing any real work on the computer might be tough because of the shaking... Reading is fine, of course... And beer.

Get familiar with the Metra website - http://metrarail.com/ - and look at the schedules for the Milwaukee District North line. Fox Lake to Union Station.

If hubby's job isn't walking distance to Union Station, then this plan might fall apart. Keep that in mind!

Last edited by linicx; 07-28-2012 at 11:48 AM..

Old 07-28-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Get on the train at 6:30am, be downtown by 8:00am.
Coming home, be on the train about 5:30pm, be at Fox Lake by 7:00pm.
It's basically an 11 hour day. Will hubby be able to work out once he gets home? Don't want to endanger his health. What about preparing dinner? Household chores?

It's not the worst commute in the world. Although I don't know about this "he can work on the train" thing. What kind of work does he do that can be done on the train? I would be more likely to fall back asleep in the morning, maybe could do some work in the evening commute. But phone calls are tough because it's noisy. Doing any real work on the computer might be tough because of the shaking... Reading is fine, of course... And beer.

Get familiar with the Metra website - domain disabled - and look at the schedules for the Milwaukee District North line. Fox Lake to Union Station.

If hubby's job isn't walking distance to Union Station, then this plan might fall apart. Keep that in mind!
Great information JacksonPanther!! And yes, you are right about the office being near Union Station. Since we don't know that yet, I know I am putting the cart before the horse.

We are from Louisville KY and moved out to So Cal 8 years ago. Hubby was recruited out here and it has been a great ride ... but we are both so ready to move back closer to the family and grandkids!!! So, needless to say, we're both very excited about the idea of being just a car ride away from family!! Close, but still far enough away. ROFL

Hubby works via computer, Crackberry, etc. He currently is up at 5:00 a.m. and sometimes doesn't finish working until 9:00 pm. So, he is used to that sort of schedule. Chores? My job. Cooking? It's just the two of us, and we wing it. LOL

So ... if everybody could cross your paws, your eyes, whatever ... and hope he gets the call! We are ready for the move and change!!!!

Old 07-28-2012, 03:27 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekkidFish View Post
Thanks everybody!! We don't know yet where the downtown office will be ... we're waiting on the call that they want him to fly him in for a face-to-face.

We currently live East of LA so he is used to commuting. But, out here he has to drive everywhere ... and the idea of being able to take the train is very exciting for him. He can work while riding, versus being stuck behind the wheel of the car.

linicx ... I wasn't talking about living on Lake Michigan, but on another small body of water inland ... such as the Fox Lake area.

pvande55 ... I hope this isn't a stoopid question ... what is "the terminal of the Milwaukee North line" ... is that the train?

Thanks bunches everybody!!! Jules
Yes, Fox Lake is at the end of the line. Anyone still on will be woken up and taken off the train.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Yes, Fox Lake is at the end of the line. Anyone still on will be woken up and taken off the train.
Got it! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs