Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 04:12 PM

90 posts, read 311,878 times

Advertisements

My husband and I may be moving to Chicago before November, and would like suburb suggestions. He would be working at the Willis (Sears!) Tower, and would work staggered hours (not 9-5 business hours).
Initially, we would like to rent a suburban townhouse in a safe neighborhood, with a small yard for our dog. (We don't have kids.)
Is our budget of about $1500/month realistic? If so, which areas would you recommend?
And what kind of commute would we be looking at?
His job would pay for a parking pass or the train. Do you recommend driving or taking the train into the city?

Thanks for any input. I just need to know where to start my research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 06:32 AM

28 posts, read 96,663 times
$1,500 is realistic for a small townhouse within many communities outlining Chicago.

The train is the best way of getting into the city.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:33 PM

198 posts, read 822,395 times
How long do you want to commute (20, 30, 40 plus minutes)? Also how off are your hours? Certain lines and stops are better for off hours commuting. For example, if I went downtown for a meeting I knew was ending at 2 or 3, I would go out of Downers in the morning because they have mid-afternoon express trains that get me back in 1/2 hour. Depending on your hours there may be a specific station that suites your needs. But while the train is usually the best way in and out of the city if your job ends after the last train leaves (suburban routes don't go all night) then you may have to drive.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:40 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Be sure to check back on your thread in the city forum; I listed a suggestion in there worth looking into!

Old 09-27-2012, 02:14 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
Many metra trains end at Union station, which is a 3 minute walk from the Sears Tower. That offers a number of options.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:53 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,874,143 times
If you take the train to work, which most people do here, any suburb in Cook or DuPage is fine. If you want to ride CTA subway, Oak Park is a straight shot west and pretty decent. Maywood is also there but it is a bit more run down and trashy. And BTW, thank you for calling it the Sears Tower and not that stupid "other name".

Old 10-01-2012, 07:49 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
If you take the train to work, which most people do here, any suburb in Cook or DuPage is fine. If you want to ride CTA subway, Oak Park is a straight shot west and pretty decent. Maywood is also there but it is a bit more run down and trashy. And BTW, thank you for calling it the Sears Tower and not that stupid "other name".
You can ride the CTA to Oak Park, but from the loop west it is NOT a subway, but jut the "L"

Old 10-01-2012, 10:48 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
If you like a more urban type environment you could try Oak Park. You can take either the train or the L from there to the loop. The Tower is a short walk away. That is about the shortest commute.

You could also go out a bit further and venture to places such as Elmhurst, or Westmont, or on the Burlington line, La Grange, Riverside, Downers Grove, etc. The burlington line is the fastest and its closer to the tower as it stops in Union Station. I think Riverside is a beautiful town I encourage you to visit it. Of course there are many nice towns such as Naperville, Wheaton, Glen Ellyn but they are slightly farther west and it takes about forty or forty five min. on the train.

I do not suggest driving. Too congested and expensive.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:12 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,711,977 times
Depending on how off the hours are you might miss a train or two. However Union Station is a 3 minute walk to Sears Tower. There are many suburbs and some neighborhoods in Chicago you can live in for your price range.

www.metrarail.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs