Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 06:03 PM

677 posts, read 4,211,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Nanannie, There is an area in western Barrington Hills that feeds into (IMHO) a very poor performing school system (D300 Carpentersville).
Yes, the portion of Barrington Hills that falls into Kane County, with the exception of a few streets, is in district 300.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 10:51 PM

180 posts, read 378,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecisionTime View Post
We want a community, small-town feel.
Go for the town of Barrington then.

Hoffman Estates is the definition of suburbia with small lots and lots of strip malls, etc.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:51 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
I live in Barrington Hills, the kids here go to Barrington High school. Alot of the kids from Carpentersville go to Barrington High school. If there is a parent who lives close to C'ville/Dundee Crown district,they can petition to have their child go to BHS.,I am told its never a problam

Old 10-25-2007, 09:25 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
If there is a parent who lives close to C'ville/Dundee Crown district,they can petition to have their child go to BHS.,I am told its never a problam

If they "live close" to C'ville district yet still are in D220, they could attend D220 Barrington schools. But my friends live in the D300 portion of Barrington Hills and had to send their kids to D300 elem/middle schools. They did not have the option to send them to Barrington schools (and I know they contacted the district about this). I'm sure they would like to know about this petition process for the high school though. Since they don't pay taxes into District 220, how does that work? Maybe you can pay an out-of-district tuition to the high school?

BTW, there is a portion of Carpentersville that is in D220- Barrington so those kids can attend D220- Barrington H.S.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:24 AM

15 posts, read 45,614 times
Barrington and Arlington Heights are going to be our first pass when looking, based on comments here.

I have made my objectives clear to the realtor that we started working with,, but she keeps sending me listings from Elgin and Schaumburg - I don't understand why. I think it's time to move to a realtor who gets me!

It's hard to shop for a new community in IL from PA

Old 10-25-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
We want a community, small-town feel.
I would suggest you look specifically in "the Village" area of Barrington if you want a small-town feel. Also, you may want to consider Tower Lakes which is just north of Barrington. This is a family-friendly community with homes on a picturesque small lake. I have friends that love it there. They attend North Barrington elem. schools which are excellent.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:02 PM

Thank you - I hadn't heard of Tower Lakes before. I will look into - this board rocks!

Old 10-25-2007, 01:41 PM

Default Port Barrington, Lake Barrington, North Barrington, Barrington

Is there a difference? Or are they all different sections of same town? If I want to look specifically at "The Village" area of Barrington, where do I look?

Old 10-25-2007, 02:39 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
Quote:
Is there a difference? Or are they all different sections of same town? If I want to look specifically at "The Village" area of Barrington, where do I look?
You could ask for "in town" locations. Barrington is 90 sq miles divided into different villages. Barrington,-South Barrington,-Barrington Hills, -Lake Barrington,-Tower Lakes,-North Barrington. They are all serperate,but yes, all Barrington

Old 10-25-2007, 03:31 PM

Default How schools are funded in IL

Quote:
P.S. Also interested in knowing how schools are funded in IL... Your thoughts are appreciated. THANKS!

Illinois schools are primarily funded by property taxes. Therefore, there are great disparities in quality of education between different towns. In order to get better schools, you usually need to move to towns that have higher property values.

According to Clare Fauke, of A+ Illinois, a statewide campaign to improve the quality and funding of Illinois schools....

Of the 50 states, Illinois is ranked 49th in state funding for public schools. Fauke said that Illinois schools are primarily funded by property taxes, which means that in poorer communities the income from this tax is not enough to provide the students with the things they need like a longer school day, better teacher training and smaller class sizes.
"There is a huge difference and achievement gap, in test scores and overall achievement, between rich and poor communities," Fauke said.

In 1985 a law was enacted to deposit profits from the lottery in the Common School Fund. In fiscal year 2007 the lottery deposited $619 million, according to Mike Lange, public service administrator for the Illinois Lottery.
This is less than 3 percent of the total funds dedicated to education, Lange said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs