Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 05:17 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophidian14 View Post
It isn't. Portions of 355 and the Tri-State are posted 65.

Edit: I guess pvande is saying that the Tri-State is not posted 65 any more.
The Tri-State used to be posted 65 north of Rt 22. Perhaps it still is further north. I don't drive on it that far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 12:49 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
An expressway between Geneva and Oswego that's precious!

If you wanted a place with easy expressway access to all points yonder, your first mistake was to choose to live in sleepy little bedroom community on the far outskirts Chicagoland that is not near an expressway. Perhaps you should relocate to somewhere closer to the city that sits at the intersection of two or more major expressways like Park Ridge, Elmhurst, Oakbrook, Downers Grove, Rolling Meadows, etc. There are plenty of expressways in Chicagoland. Just none in Geneva.
I have to agree with this. Geneva and Oswego are really far from the core of Chicago (over 35 miles for Geneva, and more than 45 miles for Oswego). Go hang out in Northfield, MN and see how the freeways connect you there.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:44 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,713,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndale22 View Post
We are brand new to Chicagoland as of this week.
The first thing I asked myself after moving day was, why aren't there more freeways in the Chicagoland area?
There is no direct or simple way to get from Geneva to Oswego or Bolingbrook. There is no practical way to get from Geneva to Schaumburg, or heaven forbid I might want to go to some of the northern suburbs such as Northbook or Glenview.
Why aren't there freeways? Have they been proposed but failed? Have they simply never been considered? Are they on the radar?
Geneva to Oswego, you can just take Orchard pretty much the whole way.
Geneva to Bolingbrook just take 38 to 53.
Geneva to Northbrook/Glenview just take 355 to Palatine Rd.

I can see Geneva to Schaumburg.

I don't see it as a big deal, idk I guess I'm used to it.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:29 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,269,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Geneva to Oswego, you can just take Orchard pretty much the whole way.
Geneva to Bolingbrook just take 38 to 53.
Geneva to Northbrook/Glenview just take 355 to Palatine Rd.

I can see Geneva to Schaumburg.

I don't see it as a big deal, idk I guess I'm used to it.
IF planned freeways/tollways were built, that Geneva to Schaumburg would be faster via the Fox Valley Expressway and then the Elgin-O'Hare (with the completed western leg!)

Old 03-21-2013, 02:35 PM

6 posts, read 18,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndale22 View Post
Why is the speed limit 55mph on all the Chicagoland expressways? Is this just residual from the national speed limit days or is there a separate reason for such low limits??
Why is it on 65mph in rural areas? Same cause, undoubtedly, but why?
The state is in debt, and the most money they rake in (other than taxes) is from traffic violations. Since most people are always in a hurry they keep the limits lower so they have a good chance of getting people for speeding. Don't worry they're not concerned about your safety, they just want "their" $$$.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:39 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,923,553 times
Politics. It is not politically possible to tear down houses to build freeways. In the outer suburbs, where you don't need to tear anything down to build freeways, there are plenty of them.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:20 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,269,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Politics. It is not politically possible to tear down houses to build freeways. In the outer suburbs, where you don't need to tear anything down to build freeways, there are plenty of them.
I understand what you are saying, yet I do not feel there are "plenty". A lack of coordinated planning has resulted in key highways being cancelled (Fox Valley Freeway/Prairie Parkway) or perpetually postponed (Rte 53 extension/Mc Henry Freeway along rte 120 connecting to Rte 12 at Wi border)or partially built(Elgin_Ohare has no plans to continue to Elgin)

Old 03-22-2013, 11:42 AM

306 posts, read 480,416 times
Looks like someone dug up an old thread. Thanks for doing that for a friend of mine and I were talking the other day. Geneva and St. Charles, along with towns like South Elgin if possible would explode in growth if say hypothetically speaking another I-88 was created going west, not southwest. Say at 290, that another expressway was built that went through Lombard, Wheaton, Carol Stream, West Chicago, St. Charles and either cut up north with I-90 or south with 88.

As I said earlier, that is the one big disadvantage with living in the fox valley area, access to expressway, unless you live in south eastern batavia.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:53 PM

720 posts, read 1,085,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
Looks like someone dug up an old thread. Thanks for doing that for a friend of mine and I were talking the other day. Geneva and St. Charles, along with towns like South Elgin if possible would explode in growth if say hypothetically speaking another I-88 was created going west, not southwest. Say at 290, that another expressway was built that went through Lombard, Wheaton, Carol Stream, West Chicago, St. Charles and either cut up north with I-90 or south with 88.

As I said earlier, that is the one big disadvantage with living in the fox valley area, access to expressway, unless you live in south eastern batavia.
And those with our Southeastern Batavia living situations are extremely happy!

However, a more direct route to go north would be ideal. I certainly would not mind having an expressway to the west going through the rinky dinky Kaneland towns. Would probably lead to some expansion out there.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:28 AM

282 posts, read 438,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post

They are doing some expansion to IL 64 from 355 to St. Charles. So that might alleviate some traffic problems and give some added traffic volume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs