Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,475 times

Advertisements

Hello,

we are planning to move to Hawthorn woods.
We have 2 children 7 and 2. Does anybody know about this city.
Is it a good place for the children to grow.
The community we are interested in comes under stevenson school.
We currently live in hoffman estates, have lived there for 7 yrs.
I am kinda leary about moving to HW beacause it is further north and am not sure if there is enough
activities for the kids. What do you guys think about stevenson high school?
Looking for new constructions,...we see that there are many new constructions in HW and LZ area.
Your thoughts please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 03:36 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Schools in HW are mostly shared with Lake Zurich D95 which are mostly better than those of HE but if the area that your home feeds into is served by Stevenson you should know that has pretty consistently been a top 5 high school in terms of test scores though it is also a very large and pretty crowded school, conversely some of the homes that are served by Fremont elementary feed instead into Mundelien High and are far less desirable -- be sure if you are buying that your comps match schools so that you are getting apprasied against a short sale in a less desirable part of town...

I don't think it is a surprise that HW is every bit as car centered as HE, and the dominant pattern of development is mostly "twisty subdivisions" though many were built quite a while ago so there are mature trees and thee newer homes have pretty eye-popping tax bills.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:30 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,963 times
HW is a bit rural with large homes on 1 acre plus lots. Schools are very important when looking there because it feeds into a number of different high schools ranging from what may be the best in the state (Stevenson) to some schools much further down the list. So be very careful about this because crossing the street could mean the difference between Stevenson and a much lesser quality school. In this area (not just HW, but the entire area), homes in the Stevenson district will sell for more than an identical home in another district but in the same town. You will see in ads for homes for sale or for new developments where "Stevenson High School District" will be up front and prominent in the ad but there may not even be a mention of the town the property is actually in.

We looked at HW years ago but the one thing that concerned us was the lack of city water and sewer - at least at that time. Pretty much everything was well and septic and I know in some of the draught summers there were always stories in the Herald about people's wells running dry. Our insurance guy also told us our premiums would be higher there since there were no fire hydrants because there was no municipal water system. We had the same concern about Long Grove and eventually moved to the northern part of Buffalo Grove. Not as rural (or rural at all for that matter apart from the occassional farm), but in Stevenson district and with Lake Michigan water and municipal sewers.

Coming from Hoffman Estates where there is a municipal water and sewer system, this might be something to consider. I don't know if this has changed in recent years. Maybe someone who lives in HW can comment. But you might want to ask your realtor about this.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:55 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
I am pretty sure Long Grove's solution has been require all new homes to have residential fire sprinklers and an on-site water tank to feed the sprinklers. Adds costs and complexity to homes but addresses the fire safety...

Old 12-01-2012, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crao View Post
Hello,

we are planning to move to Hawthorn woods.
We have 2 children 7 and 2. Does anybody know about this city.
Is it a good place for the children to grow.
The community we are interested in comes under stevenson school.
We currently live in hoffman estates, have lived there for 7 yrs.
I am kinda leary about moving to HW beacause it is further north and am not sure if there is enough
activities for the kids. What do you guys think about stevenson high school?
Looking for new constructions,...we see that there are many new constructions in HW and LZ area.
Your thoughts please?
It is an awesome place to live. I live in unincorporated Mundelein right next to HWood and Lake Zurich. Schools are great, we have a local awesome YMCA, the houses are nice and the people are great.

I am a Realtor in this area and I would love to send you any information that you need. I moved here from Texas going on 6 years ago and am SOOOO grateful that we landed where we landed. I love it here. I can be a valuable resource for you and your family if you are interested. I have definitely been in your shoes.

God bless!
Kay Phillips
(972) 977-8926
[EMAIL="Kay@KayCanSell.com"]Kay@KayCanSell.com[/EMAIL]
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
1133 S Milwaukee Ave
Libertyville, IL 60048
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs