Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:08 AM

12 posts, read 27,633 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about moving to Hawthorn Woods. How is it like living in HW? Are there sections in HW that are better than others? How is LZ High School compare to Stevenson High School? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 10:45 AM

442 posts, read 1,509,171 times
The only thing different about Hawthorn Woods is that there is no town actually - it's just a group of subdivisions! No downtown at all. You can private message me about Barrington High School which has excellent test scores and opportunities.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:46 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
That is not true. Hawthorn Woods is indeed an incorporated village, with mayor and village board. And it is not just a "paper village" that exists only to keep other villages from taking it over. It has a police force and a municipal aquatic center. I believe the village will soon get Lake Michigan water. It is split into different High School districts. I believe Mundelein, Lake Zurich and Stevenson.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:51 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,040 times
Stevenson is the best of those high schools academically, and very well regarded. It's also completely humongous. Feel like each graduating class is over 1,000 students. This can make it difficult to make sports teams, etc.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:34 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
HW is beautiful.

Having said this, be aware of issues:

It feeds into 3 different school districts with very different perceptions and property taxes.

Do your own due dilligence as it relates to HW Finance Committee minutes, bond ratings and the Acquatic Center debt load.

If and when 53 is extended north of Lake-Cook, some properties will be impacted. This risk is offset to some extent by lower property values. Be aware this Rt 53 thing has been going on for a generation, now.

The blah-blah about the potential costs associated with some day tapping into Lake Michigan water can be found in village minutes. This issue is bigger than HW and impacts much of northern Lake County.

Proximity of some properties to the CNR tracks is a greater concern than it used to be because of the potential for increased train traffic. HW is most certainly not alone in being potentially impacted by increased freight train traffic.

None of this is meant to discourage you from HW. Rather go into it with your eyes wide open. All communities have strengths and weaknesses.

If you like the look and feel of HW, you may also like some parts of LZ, Kildeer, Deer Park, Lake Barrington, North Barrington and unincorporated Barrington.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 01-26-2010 at 01:47 PM..

Old 01-26-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
That is not true. Hawthorn Woods is indeed an incorporated village, with mayor and village board. And it is not just a "paper village" that exists only to keep other villages from taking it over. It has a police force and a municipal aquatic center. I believe the village will soon get Lake Michigan water. It is split into different High School districts. I believe Mundelein, Lake Zurich and Stevenson.
I didn't mean that it wasn't a town - just that there is no Main Street with shops, etc. There are gathering areas - like the aquatic center - but not an actual town center per se. But they do have a nice sense of community - a few years ago many people came out against a large mall that was planned for a nearby cornfield. Luckily the people of HW (and neighboring towns) stood up.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:25 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
I didn't mean that it wasn't a town - just that there is no Main Street with shops, etc. There are gathering areas - like the aquatic center - but not an actual town center per se. But they do have a nice sense of community - a few years ago many people came out against a large mall that was planned for a nearby cornfield. Luckily the people of HW (and neighboring towns) stood up.
Oh yes, I remember that one. There was a battle between Hawthorn Woods and North Barrington. Finally an agreement was reached that kept it from being built. And the 53 extension has been debated for decades. There was opposition and no funding for it. Because of a referendum last year, it is more likely to get built.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:30 PM

You are right - I think the Route 53 extension is inevitable. Oh, if only I could sell my house in Lake Barrington to the OP!!

Old 01-27-2010, 09:36 PM

65 posts, read 235,116 times
They have been talking up the 53 Extension for decades. It will years before it happens, if at all. The area of HW that "could" be affected by the extension is on the outskirts of the village. Stevenson HS zoned area.

Lake Zurich schools are an excellent choice. We went with LZ schools across the board. LZHS is a much more manageable campus. Did not like the idea of Mundelein schools for K-8. Which is what you would get if you wanted Stevenson for HS.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,816 times
Default Horrible government system

Hawthorn Woods has made an art of charging multiple fees. Plan on hundreds of dollars a year more licensing fees for personal property than surrounding communities. Also be aware that recent budget cuts reduced the police force so the current admiistration has directed all of the remaining force that if they want better work hours, they need to write enough citations to be able to afford more staff.

Home buyers should be very wary of getting stuck in Hawthorn Woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs