Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 11:54 AM

6 posts, read 11,918 times

Advertisements

Hi my name is Amith Sai and my nephew has a mild Autism and he is currently located in New Jersey and he would be moving to Chicago for his birthday in june. And kinda helping him find a preschool in the suburbs of Chicago. I would like to know if theres anyone with information or have already been through the processes.If so please reply to the post.

Thank you all..!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 01:13 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amithsai1 View Post
Hi my name is Amith Sai and my nephew has a mild Autism and he is currently located in New Jersey and he would be moving to Chicago for his birthday in june. And kinda helping him find a preschool in the suburbs of Chicago. I would like to know if theres anyone with information or have already been through the processes.If so please reply to the post.

Thank you all..!
If you are in Evanston or Skokie, try Cherry Preschool. Note that it is not a daycare, so if you need full time, it would not work, but... they are fantastically inclusive for all children.

Warren K Cherry Pre-School - Evanston, Illinois - IL - School overview

Preschool teaches inclusion - Chicago Tribune

Old 12-31-2012, 01:14 PM

694 posts, read 2,015,838 times
Pick a place to live in "Chicago" and research preschools within 5 miles or so of the address that best match your needs. Pick the pre-school that best meets your needs. See how simple that is!

Old 12-31-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
Pick a place to live in "Chicago" and research preschools within 5 miles or so of the address that best match your needs. Pick the pre-school that best meets your needs. See how simple that is!
It's not that simple when the child has autism.. seriously very few preschools do well with autistic children unless they are already very knowledgeable and willing to accept special needs children. Many typical preschools do not want to be bothered.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:16 AM

6 posts, read 11,918 times
Oak Park or Naperville are the places am looking.The thing is he gonna be 3years in june. Am looking like a special needs schools before he gets in to the regular school.Wish you all a Happy new year..n thank you for the posts..!

Old 01-01-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Oak Park or Naperville are the places am looking.The thing is he gonna be 3years in june. Am looking like a special needs schools before he gets in to the regular school.Wish you all a Happy new year..n thank you for the posts..!
While I don't know about those particular suburbs, look at the public school special needs preschools or headstart.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
Yes, your best bet is public special needs preschool and every district has them. If he has been in a state run Early Intervention program which helps kids birth to 3, his case manager should be able to help you find a school district person to contact for him. Or when you get to Illinois, contact the nearest Child and Family Connections office, wherever they settle. They have offices throughout the state. They are able to help you get what is needed.

I worked in the Illinois system a while back, but am sure its the same (or better) than before. This is a federally mandated program for little kids with disabilities and autism is one of them. Good luck.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
At three, the public schools take over from early intervention (not sure of the name in Illinois). They have special needs preschool classes for 3 to 5 year olds.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:45 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
EI in Illinois is Child and Family Connections. CFC

Old 05-21-2013, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,560 times
Default Moving to Chicago with 8 year Autistic son

Hi,
We(myself, my wife) and our 8 year old son need to move to Chicago from London in July end. We had earlier stayed in US in NJ for few years and my son was born in NJ.
My son is diagnosed with Austistic spectrum disorder. He has been going in mainstream school in London, but required special instructor and 1-1 help (with considerable problems). He can speak English, but his overall practical understanding and attention span is quite less. He is good in mathematics and has a very good memory. He also requires significant behavioral and emotional help at school. He is a very affectionate child otherwise but has not been able to build any confidence due to lack of friends and social circle.
So we want to make sure that we start correctly when looking for school district, housing etc so as to minimize the settling in period as much as possible. I do know and understand that it will take many months for him to settle, so we are very worried and want to take the first steps in settling correctly.

I will be travelling on work to St Louis(Mon to Thu) every week, and my wife will need to get a new drivers license. So in the initial period, we will require to use as much public transport as possible.
Since we have never been to Chicago earlier, so any help and directions will be very welcome. Thank you for your help in anticipation !

Regards,
Prateek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs