Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 03:04 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times

Advertisements

Id also agree to stay away from Plainfield. The town is nice, but the commute to Itasca would kick your butt and drag you through the mud every day. IOW, its a bad commute, even on 355.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 12:03 PM

9 posts, read 21,610 times
Any idea what the commute from the Aurora area is like to Itasca? I have read some not so good things about the Aurora area, however, i have also seen some nice housing in that area. Any thoughts??

Old 10-29-2007, 02:50 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,540,967 times
I think the commute from Aurora to Itasca would be about the same as the commute from Plainfield to Itasca (around an hour?). Aurora is kind of patchy, it has some nice areas and some not so nice areas. So if you decide to buy there, make sure you are in one of the better areas. I assume you will be coming to the area to check out homes, I suggest that when you do, maybe try doing the commute in rush hour from the towns you are interested in. That way you can see for yourself if the commutes are doable for you. Hope this helps. :-)

Old 10-29-2007, 04:56 PM

We will definitely be visiting the area, probably in mid November, and will try the different routes during the rush hour, both in the morning and afternoon.
Thank you for the reply )

Old 11-17-2007, 08:23 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
Default i live in itasca

Jo-Anne,

I've lived here most of my life. Housing in Dupage county is pretty costly, though there are a few towns near by where you may find something.

as mentioned; Roselle, Addison, Elk Grove, Bensenville and possibly Wood Dale. Elk Grove is in Cook County, so i dont know much about houseing or taxes.

all of those are 5-10 min drive.

yes, going south you will get more for your money - but then also taking in the commute and gas prices $3+ a gallon and climbing.

the comments about 355 being the best highway/tollway for the drive is correct. I would not go north (Lake County, etc) as mentioned, no good direct route, and the highway from there is horrid. and 355 is a toll way. if you dont get the Ipass, you pay double the tolls, plus you have to stop to pay the tolls as opposed to the electronic pass thing.

feel free to contact me if you have any questions on the itasca area,

tcs.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:59 AM

356 posts, read 542,035 times
Itasca is not bad-- dont set yourself for a long commute--especially with projected gas prices for next year!

Old 02-07-2008, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
Jo-Anne,

I've lived here most of my life. Housing in Dupage county is pretty costly, though there are a few towns near by where you may find something.

as mentioned; Roselle, Addison, Elk Grove, Bensenville and possibly Wood Dale. Elk Grove is in Cook County, so i dont know much about houseing or taxes.

all of those are 5-10 min drive.

yes, going south you will get more for your money - but then also taking in the commute and gas prices $3+ a gallon and climbing.

the comments about 355 being the best highway/tollway for the drive is correct. I would not go north (Lake County, etc) as mentioned, no good direct route, and the highway from there is horrid. and 355 is a toll way. if you dont get the Ipass, you pay double the tolls, plus you have to stop to pay the tolls as opposed to the electronic pass thing.

feel free to contact me if you have any questions on the itasca area,

tcs.
I currently live in Elk Grove, it's a nice town, but the homes are expensive. Property taxes aren't bad, but you're looking at $250,000 plus for a house here. A friend of mine lives in Addison, from what she tells me it's not a very good town, and the better parts are very expensive as well. I know there are expensive homes in Wooddale also, but I'm not very familiar with it.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:19 PM

OK..so having done months of research since first posting, I am taking the advice and discounting the Plainfield/Romeoville areas, "the commute to Itasca would kick your butt and drag you through the mud every day." (thanks Steve-O)
Our transfer is now official for June 1, and we will be visiting the area next week (were supposed to fly in yesterday...snow cancelled our flight, anyway,) Our real estate agent has suggested Lombard, Addison and Roselle, we also like the look of Carol Stream. We are looking for a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home preferably with a family room or basement. Our goal is find a home under $250,000. As previously posted, elementary and high school is not an issue as both my daughters are planning to attend college or university.
Thanks for all your comments )

Old 02-07-2008, 06:41 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Anne View Post
OK..so having done months of research since first posting, I am taking the advice and discounting the Plainfield/Romeoville areas, "the commute to Itasca would kick your butt and drag you through the mud every day." (thanks Steve-O)
Our transfer is now official for June 1, and we will be visiting the area next week (were supposed to fly in yesterday...snow cancelled our flight, anyway,) Our real estate agent has suggested Lombard, Addison and Roselle, we also like the look of Carol Stream. We are looking for a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home preferably with a family room or basement. Our goal is find a home under $250,000. As previously posted, elementary and high school is not an issue as both my daughters are planning to attend college or university.
Thanks for all your comments )
Of your towns, I like Lombard the best. If you can find a house for that, it would be a great investment. The surrounding burbs are great (Glen Ellyn-Elmhurst etc) Its a nice 'downtown' with parks and good schools for resale, and you have an easy commute when needed to the city via metra. Carol Stream is ok, has some iffy areas. Addison is lots of industrial areas and endless strip malls, again, iffy areas. Roselle-easy commute for you, lots of strip malls/shopping. If there is a 'downtown' area to Roselle,Addison or CS,I am unfamiliar with it.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:45 PM

759 posts, read 3,143,434 times
If your daughter is school age, I would suggest Roselle or Schaumburg. You would have an easy commute and good schools for your child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs