Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 11:43 AM

9 posts, read 15,023 times

Advertisements

Hi All! I am looking for insight into the actual racial demographics of the following villages: Flossmoor, Homewood, and Country Club Hills. I am a black exec with mixed (black/white) children so I am looking to buy a home in one of these suburbs that has a good mixed ratio of black and white residents or one with prominent number of black professionals with good schools. I read online that these cities offer what I want, but would like to get insight and recommendations from actual residents or people who know of city. Flossmoor seems like the best place, but wonder if it is segregated.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 03:45 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
My building in Flossmoor is like 50/50 white/black. You won't find a neighborhood like that in CC Hills. However, there are parts of CC Hills that may have an appropriate housing stock for a "black exec". Your best bet is Homewood or Flossmoor, especially if racial diversity is a priority.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:38 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
The other little place is called Olympia Fields. The 2010 census demographics is roughly 70% black, 25% white and the balance is others. Black executives do live here. The country club was formed circa 1915; its well regarded. Where your children attend school depends upon where you live.

I don't live there; I never did. I like the area. Within the last couple of years the Homewood/Flossmoor HS received some nice press for its APY program. One of the boys that excelled in advanced math was prominent. That he is black is moot. He was recognized for his achievements as were his school mates. The other school option would be home school, church school or private school. I don't know how well the houses in the general area are holding their value since the housing market crashed.

If you can, it would probably be wise to come for a week and investigate the area and the schools. If you are not tied to this part of Cook County, there are another areas where you and your family would be welcome too.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:14 PM

Another little place is called Matteson if you're looking further south. Schools in Matteson and Olympia Fields aren't diverse anymore if you are raising kids. It's a shame because I went to them and they were diverse then.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:29 PM

It's really sad about your school. I just read an earlier thread about gentrifying and reasons. OF, H/F was mentioned as an example of diversity where home values were declining in the whole area.

How is it now? Has the housing market stabilized and begun to recover?

I thought the sky was falling at Matteson because some mall stores closed? How is it now?

Old 06-04-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
It's really sad about your school. I just read an earlier thread about gentrifying and reasons. OF, H/F was mentioned as an example of diversity where home values were declining in the whole area.

How is it now? Has the housing market stabilized and begun to recover?

I thought the sky was falling at Matteson because some mall stores closed? How is it now?
I don't care as much about the state of retail in Matteson anymore since I moved to Flossmoor. When I lived in Monee, I had to drive a minimum of a half hour for other shopping options.

"Some" stores in Lincoln Mall closed, lol. I suggest you actually visit these areas you post about, Linincx. But no, there's not much left down there.. Although the resturants seem to be doing fine.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:35 PM

...Matteson still has some stores but not much. People who live by Matteson have to drive further out for a number of things.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I don't care as much about the state of retail in Matteson anymore since I moved to Flossmoor. When I lived in Monee, I had to drive a minimum of a half hour for other shopping options.
Be grateful. I have to find someone willing to drive me 50 miles for those 'other shopping options.'

Old 06-04-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Be grateful. I have to find someone willing to drive me 50 miles for those 'other shopping options.'
It's quite different when you're living in a populated urban area and the retail landscape is somehow looking more and more like a ghost town.. A cornfield is more desirable than a vacant lot or an abandoned strip mall.

Last edited by urza216; 06-04-2013 at 09:26 PM..

Old 06-05-2013, 10:12 AM

My comment was tongue in cheek. I forgot to put up .

I don't think an abandonded strip mall is attractive anywhere. I'd argue the value of a vacant lot would depend upon the location. And of course the cornfield or ranch is alway desirable in rural areas that can support it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs