Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 12:21 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,326,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The last time my family had a gathering in Chicago It took us 30 minutes to drive 1.5 miles, there was no parking, we had to slam on the brakes and not turn right on red at several intersections to avoid a red light cam ticket, and my Aunt got a ticket bceuase she literally didn't make it to the pay box in time before the meter maid happily ticketed her (less than 5 minutes) and the sales tax was ~11% on the bill. That was the last time we met at a restuarant in the city.
I am starting to get the impression you are a miserable person. Be it in the Chicago Burbs forums or the Work & Employment forums, you are always so negative, whiney and unhappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 12:29 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,507,326 times
I love having the convenience / variety that comes being so close to such a wonderful range of city neighborhoods / entertainment - dining - sports - cultural options. Honestly even when I visit friends in places like DC I get pretty stir crazy / bored with how one dimensional much of the life out there is, there is like zero overlap between people that go to live music in DC or a Nationals / Capitals game and the hordes of people that work in Virginia or Maryland...

I get really annoyed at our ridiculous political shenanigans. I agree that for what we pay in income taxes and property taxes we should a have state that does a whole heckuva lot more to improve transportation, safety, and government transparency / accountability. It also makes me angry that this state has such lousy eductional system for such a huge percentage / number of kids - honestly when I visit Wisonsin or Iowa I can tell within seconds that even the schools in urban area of those states just do a heckuva lot more to help even the least talented folks be at least conversant in the dominant language and able to use basic math skills to get a job in a retail store...

When there is a layer of ice on my sidewalk and it is pitch black when I leave home or come back I sorta get jealous of my friends in Austin or San Diego but that is pretty normal.

I worry that WHEN the idiots in Springfield start f'ing over the pensioneers and the suburban schools and municipalities and do nothing to improve the tax situation for the major employers there will be a really awful shift toward places that have more going for 'em and a whole lot people are going to be trying to sell homes at greatly depressed prices on our way out...

I have some optimism that pragmatic leaders will displace the kleptocrats before it is too late but every time some imebicle starts making excuses for the current elected officials that keep telling the same lies that hope fades.

Oh and absolute morons that clearly have never set foot out of 606xx and dismiss everything outside the city limites should be run through with a sharpened telphone pole and hung along the skyway like Vlad the Impaler lined the road out to the Ottoman Empire...

Old 08-27-2013, 12:34 PM

745 posts, read 494,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Just want honest answers. Indulge me. Are you there because it's where you and your family is from, or do you love it there? What is your outlook on Chicago and it's future? From the outside, it looks so dynamic, but then obiviously you hear about the murder rate, political issues, etc.

Before anyone goes off on me, I am still looking to relocate and Chicago has been on my mind. I really hate where I live.

Chicago is in my final 2 or 3 (Ann Arbor, Seattle, Denver is now 4th). Because of the schools, I want to live in the burbs and maybe visit Chicago on the weekends.
Hi there. I could address your questions as you ask them, but I don't think they will much answer what you really want to know, as in, should you move here. The short answer is, you could do worse, at least for a few years.

Jobs wise, you've got a big job market here, so you'll most likely land something that will support you.

Getting into the city from the suburbs is fairly easy by car or train. And of course, the city has all the usual stuff people like about big cities: world-class museums, huge dining selection, bars galore, shows/events, Bears, Hawks, Bulls, Cubs...uhhh, that other team down there. Just a bunch of things to do if you're so inclined. And of course Chicago itself is a pretty one, at least in parts like downtown, areas near the lake...you'll figure it out.

You got your big airports, you got the rail or bus to anywhere if you prefer that. Lots of travel options.

Schools, whether you mean college for you, or you saying you have school-aged kids, either way you're good there. Suburban schools are generally fine. You've got the great uni's like U of I, NW, whatever. The jr. colleges are great too, generally.

As for the murder rate and political issues, you could relax because they will most likely have no bearing on your life whatsoever, being a suburbanite and all (I should say it depends on the suburban area, so do your research).

With all that said, we're aiming to get out of here eventually to someplace less busy, cheaper, and more naturally scenic, and with better weather. Because when the schools are no longer a priority, when the career is established and could be done from anywhere, and the museums/restaurants/events etc. are all enjoyed more often on vacations to different locales than into the city, staying here turns into, yeh, because of family, friends, familiarity and routine.

Hope all that helps you.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:40 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,459,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
I am starting to get the impression you are a miserable person. Be it in the Chicago Burbs forums or the Work & Employment forums, you are always so negative, whiney and unhappy.
I lived in Georgia for a year and it was paradise. Unfortunately I got laid off and there are no jobs there and my mother fell apart so I have to take care of her so I moved back here.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:45 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,732,640 times
Quote:
I lived in Georgia for a year and it was paradise. Unfortunately I got laid off and there are no jobs there and my mother fell apart so I have to take care of her so I moved back here.
Makes sense, Georgia is one the most awful places in the US I have visited.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:48 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,459,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Makes sense, Georgia is one the most awful places in the US I have visited.
Perhaps in parts of Atlanta or places like Columbus but there are large areas with some of the most beautiful outdoor scenery I ever experienced. It also had some of the best year round bicycling I ever enjoyed. Also the cost of living was much more managable and if the politicians tried some of the crap they routinely pull here they'd be run out of town with pitchforks.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Perhaps in parts of Atlanta or places like Columbus but there are large areas with some of the most beautiful outdoor scenery I ever experienced. It also had some of the best year round bicycling I ever enjoyed. Also the cost of living was much more managable and if the politicians tried some of the crap they routinely pull here they'd be run out of town with pitchforks.
Really? Some of the most beautiful? Wow

Old 08-27-2013, 12:58 PM

745 posts, read 494,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Really? Some of the most beautiful? Wow
Never been to north GA, eh?

Old 08-27-2013, 01:05 PM

121 posts, read 199,503 times
Happy as a clam. (Are clams happy?)

Old 08-27-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
Never been to north GA, eh?
I've been, Georgia is nowhere near being in the top 100 most beautiful places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs