Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 01:49 PM

21 posts, read 73,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidreemer View Post
I guess there are more locations then one for the Farmer's Market in Evanston. I thought it was always on Emerson near Technology Park? Or did it move? I'll have to ask my sister - she goes to the market every weekend so I'll see if she can get me some info. I should also check with our FM and see if there is anything close to us. During the summer and fall it's Ok because we can get our local, fresh produce, but from Nov - mid June we don't have that option. What do they do over the winter? Do they still offer anything? Canned items?

Thanks! Evanston has so much to offer - I know Jay and her family will love it!
The regular farmer's market is still on Saturdays as you note. The Ridgeville market is on Wednesday afternoons. It's much smaller but still a nice thing for south Evanston. Despite the concerns about property crime, et al in south Evanston, there are some really great people and things going on there which don't get much publicity on these boards.

While the farmers markets don't operate over the winter months, there are some CSAs and other organic/local clearinghouses that will deliver boxes of produce to your home throughout the full year (with varying amounts of the items being local depending on the time of year and the paticular vendor) - FreshPicks, Timber Creek Farms, Greenleaf grocery (Rogers Park), Kings Hill CSA, etc.

Last edited by chiados; 07-10-2008 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 01:59 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
We are moving into our rental tomorrow and I'm so excited! I am really enjoying it here.
Wait till January... I know you were originally from Michigan, but it will still be a shock to your system after all of those warm California winters.

Evanston (and Chicago) are great towns! Good luck with your move!

Old 07-10-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Wait till January... I know you were originally from Michigan, but it will still be a shock to your system after all of those warm California winters.

Evanston (and Chicago) are great towns! Good luck with your move!
Let's just let her enjoy it now and face winter when it rears its nasty head.

Since it's truly summer, you might enjoy Hartigan's on Central for ice cream/sherbet or Linz & Vail on Noyes for Gelato. Based on your food preferences, and until you make it to the farmers market, etc. you might also add Addis Abeba on Chicago Avenue and Reverence Cafe on Oak (haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it's organic and near your rental I believe) to your list of meal options.

Last edited by chiados; 07-10-2008 at 02:46 PM..

Old 07-10-2008, 02:48 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
I cant believe this thread is still going! lol

Old 07-10-2008, 04:05 PM

702 posts, read 2,524,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiados View Post
The regular farmer's market is still on Saturdays as you note. The Ridgeville market is on Wednesday afternoons. It's much smaller but still a nice thing for south Evanston. Despite the concerns about property crime, et al in south Evanston, there are some really great people and things going on there which don't get much publicity on these boards.

While the farmers markets don't operate over the winter months, there are some CSAs and other organic/local clearinghouses that will deliver boxes of produce to your home throughout the full year (with varying amounts of the items being local depending on the time of year and the paticular vendor) - FreshPicks, Timber Creek Farms, Greenleaf grocery (Rogers Park), Kings Hill CSA, etc.
Thanks for the information. It's funny you mentioned Hartigan's - both of my sister's worked there in high school when it was B&R (same owners) - it's kind of a right of passage for many Evanston teens - the owners were great with that age group.

BTW OP is Vegan so I don't think they do ice cream unless it's soy

Old 07-10-2008, 04:12 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Vegan or vegetarian? It's a big difference, especially as far as ice cream is concerned...

By the way Jaynetarzana, you and hubby should check out the Green Zebra in Ukranian Village. It's the best vegetarian restaurant in town, and takes it to the fine dining level.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:47 PM

Jay is Vegan - so that's a huge lifestyle committed to not using any animal derived products. Vegetarian is the umbrella under which Vegan's fall - there are different types of vegetarians - like semi - veg (limit some meats ect), ovo - lacto (eggs and dairy) Vegans and maybe some others. I'm no expert, but I think that's how it goes - please correct me if I am wrong. I fall under the semi - veg - chicken, turkey, some varieties of fish (about 5), and shrimp, cheese and that's about it - oh and occassionally honey.

Green Zebra sounds like a good place to eat!

Old 07-10-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the information. It's funny you mentioned Hartigan's - both of my sister's worked there in high school when it was B&R (same owners) - it's kind of a right of passage for many Evanston teens - the owners were great with that age group.

Oops! I knew she was vegetarian but missed that she was vegan. That's a whole other "kettle of tempeh," as they say.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:33 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,725,917 times
Jay,

My son reminded me today of a very very fun thing you can do with your kids in Evanston. On NU's campus, by the power plant, there is a pond filled with large carp. They are extremely tame and love breadcrumbs. My kids used to have a blast feeding them when we were at NU for kids stuff.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:16 PM

That's a great suggestion Anthera - we used to feed them too. It's amazing how large they get!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs